Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

43256 Views 308 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2009 11:47 AM by arnehulstein Go to original post 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21 Previous Next
  • XcaliburGirl Rookie 33 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Oct 20, 2008 6:10 PM (in response to Chris73568)
    Re: C25K start 9/7/08...anyone else with me! ? :)

W5D3 Done!

I went to the track at the gym.  Instead of  putting my Nike+ receiver in my pocket, I promised myself that I would not check the time or distance, but I kept it on Pace and purposefully kept my pace slower 10'00"/mile.  I felt like I was doing pretty good, but as the time went on, I went to turn the volume up because the track is actually located around and above a roller rink and the music was loud. (I did not want to miss the cool down chime.) Unfortunately, I accidentally turned off the podcast! So I had to check the time. About 13.5 minutes had passed. I was still feeling good, so I handed off my iPod to my husband and ran to the roller rink music until I finished!

All my data is up on RunnerPlus now.  For the two W5D3 runs, I only had the Nike+ on for when I was actually running because I did not want my walking data in there. I think I will just pause it on the walking periods from now on.

W6D1 seems like it will be a breeze now, but we'll see.

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
  • UGAFan01 Rookie 22 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008

W6D1 is done! The weather was so nice out yesterday it felt really easy to get through the cycles. I think that having 2 full days of rest between my "big" run and the next week's start has made a huge difference. Anyone else feel like that? I am still running at a snails pace :)! I am planning on starting to try and run where there are hills so that I can train a little harder. There are some great paths around here that I can't wait to try! Keep up all the great work everyone!

• FLDMBFAN Rookie 26 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008
    242. Oct 22, 2008 6:20 AM (in response to Chris73568)

10/25/08- Week 7 day 3 down in the books. Decided to listen to my own tracks again b/c I can't tolerate Robert's week 7 podcast. I listen to 10 mintures of it and it makes me want to quit. I turned on my own stuff, went to the bridge and ran over 32 minutes. (which included the 66 foot incline twice) all together it was only a two 1.4 jog but the inclines made me feel satisfied that i'm able to accomplish other obstacles. Tonight is week 8 day 1 and I believe the key for me is, good music and running alone.

• KristenPo Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 20, 2008
    243. Oct 22, 2008 12:16 PM (in response to Chris73568)

This may sound silly but what is a C25? 

• Dinine Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 27, 2008
    244. Oct 23, 2008 11:08 AM (in response to FLDMBFAN)

Hi Everyone!

Today was Wk6D2.  I did ok- better than D1, but still not as good as I would've wanted.  I did the two 10 minute intervals and then added a 6/7 minute interval at the end, but it was difficult.  I would like to see my time get a bit better too.  I'm really wondering how I'm going to do on my 25 minute run on Saturday-but we'll see.  I'm finding that even Suz's podcasts aren't that good this week.  The whole Pointer Sisters thing in the beginning is so ....blah.  Trying to put together my own 25 minute music thing.

It was freaking freezing outside- I waited till the temp was at 43 or so, but still so cold for the first 5/6 minutes.  I am wearing a Nike Dri-Fit long sleeve shirt- what is everybody esle wearing outside?

Congrats UGA, FLMDB and X-Calibur- good going!  Where is everyone else?  BowHunter- where are you?

Dinine

• bowhuntr09 Rookie 21 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008
    245. Oct 23, 2008 11:47 AM (in response to Dinine)

Dinine,

Thanks for asking. I pulled a muscle in my shoulder/neck area on Sunday doing yard work and have just not felt up to running. The tension in my neck everyday has led to some nasty headaches. I plan to try W6D1 when I get home this evening. I thought the only injuries that would keep me from running that I had to worry about were running related injuries....guess I was wrong.  

http://bowhuntr09.runnerplus.com/
    Sep 27, 2008
    246. Oct 23, 2008 12:11 PM (in response to bowhuntr09)

Bow-

That stinks.  Could/would you get a massage?  I've been trying to get one a week to help with this sort of thing.  I think it's been keeping me on track....  I know guys don't usually like massages, just saying...

Let us know how it goes tonight- if you are able to run.  GL!

Dinine:p

• bowhuntr09 Rookie 21 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008
    247. Oct 23, 2008 2:53 PM (in response to Dinine)

Well W6D1 is done. It didn't feel too bad, maybe it helped loosen my shoulder. I would LOVE a massage....now only if I could convince my wife!

http://bowhuntr09.runnerplus.com/
  • Peaches1975 Expert 79 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    248. Oct 23, 2008 3:33 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Did just a tidbit over 2.5 miles yesterday in 30 minutes, and did a walk today for 1 hour!  Whoo-hoo!  I did push myself a little harder and ran faster and my legs were fine...but my GOSH I cannot breathe!  I can't wait until I have insurance and get this checked out.  But I am so stoked over my run.  My first mile was in 11:54...that's the best I have ever done!  Yay me!  Oh, and I also started back with the 100 pushups challenge today:  http://hundredpushups.com/ and did some crunches.  Running tomorrow, so I hope I haven't overdone anything today.

KristenPo:  c25k stands for Couch to 5K.  Here's a helpful link:  http://www.c25k.com/

Dinine:  I'm still wearing bike shorts and a t-shirt when I'm running, but a few days I had to have pants over the shorts to warm up in and then take them off before running.  I'm in middle GA so that might make a difference.  I'll be hitting Target and some other places soon to get some longer running stuff, I won't be able to wear shorts in 30 degree weather!!!

And way to go everybody!

• UGAFan01 Rookie 22 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    249. Oct 24, 2008 8:37 AM (in response to Dinine)

I got my W6d2 run in last night.  It was awesome! I love this weather, makes me feel like I can just keep going and not want to pass out from heat stroke   I am really looking foward to the long run this weekend, just not sure when I will fit it in, maybe after football :).  Gotta keep my priorities straight!

Dinine- I am so jealous that you are adding extra time!  I need to get motivated and do that as well!!  It has been jumping all around temp wise here, from 50 to about 65 degrees out, so this week so I have been dressing in a cool max long sleeve shirt with a T-shirt underneath.  I am still in my capri running pants though, I don't own long running pants yet.  I find the cold very motivating, I am going to hate it when it gets dark so early and I can't get out there and run!

Take care everyone, talk to you next week!!

Faith 

Aug 12, 2008
    250. Oct 24, 2008 8:49 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Did another run today, and since I have 2 days off from running I decided to go a little further than last time.  I ran 2.75 mi in 33:06.  My first mile was faster than Wednesday's at 11:42, but frankly that was a mistake on my part since I decided to run a longer distance.  My lower back is a little tired, but that's all.  I can stretch and ice that out.    Today was the first time I ever got a runner's side stitich (mild one), so next week I think I may do two 2.5s and then another 2.75 or a 3.  I'll just play it by ear I guess!

UGAFan01, I hear you about being glad to see it cooling off!  Today it was raining and 56, but I got out there in my bike shorts and T-shirt anyway.  The only thing I don't do is lightening, and since this is just a slow soaking rain I wasn't in danger of that anyway.  I need to get some running capris/pants myself, I don't want 30 or even 25 degrees to be an excuse NOT to run.

Keep on running everybody!

• XcaliburGirl Rookie 33 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    251. Oct 24, 2008 6:49 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Did W6D1 and W6D2 Wednesday and today, respectively, and they went fine.  However my ankle is really bothering me today.  I brought a wrap/brace and have been icing; hopefully the two days off will be enough for it to recover for the 25 minute run on Monday

After I told my dad I ran the 20 minutes, he said he may look into the program. He knows me well enough to know that it must work if it's got me running for that long!

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
    Sep 27, 2008
    252. Oct 25, 2008 9:13 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Hi Guys!

Wk6 d3 is done!  I did it well!  I mixed up the podcasts b/c I hate Suz's Wk 6, so I went back to her Wk 3 after the warm up, but it looks like I ran the first interval (which was supposed to be 25 minutes) at about 28 minutes and then after the cool down, I added another 7 or 8 minutes!!!  I did so much better than I would've thought at the beginning of this week-which started out so badly.

Thanks everyone for letting me know what you are wearing.  It was relatively nice here in NYC this morning- overcast, but not freezing.  However, when I got towards the East River- WHEW-the wind was kicking my ***, LOL. 

GL to everyone!

Dinine

• arnehulstein Rookie 39 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    253. Oct 26, 2008 1:58 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Just a quick reaction. Yes, I ran last week. Once. I did a run on the wednesday morning through Berlin over the Frankfurt Alee. Loved doing that. However, arriving in Amsterdam at 2.00am and travelling over the whole day made me miss my training on fridaynight. And today my legs still hurt from being on my feet for most of the week, so I decided to be safe. However, W5D3 went well in Berlin. W6D1 is up for this Tuesday. Hopefully I will be up and running then.

Aug 12, 2008
    254. Oct 27, 2008 7:44 AM (in response to Chris73568)

After seeing a great suggestion in another thread abuot where to go with one's running after graduating c25k, I made a change this week to Hal Higdon's Spring Training program to help me up the mileage AND days running per week: http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springnovice.htm. I didn't start this week exactly like the week 1, I've got a long day trip Saturday that will have me on my feet all day, so I ran 1.5 miles today (17:42), will run 3 miles tomorrow and 1.5 Wednesday, then run 3 miles Friday and start week 2 on Tuesday as the program indicates. I've restarted the 100 pushups challenge as well, I'm hoping to get to keep that up as well as increase my mileage and days per week. Here's the pushups program if anyone is interested: http://hundredpushups.com/.

Xcaliburgirl:  Icing really helped me with my aches and pains, hope it helps you too!

Dinine:  Funny you mention some of the harder runs being better than the easier ones.  With me, I think I'm just impatient while doing my shorter runs, its very easy to start that clock-watching mess.  During my longer runs I just give myself up to the run I guess?  If that makes sense? 

arne:  that sounds like a BEAUTIFUL run!!! 

Keep on running!

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...