Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

41092 Views 308 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2009 11:47 AM by arnehulstein RSS Go to original post 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 Previous Next
  • Dinine Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 27, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    271. Nov 6, 2008 7:44 PM (in response to Chris73568)
    Re: C25K start 9/7/08...anyone else with me! ? :)

Hi Everyone!

So, today was Week 8, Day 2!  I did it-pretty good, but I notice my time has fallen as I've added distance.  It was pretty damp here in NYC, but warm enough, I guess.

Chris and X-Calibur- Congraulations on picking up the gauntlet again!

I cannot believe I am going to be on Week 9 next week.  WOW. 

Good Luck everyone.

Dinine

• bowhuntr09 Rookie 21 posts since
    Sep 12, 2008
    272. Nov 7, 2008 7:06 AM (in response to Chris73568)

I have been slacking since I failed on W6D3. Today is my 8th day of no running. I need to get back on the program. My wife had neck surgery back in February but her doctor cleared her to run as of yesterday. Maybe if she can join me it will give me the motivation I need.

http://bowhuntr09.runnerplus.com/
  • XcaliburGirl Rookie 33 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    273. Nov 7, 2008 1:03 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Hey, bowhuntr09, don't get discouraged.  You know you can do it, you did the dreaded week five 20 minutes, this is only a little bit longer. You just had a "bad" run last week.

It's great that you can have a running buddy. I wish my husband could run with me, but even prolonged walking is tough for him right now due to his lower back problems.

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
  • UGAFan01 Rookie 22 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008

Hey everyone!  I have been so busy at work I haven't had time to write.  I am still on the program, although there seems to be more days of rest between running.  I hate that it gets so dark out so early.  I don't belong to a gym so everyday I try and rush home from work and get as much of a run in as possible.  I am gearing up for my first 5K next weekend.... i am so excited, nervous, scared.  I will let you all know how it goes. Any advice on what to do to prepare for the race??  Talk to you all soon, keep up the great work (I feel like I am officially an ex-couch potato now!!)!!

Faith

• Dinine Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 27, 2008
    275. Nov 9, 2008 5:18 PM (in response to UGAFan01)

Hi Everyone!

Week 8, D 3 is done.  I did it- but barely muddled through.  My time has fallen each week over the past three weeks.  I've done everything that is required on this program and exceeded it, but I can't figure out how to improve my time.  It seems I go at a snail's pace.

UGA Fan- Congratulations!

Bow- You can do it!   I wish my husband would run with me- I asked him in the beginning to do it with me and he didn't want to.  I see tons of couples running together all the time and I get jealous.  I hope your wife and you get out there soon!

Dinine

• KristenPo Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 20, 2008
    276. Nov 10, 2008 6:06 AM (in response to Chris73568)

hi Chris, where abouts are you running your 5k in pittsburgh for the turkey trot?  I live in pittsburgh and would love to run one!

Sep 14, 2008
    278. Nov 13, 2008 8:08 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Hey, how's everyone doing?  It's gotten slow around here, I hope everyone is ok.

I sort of did W6D3 on Sunday, I got a bad "stitch" in my side at 17 minutes and didn't know how to make it go away except to walk.  So I walked a few laps (.1 mile each) and then ran the remaining 8 minutes.

Last night I decided to go on to W7D1anyway. I switched to distance instead of duration. I ran 2.5 miles in 27 min 13 sec!

Not too bad, but I had to conciously slow my pace down at the beginning because I can not sustain my "natural" pace over the whole distance yet. When I got to 2 miles, though, I figured the faster I ran the faster it'd be over so I pushed myself.  It still was slower than I had started out, though.

I'm officially signed up for my 5k on the 29th! I delayed signing up because my ankle sprain made me doubt I could finish the program. Feels fine now though.

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
  • Peaches1975 Expert 79 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    279. Nov 13, 2008 4:14 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Way to go everybody on continuing with running!  I've not been able to run since my injury; actually I have only tried walking for exercise only once this past weekend and that hurt too much to continue.  So, I've let this week go since it was my first week at my new job, and I'm hoping this weekend to be able to walk and maybe run a little...if I can't run I'll settle for walking.  I'm just gonna listen to what my body tells me.  I cannot stand the thought of reinjury...the initial injury was probably one of my worst.  I still have a little muscle soreness here and there from really over straining the "good" leg early on in all of this.  I still have bruises from the accident! 

Great job everybody and I hope to be "back up to speed" with y'all again soon!  And a big congrats to those running the 5Ks!!!!

• Peaches1975 Expert 79 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    280. Nov 15, 2008 11:33 AM (in response to Chris73568)

I was able to run 1.5 miles today!  Yay!  I kept it slow, I ran it in 20:11.  I did not feel any pain in my upper thigh where the medial quadricep tear was, but since I still have some bruises and soreness here and there I wanted to take it slow and make it a short run.  Then again, since I haven't run in 2 1/2 weeks, I don't know that I could have run a whole lot faster!  And that's OK, I'm just glad to be able to run at all again.  I'm going to walk or run again tomorrow, dependnig on how I feel, and then take a at least one day off and try another day of running sometime during the week.  I'm trying not to push it, but to ease back in as I can with this lousy work scehdule.

Sep 14, 2008
    281. Nov 17, 2008 6:14 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Glad to hear you are running again, Peaches.

I did W7D2 on Saturday, and did the 2.5 in about the same time as W7D1.  I didn't think I was going to make it, but it's nice with the 1/10th of a mile track because I know I can push myself to do the last few laps.

Tonight, if after the 2.5 I feel like I can go a little farther, I might just do the extra .25 miles and call it W8D1. I want to make sure I get the 3.1 miles completed a couple of times before I do my race.

• UGAFan01 Rookie 22 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008

I did it!  I ran my first 5K yesterday!  I finished in under 40 minutes and I have to tell you, it was AWESOME!!  I just wanted to let everyone know that if you haven't signed up for a race, do it!!  I was able to run the entire time and felt I could have gone even further if needed.  I have another race coming up in December so I will keep my training going :).  Hope to shave some time off and get faster as I complete more and more races.

• alesse4 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    283. Nov 17, 2008 7:42 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Hi Everyone - first poster here....

I finished C25K on Friday and now I'm wondering "what do I do now???"

I guess I'll just repeat week 9 this week to keep on going.  The weather has turned colder which has me worried that I'll wimp out pretty soon.  I'd be looking to sign up for a 5K on Thanksgiving, but as it turns out, I'm hosting roughly 15 for dinner so I think a race is out that day.  Maybe something early December will work.  There must be some Jingle Bell Run or something like that.

Anyway, just thought I'd weigh in here.  I was a runner before I had kids (have 2 - 10 and 11 yrs old).   I ran a few marathons in the early 90s.  After kids it got too hard to find the time consistently. And, my job was moved to a new location, which meant no more ideal running routes.  Now that I've finished the program, I'm looking for the next thing.  I really want to get to the point where I can run ~ 5 miles 4or 5 times a week.  Any advice?

Sep 14, 2008
    284. Nov 18, 2008 6:02 AM (in response to Chris73568)

For last night's run, W8D1, I used the Week 9 podrunner podcast. I calculated that it would be the amount of time I needed to do the 2.75 miles, and I was right(ended up doing it in 30:34). I ran on average a little slower than usual, so I actually felt better afterwards than my two Week-7 days.

It's very exciting to have my 5k coming up and to feel confident that I can run the whole thing. I'm a little worried about the hills, though, since I have been avoiding them during my training.

UGAFan01, congratulations on your first 5k! Good job.

alesse4, although I do want to try increasing my distance, I think I'm going to wait for spring when I will have more time and it will be lighter out at times when I can run. I'm planning on trying to improve my speed a little on the 5k and maybe do a couple more races. Right now, I'll be happy if I can keep it up for a while only spending the 40 minutes(30 + warm up / cool down).

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...