Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2657 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2008 10:53 AM by carri2008
EMTmomto4 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 3, 2008 1:55 PM

Can I really DO this!??

I have seriously admired runners all my life.  Just recently I have started to think about becoming one myself.  I don't me, kinda thinking about it.  More like THIRSTING to do it.:8}  Runners always look so.....peaceful.  They look like they don't have a care in the world, like they are in the zone.  When people run by my house, I practically turn green with envy because I want to do it!!

I have read the Couch To 5k plan, I want to start it, but I am so nervous! I have lost almost all of my self confidence since I put on a bunch of extra weight (think 80 pounds! lol

So can someone like me really do it?  Someone who is completely out of shape, slightly depressed and really feeling frumpy?

Please tell me yes!!;)

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 3, 2008 4:12 PM (in response to EMTmomto4)
    Re: Can I really DO this!??

Short answer: Yes, you can do it!

Longer answer: Couch to 5k (c25k) really is designed to help people build the endurance to run either for 30 minutes OR for 5k (not both at once). If you browse around, you'll see success stories from people coming from all sorts of situations. Some people are once-fit people who want to be in slightly better shape, others are facing substantial weight-loss for their health. The one common thread is that if you apply yourself and take advantage of the support that's available here (and hopefully from your friends and family), the sky's the limit!

It's important to remember that the program is only a guideline. If you find that it's not working for you, feel free to tweak it a little bit. It's written to be competed in nine weeks, but many of us (including me) have repeated weeks. There's nothing at all wrong with that.

If you do decide to start the program, you do need to make one investment: properly fitted running shoes. That means heading out to a local running specialty store (NOT a shoe store, sporting goods store, or Foot Locker type of store) and having them take a look at how you stand, walk, and run so they can see how your feet will respond. That determines the type of shoe you should be wearing. Wearing the wrong shoes is a fast-track to injury and general unhappiness. It might cost you a little more (maybe not), but it's absolutely essential.

You might find that the program starts at a level you can't manage just yet. Again, no problem. Back it up and just walk for a few weeks, until you feel like you can give week one a try.

That's a start. I'm sure others will chime in with their own thoughts. If you're so inclined, see about linking up with some other people on the forum who are just starting the program around the same time as you. It's amazing how motivating it can be to share the experience with others who are in the same boat. I'm still in touch with several of the people who completed the program at the same time as I did (we post in the "Long Haul" thread; you're certainly welcome to join us there), and we still support each other.

(Edited to add: Just be careful about any medical conditions you might have. You didn't mention anything that seems like it'd be a problem right away, but it's a good idea to be careful! Get clearance from your doctor if you have any concerns.)

Welcome to the forums and to the beginning of your life as a runner!

Don

P.S. Not to burst your bubble, but not every run is zen-like. Some of 'em downright suck. The good ones more than make up for it, though.

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Sep 4, 2008 4:53 AM (in response to EMTmomto4)

Yes you really can ! .. go for it

I`m 50lbs lighter, I have run a 1/2 marathon and I`m planning to run a full next year and I feel healthy and strong and I love the new me !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• lynna065 Amateur 65 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Sep 4, 2008 5:05 AM (in response to spicegeek)

Yes you can.  After a couple of false starts, I found the C25K and started in April.  I finished on July 4.  I have continued to run.  I turned 53 on July 6.  Not all runs are great.  Some are a struggle, but when you finish you feel good about yourself.  One of these days I'm going to enter a 5k race.  I don't feel ready for that yet...maybe this fall.

My Dad has been running for a long time.  He started when he was 56, he will be 75 in September.  He walks more during his runs, but still gets out there.  I hope I'm doing as well when I'm 75.

Training Log

• schrunner Rookie 110 posts since
    Jun 26, 2008
    4. Sep 4, 2008 10:05 AM (in response to EMTmomto4)

Yep! You can! If you need to repeat a week do it. The point is to get out there and get moving. Good luck!

• carri2008 Amateur 24 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    5. Sep 4, 2008 10:53 AM (in response to EMTmomto4)

Like said before, YES YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!  But if you sit there and second guess yourself, it won't happen.  Put on a pair on running shoes and go from there.  I have to save i agree with what was said before about not everytime running being ephoric.  But the good out ways the bad and when I'm done I say,WOW, I did it.  You have to start some where.  I may be wrong, but I doubt most of us did't start with the ability to run 2-3 miles right off the bat.  Running is something you and you alone can be incharge of.  We all have reasons not to run.  I could go on all day why I don't feel like it.  But I set this goal to run a half a marathon, this Sunday, and it is my responsibility to be there.  Its simply, you can run.  You may not get far the first time, but the second time you'll get farther.  Before you know it you'll be out there with that feeling of " Thank You Jesus, I'm running".  So go for it, one step at a time.  Let us know how you do. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...