Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16581 Views 35 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2010 4:54 PM by GS8 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • MaryAliceVarga Amateur 27 posts since
    Oct 11, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 9, 2009 3:35 PM (in response to rafael6m9d)
    Re: Ipod nano or Ipod Touch?

I vote for the shuffle! I have an iTouch and cannot deal with the huge thing!! The shuffle is small and just great! I've never had problems with it and as someone else said, it's affordable!

Mary Alice

• kevpugh Pro 72 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    16. Apr 11, 2009 9:55 AM (in response to rafael6m9d)

I've run with a classic (which has never skipped or given me any problems through 8 marathon training cycles), but I now run with my iPhone. When I'm out on remote trails, it's just smart to have a cell phone with you...and I used to run with both an iPod AND a phone...so, this was the best way to cut down on the "stuff" I bring with me on long runs. For shorter runs, I think the Nano would do it for me. The touch is really better suited to all the different apps that are out there. If you're just looking to have music along with you for your runs, I'd totally go for the nano.

:: Kevin, from PuggerRunner.com

• Norbertt Expert 54 posts since
    Jul 4, 2008
    17. Apr 12, 2009 12:26 PM (in response to rafael6m9d)

I myself have an iphone and have not yet run with it , but would suggest the nano. If for no other reason then when you fall you will not be out $200

• runnerJ824 Pro 168 posts since
    Mar 19, 2009
    18. Apr 13, 2009 11:58 AM (in response to Norbertt)
    Norbertt wrote:

I myself have an iphone and have not yet run with it , but would suggest the nano. If for no other reason then when you fall you will not be out $200

I stopped running with my iPhone when I discovered that there are moving parts in its hard drive, which can damage your phone for good. I run with my Nano and Nike+ now.

Jul 4, 2008
    19. Apr 13, 2009 12:21 PM (in response to rafael6m9d)

^^^ Not sure on that , being that they've only released an 8 or 16gb versions my guess would be that they are using Solid State Drives (No moving parts). The advantages over hard drives are :

#1. No moving parts , duh.

#2. Faster read/write times.

Cons :

More costly and generally smaller sizes for data.

Have a finitae number of times they can be written.

I really doubt they use a regular hdd in the iphone , let alone one that's so small. 

• runnerJ824 Pro 168 posts since
    Mar 19, 2009
    20. Apr 13, 2009 1:11 PM (in response to Norbertt)

Well this news came as a shock to me but the Apple store rep said that this the reason why Nike+ does not work for the iPhone b/c it has moving parts and not designed for running.

Jul 4, 2008
    21. Apr 13, 2009 1:13 PM (in response to runnerJ824)

Hmm , quite surprising , but I'll take your word for it . So what he said ^^

• Ssorad Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 30, 2008
    22. Apr 16, 2009 12:07 PM (in response to rafael6m9d)

This is just opinion, but I like to workout almost everyday. I am a fire fighter, and there was a guy in my station who asked the same question. Yes they are similarly, and yes they are different. Here is the bottom line. How often do you workout, and listen to music as you do it? Do you listen to music at home while cleaning, hanging out, just relaxing? This is what I told him, get the touch. When it comes to memory space, and music, you want more than you are going to need. You never know how long you are going to be listening to music, and where. The touch gives the chance to have so much music, create many place list for your moods. And to me that was very important. I will listen to different music  while lifting weights, compared to running, and cycling. I know this is long, but here is my point. He bought the nano, and realized that he started hearing the same songs over, and over, because of the memory space. Yes there are all kinds of added features on the touch, and maybe you will start to us them later. But it is better to have and not need, than it is to no have, and want.  :). He later bought the touch, and apologized for not getting it in the first place. So he ended up spending more money later.          GET THE TOUCH! 

P.S.   There are many different caring cases for the touch. it really is not heavy, or bulky.

• RobSiragusa Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 28, 2008
    23. Apr 30, 2009 7:40 AM (in response to rafael6m9d)

I just picked up a 4G Nano. It's really great. the touch plays games and is more of a mini computer. you can put all kinds of apps on it. if this is important to you get a touch. if you just want music, movies, a few games and portbility get the Nano.

Rob
    www.MySpaceCodeZone.net

• SugarJ85 Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    24. Jul 28, 2009 6:24 PM (in response to RobSiragusa)

For the ipod shuffle - can you see the different songs on screen and play whichever songs you want? Or, does it just shuffle whatever is on there and you can't control it?

Thanks!

• Manchu6 Amateur 20 posts since
    Aug 16, 2009
    25. Aug 16, 2009 10:15 PM (in response to rafael6m9d)

Try out a Zune, they work great!

• 96Yankees Expert 59 posts since
    Nov 15, 2009
    26. Dec 1, 2009 5:20 AM (in response to rafael6m9d)

I faced the same dilemma about a month ago.  My 30g Classic died and it was overflowing with music.  At about the time I bought the classic (3 years ago), I also bought my wife a Nano.  Guess which one I took running.   The classic was too bulky and it bounced all over the place.  Also, it skipped a lot, especially when running downhill. Needless to say, my wife wasn't very happy that I hijacked her Nano for the last three years while my Classic rotted.  Last month I needed to decide between the Nano, Touch, and Classic. Here's a quick list of questions to help you decide what you need:

1.  How much music do you own/ want to own?

Since the Nano comes in 16g, the Touch is 32g and the Classic is now 160g (is that correct?), they all hold a lot of music compared to their old school versions.  If you don't have or want a lot of music, then size really isn't an issue.

2.  If size does metter, is sound quality an issue?

Music files can be shrunk down to create more space on whatever device you choose.  This decreases sound quality just a bit, but most people never notice the drop-off with standard earbuds on an iPod.  Note: if you plan on pluggin this device into your home theater system, you will notice the dropoff.

3.  What else will you use this device for?

Other users have pointed out the advantages of the Touch.

4.  Will the bigger, bulkier device bother you when you run?

It bothered me, but then I see people running with huge MP3 players and phones all the time.

Whatever you get, this is really a personal decision that hinges on the size of your library, personal preferrences and how you will use the machine.  If I were you, I would also purchase a couple of running bands with whatever device you go with.  Try out different combos over the course of a week and see if you're satisfied with what you have.  If not, return what you purchased and consider the other device.  I went with the 16G Nano.  It's great and my wife has her Nano back...

2009 Richmond Marathon 4:08:24

2009 VMI 5k 23:18

• runningawaymama Amateur 13 posts since
    Nov 6, 2009
    27. Dec 7, 2009 11:05 AM (in response to rafael6m9d)

For me, I mainly use my iPod for running and listening in the car.  I prefer the nano b/c its smaller and I don't like wearing big bulky things on my arm.

• fun2bme24 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 23, 2009
    28. Dec 9, 2009 7:18 PM (in response to runningawaymama)

I have an iPhone and I LOVE it for lots of reasons!!!!  I run with my phone and have run into problems just recently when I started running faster and longer.  It randomly started going into a super speed shuffle.  I went to my settings and discovered that "shake to shuffle" was turned on.  I turned it off and haven't had a problem with it since.  The major downfall to running with the iPhone is that when a text message comes through or someone calls, it distracts me and takes me out of my mental running zone.

• Lmcm2108 Amateur 18 posts since
    Nov 15, 2007
    29. Jan 1, 2010 5:34 PM (in response to rafael6m9d)

My family has 5 iPods but my favorite is my little tiny iPod Shuffle!  It has no screen, is very small, and I clip it to my shirt with the built-in clip!  I love the shuffle for 5K's and 10K's.

If you are using the Nike+ you cannot use it with the little shuffle.  What I did was use the Nano to get the mileage/distance/etc. for my route wih the Nike+ then went back to my shuffle.

Lisa

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...