Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2629 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2008 9:55 PM by GLBryan RSS
dougc123 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 9, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 9, 2008 7:36 AM

Programs like Couch to 5k, 100 Push-ups?

Hey everyone!

This board has been a fantastic source of inspiration the past few months. I started Couch to 5k in July and powered through it, finishing in August. (Probably not wise, but I'm relatively young.) Still, it was fantastic! I couldn't run for two minutes straight and now I run between 20 and 35 minutes everyday.

Because of my success with Couch to 5k, I decided to try out 100 push-ups. I'm on week 4, it's harder, I've been repeating weeks. Still, I love programs like this! Are there any other programs online that can take you from being relatively weak/having low endurance and slowly building them up?

I know there is one to get from running half an hour to running an hour.. I can't find that link either.

Thanks,

Doug

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 9, 2008 8:37 AM (in response to dougc123)
    Re: Programs like Couch to 5k, 100 Push-ups?

I don't know about too many other programs beyond the hundred pushups, but I'm sure they're out there. Otherwise, as far as running goes, I imagine you're pretty much looking at training programs designed to get you in shape to run specific race distances (e.g., 8k, 10k, 15k, half-marathon, marathon, ultra ).

The One Hour Runner program is here: http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/swit0214.htm#run . Scroll down until you see the "Becoming a One Hour Runner" section.

I'm on week five of the hundred pushups program. I've not been keeping a particular schedule, so the six week program will take me a couple of months, maybe a tad longer. That's okay. I'm still building the strength! I'm sure you could adapt the hundred pushups to any other body-weight exercise -- situps or crunches, perhaps? I don't know a lot of people who could do it with pullups....

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• eMonkey Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 7, 2008
    2. Sep 9, 2008 1:49 PM (in response to dwm082)

I've heard about this 100 push ups program a couple of times on the site - where can I find it?

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Sep 9, 2008 1:57 PM (in response to eMonkey)

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• GLBryan Rookie 278 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Sep 9, 2008 9:55 PM (in response to dwm082)

I started Couch to 5k in poor shape in February. When I completed it I went to Hal Higdon's Spring Training http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springnovice.htm which added a day of running and got me up to a 6 mile long run at the end of 12 weeks. I loved it and it was a great and easy progression from C25K. Currently I am in week 7 of Higdon's intermediate half marathon program and ran a 9.16 long run last weekend. First half is in October. I have been very pleased with both Higdon plans. They have been challenging but I haven't struggled to keep up.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...