Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

39548 Views 308 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2009 11:47 AM by arnehulstein RSS Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 Previous Next
  • bowhuntr09 Rookie 21 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Oct 16, 2008 8:02 PM (in response to Chris73568)
    Re: C25K start 9/7/08...anyone else with me! ? :)

Dinine,

Your plan may work but I would have been too worried about not having enough gas left in the tank for me to try that. I too have a hard time on the first run of the day and long for that break. Today was a challenge because I knew the break was not coming. I started by taking off my watch and covering the timer on the treadmill. Before I knew it I was 10 minutes in and Suz said I was halfway there. Once I estimated I was at 8 minutes left I told myself its only 8 minutes...I've done that before! After another song or so I knew I was down to about 3 minutes or so left and there was no way I was going to toss my hard earned 16 or 17 minutes out the window and quit then. It was a nice surprise when Suz came on and told me I was finished. Mind over body....you can do it!

http://bowhuntr09.runnerplus.com/
  • XcaliburGirl Rookie 33 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    226. Oct 17, 2008 7:15 AM (in response to Dinine)

Even if I am quick, I am not the one adding extra running intervals on to my workouts, Dinine!

I find myself subconsciously thinking that if I run faster then the interval will be over sooner. Too bad I'm running for time and not distance.

I'm going to do one of the all-running workouts at the track so I can see how accurate this Nike+ thing is.

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
  • UGAFan01 Rookie 22 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    228. Oct 17, 2008 11:22 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Hey ya'll!   I did W5d3 yesterday and it about killed me.  First of all I took a long walk on Wednesday and I think I overdid it a bit on the speed so I was already a little sore. I made it about 12 minutes in but had to walk for 3 minutes, then run some, then walk some and so on.  I have decided to just chalk it up to a bad day and get out there tomorrow morning and do it!  I am going to drive to a local lake and run the path around it.  I think with other people there I will feel more motivated to not stop (point of pride for me ).  I will let you know how it goes! 

Faith

• ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    229. Oct 17, 2008 2:17 PM (in response to UGAFan01)

W4D2, second try for me today. I made it through the first 3 and 5 minute runs with some pretty bad cramps. By the end of the second 3 min run I was dying and had to stop and walk for the rest of the work out. I'm only getting cramps in my left leg, when I first started the program I had cramps in both of my legs...then for week 2 and 3 I was doing ok. Not sure what's going on, but I feel like someone sliced open my left calf! I need to find a way to combat these cramps so I can make it out of week 4 and move on. I should really be at week 5 by now, I guess this is what happens when you take too much time off. So disappointing!!

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • XcaliburGirl Rookie 33 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    230. Oct 18, 2008 7:39 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Alright, confession time:  I did not complete W5D3.    I think these were the contributing factors: 1) I got a little cocky about being so close to my goal pace, that I started out at a steady 9'30" and even was going under 9'00" at one point.  I defintely overdid it on the pace.  2) I cheated and checked my time when I thought surely there was only a few minute left, hoping to use that to encourage myself. I freaked out when I saw I'd only been running for 10:45 (1.08 mi). After that the whole thing just fell apart and my legs sort of went from running to walking on their own after a couple more minutes. I walk a little (pausing my ipod), then ran about 5 minutes more, then walked some more, then ran for 2 minutes more, then gave up for the last minute, which was stupid since I could've probably made it and at least finished the 20 minutes with breaks.  3) The temperature dropped 20 deg F over the past two days, so it was 45 deg F that felt like 40 (per weather.com). My fingers and toes felt numb. That probably did not contribute as much as the other two, but it definitely did not help.

I'm still looking on the bright side that I can just try again on Monday indoors at the track with the Nike+ wrist band in my pocket so I can't see my pace, time, or distance.  The other thing that makes me happy is knowing I ran one mile without stopping to walk!  That is a big accomplishment for me.

Congratulations to everyone who's finished the 20 minute run (the first time, or second time, or whatever)!

Data is uploaded to http://www.runnerplus.com/people/xcaliburgirl  (I can't get todays run to sync yet. I'll try again later.)

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
  • GigiD44 Amateur 159 posts since
    Oct 1, 2008
    231. Oct 18, 2008 12:23 PM (in response to XcaliburGirl)

Wow!  Xcaliburgirl, didnt you actually run more than a mile without stopping?  Getting up and exercising is always something to shout about.  Much success on Monday's run. I am only at W2D whatever.  I did day 1 but did not do day 2 nor day 3 officially.  I ran the Fall Five Miler in Marietta, Ga today and I am definitely counting that as a day.  If I dont get day 3 in tomorrow, I will start W3D1 on Monday.  This will be the last time I move on without completing the whole week, as I know they get much harder .  I counted the walk to the portas as my brisk 5 minute warm up so I started the race jogging.  I was able to get in 2-3 minutes twice before my shins let me know I needed to bring it back down.  Once I allowed them to feel better, I was able to complete the race alternating jogging/walking.  Since my mp3 player died on me at the start of the race, I couldnt get a good handle on my pace.  I was able to pace myself with this wonderful runner who I believe jogged the entire 5 miles.  I would jog past her, but she would always pass me once I started walking.  We did this for about 2-3 miles, so she helped me alot.  I finished in about an hour 7 minutes.  So my goal is to do better this time next year.  The rest of the day is for relaxing.  I feel well and my legs feel well. I have not walked 5 miles in at least 8 years, so I am really proud to see myself getting back into this and loving it as much as I do.  Congrats to anyone who exericses today!! Live and love life!!

I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me!. Phil. 4:13

First half - ING Georgia 3/29/09 - 3:27:08

Second half - ING Georgia 3/21/10 - 3:00:33 yippee!!

First 15k - Iron Girl Clearwater, FL 4/10/10

• AmandaBr Rookie 12 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008
    232. Oct 18, 2008 2:01 PM (in response to Chris73568)

I had an AMAZING day today!

Ran my first 5K event! I was so nervous that I wouldn't have proper running ettiquitte, or I'd get trampled on, or wouldn't be able to finish.

The path had a lot of up-hill areas, uneven ground, and even stairs at one point but I finished in 36 minutes and let me tell you it felt AMAZING crossing that finish line. There were live bands, free breakfast after the run, a goody bag with my tshirt and a bunch of samples for things in the shower, juice etc. My mom and husband came to cheer me on and my husband even got me a gift for my first run.. he says he's proud of how hard I worked for this

I met some people and everyone was very encouraging and motivating. Best of all, I proved to myself that I can do this and I can't tell you how great that felt coming from a former asthma sufferer and very inactive lifestyle!

Sorry for the gushing, but I totally recommend signing up for your first 5k NOW if you haven't already, to give you that extra goal to push yourself towards. You may find it helps you stay on track.

Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live.
  • Dinine Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 27, 2008
    233. Oct 19, 2008 8:36 AM (in response to AmandaBr)

Good Sunday everyone!

Congrautlations Amanda- it sounds great- you really make me look forward to running my first 5K!  X-Calibur- don't beat your self up for it.  I could not in any way run or even jog for 15 minutes at the pace you've been keeping/trying to keep.  I bet you the next time you run; if you slow down a bit you will really surprise yourself.

How is everybody else doing?

Well, I did the dreaded Wk5D3 run this morning!   Here's how it went: As I expected, the first 10 minutes or so were absolutely exhausting.  My legs felt like they had 30 pound weights attached, then it must of been around 15 minutes or so that I felt myself start to take off.  My legs felt lighter and I was really moving.  Suz came on to say that I was done, but because I just started to feel warmed up, I ran for another 6 minutes or so- then my legs started to feel like cement again.  So all in all about a 35 minute workout and about a 25/26 minute run!  The most amazing part?  According to Nike Plus, I ran my "fastest mile ever."  11:22-this was in the last half of my run.

I wish I knew how to speed up my body's being able to warm up and go, but I guess this is pretty good progress for now, eh?

Bowhunter- thanks for the positive vibes!

Dinine

• arnehulstein Rookie 39 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    234. Oct 19, 2008 12:36 PM (in response to Chris73568)

I did it. I ran W5D2. And I didn't just do it, but I overdid it... I didn't hear the podcast right, so I thought he said 'keep going' where he really said something about a break. Because I kept on going and I was really worried about how long 8 minutes seemed to last. And then he said 'this is your last eight minute run, you can do it'. So I took a 2 minute break and ran the remaining six, making it a 13/2/6 series. I am very happy about this. Now it is out to Berlin for the week and the W5D3 run in Berlin on Tuesday.

• RunningMami Rookie 9 posts since
    Sep 16, 2008
    235. Oct 19, 2008 10:01 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Wow Amanda that's fantastic ! Also Congrats to FLMDFAN on the engagement. Week 7 is done for me. I can't believe I have stuck with this running program. It was hard today but it was a beautiful brisk fall day and I had some great music on my iPod to motivate. Also, I love being able to do this with my husband and son. Once the program is done I want to continiue working on my speed so that I can actually cover more ground abd actually complete 5K in 30 minutes. On to week 8 !

• ChristinaL215 Expert 60 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    236. Oct 20, 2008 6:57 AM (in response to RunningMami)

Congrats Amanda on your first 5K - that is so exciting!!!

W4D3 - still can't make it through the workout...not sure what's going on with me! I feel like I've lost my motivation for the program - help me get it back! I had yesterday off from work and did nothing all day - I could have gone to the gym and I had no energy and absolutely no motivation to even try. I went this morning but I had to force myself  for the first time since I started the program...and even then I could not do the workout, it was definitely all in my head because I nearly completed it on Friday and today I just couldn't get my legs to move. I stayed on the treadmill and walked for 30 minutes, but I'm really concerned about this! I'm not sure if this is all stemming from taking a week off for my vacation and not going to the gym while I was away...whatever the problem is, I don't like it. I want to complete this program and be able to run without stopping for 30 minutes!

Anyone else experienced this or have any advice? I just want to feel motivated to get to the gym again and finish this program!

Sorry to ramble - just had to vent and no one is home except for the dog!

Christina 

What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. ~ Henry David Thoreau
  • UGAFan01 Rookie 22 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008

Good news!!!  I did it!!!  I actually ran for a whole 20 mintues!!  I was so discouraged from the other day's attempt that I wasn't sure how it would go, but I got out there and made up my mind that I could do it and I did!  I am not saying it was easy, but I made it through!  I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who struggles with this somedays.  Christina- to keep you motivation, try remembering the reasons you started this to begin with.  For me, it was the push to get out there and run a 5K.  Some days it will be easier, others harder, but just keep on plugging away.   My first 5K is just a few short weeks away and I have complete confidance that I will be able to run the entire distance!!! 

Faith

• Dinine Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 27, 2008

Hi Everyone-

I ought to be the poster child for why you need a day of rest in between your running days!!

WK6D1:    I was so proud of myself yesterday for finishing Wk5, but knowing the kind of schedule I have today (and hating to run at night or before the sun is up).  I broke my rule of a day of rest in between.  After doing so well finishing Wk5D3 ( on both time and distance and pace) today I had a hard time.  Wk6D1- my legs just did not at all want to run.  I could not wait for Suz to call the break.  The music in the beginning of her podcast is also not that inspiring.  After the walk interval, and very unusually for me, I also had a difficult time on the 8 minute run.  Then I couldn't wait for the break.  On the final run, my legs were screaming at me "STOP."  I stopped the second Suz said you are done.  I was so out of breath and everything.   I walked and walked and then noticed how far from home I was, so I started to jog again.  This time, I just could not wait to stop and I did- probably doing an extra 5 minute interval or so-but that's it.  It's done and I did it, but I don't feel like I kicked *** at all.

Running Mami- Arne- Congratulations on your runs this week!

Christina- it sounds to me like you need a mental rest from the program.  Why not take the whole week off and tell yourself "I'm taking this entire week off."  And then start at Wk 4 next Monday (or Sunday).  Keep stretching and doing some walks, but basically do not deal with the C25K program this week.  Just an idea.  It seems like even when you talk yourself into going, you just aren't into it. 

Dinine

• Peaches1975 Expert 79 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    239. Oct 20, 2008 10:18 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Haven't logged on, I've just been that busy.  I did not do my 3rd 30 minute run last week at all, and while there's a twinge of goilt there I honestly knew ahead of time that there was no way I could get it done.  I had several cars to clean for a car show (that's a workout all on it's own!), did my pasture clean up and other farm work...and in all honesty my shin splints and plantar fasciitis  needed a break.  The shin splints are gone for the most part, but there's still a bit of plantar fasciitis that I am dealing with.  Before I sound like a Debbie downer, I DID do my 30 minute goal today in 31:15.  As I was running and I checked my watch there towards the end, i made a decision to finish 2.5 miles instead of just the 30 minutes.  It went ok, I was happy to have the cooler weather, but I think I may have some mild asthma or something.  I've been offered a job recently, and once I start work (around Nov. 1) and have health insurance I'll be going to the doc for a full check up and speak to him about the possibilities of asthma.  I'm sure years of smoking didn't help, but I've been quit for some time now and should be able to breathe by now.

Congrats on the engagement Christina!!!

Without going into person by person posting, congrats to all that have been plugging along and thrilled with their accomplishments!  However small the accomplishment might seem, it's better than where you were a week/month/whatever ago. 

The folks that are feeling a little discouraged, I have two thoughts: 

1)  Is there something else going on in your life?  Something bothering you?  Without going into great detail I suffered a personal tragedy over the summer.  It was early in my 4 month c25k program and multiple times I thought I might as well hang it up.  It took a lot of soul searching to push myself past some of it, and the parts I still struggle with...I try to imagine how proud he'd be that I kept going when he couldn't.  In any case, if something is going on like maybe your significant other isn't supportive of you taking the time from them to go running, or managing kids/work/spouse is seeming like an awful lot...maybe you need the 30 minutes more than you originally thought.  Even if it IS just walking or backing off in the program.  I assure you that dropping exercise entirely will only make you feel worse.  As others mentioned, I also try to remind myself often of why I wanted to do this to begin with:  to get back in shape. 

2)  Is there something going on physically?  Are you eating well enough?  Are your electrolytes off (taking Potassium really did stop the cramps for me)?  Are your work possibly not supporting your feet/legs, and later on when you run you feel it?  Listen to your body, it might be trying to tell you something.  I honestly think if I had run Friday, today I might not have been able to run.  I truly did need more rest in light of the other activities I did.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...