Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

41098 Views 308 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2009 11:47 AM by arnehulstein RSS Go to original post 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 Previous Next
  • arnehulstein Rookie 39 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    285. Nov 18, 2008 12:09 PM (in response to XcaliburGirl)
    Re: C25K start 9/7/08...anyone else with me! ? :)

Ok, just a quick message. After my run in Berlin, I ran again that Sunday and then had trouble with my knees for two weeks... I tried to keep myself from forcing anything, so I kept myself from running at all. Last Sunday I got up again and did week 7 day 1. And succeeded. Luckily.

Now if I can pull myself away from James Bond and my laptop, I will be running again in a short bit tonight for week 7 day 2...

• Peaches1975 Expert 79 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    286. Nov 20, 2008 7:43 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Tuesday I only had time to run 1 mile, so I ran a fast one (fast for me) in 11:28.I started out at my usual pace, but towards the end of it I saw the trail getting darker and darker so I sped up thinking if I oculd only get one mile in, make that mile hard so I get more out of the workout?  I don't know how sound that thinking was, but my legs felt it the next day.  Nothing terrible, just slight soreness.  I had planned on running tonight, but was unable to for safety reasons.  I'm going to be speaking to a Lt. tomorrow as well as speak with a local gym...and hopefully get signed up tomorrow! 

UGAFan: Way to go on the 5K!!! To come in under 40 minutes would be a goal of mine since I'm not fast.

Xcaliburgirl: Can't wait to hear about your 5K experience! Let us know how it goes as far as going up hills (I guess this one would be obvious) vs. down hills.

aress: I was in the first week of Hal Higdon's Spring Training program when I had a riding accident that put me on the couch for 2 1/2 weeks. Here's the program: http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springnovice.htm. I'm just now running again and cut my milage down to stay safe.

arne:  Injuries just stink, don't they?  I'm hoping your knees are just fine now!

Sep 18, 2008
    288. Nov 20, 2008 9:59 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Sorry, but I abused this forum for motivation last Tuesday. I did go out and run and I did make W7D2. My legs are doing pretty well... All I need to do now is to get up and go tonight after a meeting as well.

P.S. Last Wednesday I got challenged to two things. One is a half marathon and a 16k run in 2009 and the other is a full marathon in 2010. And I foolishly accepted. It is going to be interesting.

• VanHalenCain Rookie 37 posts since
    Nov 13, 2008
    289. Nov 20, 2008 10:07 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Hi, I just have a quick question....I just started this program, just finished week one tonight. I was curious as to what week you are on (I could probably figure it out but Im tired) so what week? and has anyone lost any weight doing this program without dieting??? Just need hear what it might be like for me in a few weeks! Thanks

• XcaliburGirl Rookie 33 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    291. Nov 21, 2008 8:25 AM (in response to Chris73568)

For W8D2 I finished the 2.75 miles almost a minute sooner than W8D1, and was less tired at the end. I think I just kept my pace up a little more than before, so I did not have to push as hard at the end to finish the distance.

Arne: Sounds like you have a lot of work to do, but I'm sure you can do it. Good Luck! 

My next big goal is to do a sprint triathlon, but I'm havining trouble figuring out how I will fit it into my schedule. (My husband feels like we go to the gym too often as it is )

Chris: Congrats on your new best time.

VanHalenCain: I lost about 10 lbs during this program (up to 33 lbs overall this year), but that was with a concious effort to eat less and healthy food (not a specific "diet").  The running definitely has helped because it made me want to eat healthier so I'd have better runs, and it softened the impact of days when I overindulged a little.

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
    Sep 18, 2008
    292. Nov 21, 2008 3:39 PM (in response to Chris73568)

t worked again tonight. I need to get focussed more though. More is needed for the future. But tonight I did W7D3 and it went well. Not as fast and enthusiastig as I hoped, but then I had to keep track of time as well and I didn't start running until 22:30. Anyway, I am up for week 8 on Sunday.. Looking forward to it actually.

• Dinine Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 27, 2008
    293. Nov 21, 2008 5:16 PM (in response to Peaches1975)

Hi Everyone! 

I have lost use of my computer for the past 12 days, but tonight I am on a borrowed laptop- Blackberry just isn't doing it for me!

Anyway, I am officially a graduate of the C25K program!!  I did all of the days of week 9 finishing on Wednesday, the 19th.  I pushed myself to run a 5K every time.  Here are my times D1- 36:43 -3.22 miles:  D2 37:43 3.26 miles:   D3 38:57, 3.38 miles. 

Chris- this puts us at exactly the same pace for my D2 time and your recent 5K, no?

Peaches- Keep it up!

Arne- good job!

xcalibur- you can do the hills- I've incorporated them into my training from week 1, day 1 and they are still harder (in that I slow down for them) but they are doable.  The one thing I don't do is combine a hill with a sprint (say at the end of my workout).

UGA- Awesome work on the 5K.  I have been coming in at under 40:00 too, but I start out very very slow- almost a walk.  I wonder what my time will be doing the average pace the whole time.  Let us know.

VanHalen and Aless- don't concentrate on weight- I feel the people who have (on this link and others) often get discouraged and dont' focus on the running which is what this program is about.  I have about 40 lbs to lose, but haven't gotten on the scale in the whole 9 weeks and just accept people's compliments on "how good I look" and let the rest go to the wayside.  I've been successful on this program and I attribute it to not focusing on weight.

Now, how do we keep each other motivated going forward?

xoxo Dinine

• XcaliburGirl Rookie 33 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    294. Nov 22, 2008 10:27 AM (in response to Chris73568)

W8D3 done.  I ran outside for the first time in a while.  It's about 30 degress F outside and windy.  I mapped out the route on runningahead.com as 2.7 miles, but my Nike + got to 2.87 miles. I wimped out and believed the Nike+, even though i know the mapping is more accurate.  I think I actually went 2.7, so it was kind of stupid not to go the rest of the way.  Hard to convince myself of that while I'm running though.  I ran for 32 minutes though, slower than usual because of the hills (nothing major, but about the same as what will be in my race), so I'm still happy with the run. 

Only thing that scares me is that my ankle was hurting at the end.  I'm icing it right now.

7 days, 3 workouts left!

Congrats on finishing the program Dinine!

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
    Sep 18, 2008
    295. Nov 23, 2008 11:45 AM (in response to Chris73568)

I feel hardcore today... I have run W8D1, which I think is a feat in itself, but the circumstances I did it in... It was officially freezing at 30F (-1C) and to top that it was snowing heavily and a force 7 wind was blowing in my face for most of the run. Yes, Dutch winds turn with you whatever way you turn it seems. I actually had snow piling on my hair which would fall off if I had to get off a sidewalk or take a turn. Oh, and I had someone shout at me from a car that I was absolutely nuts. But hey, I did it.

Oh, by the way, I am just very happy that I bought a new set of running clothes (tights and a top) yesterday. If I hadn't I would have been frozen half way my 4K run today.

A shot of my running conditions today when the wind and snow lifted a bit right after I had finished the run..

• Peaches1975 Expert 79 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    296. Nov 24, 2008 8:12 PM (in response to Chris73568)

I joined a local gym Friday night, and have been there every single night so far.  Friday night I ran 2 miles, walked 2 miles, then biked 9 miles.  Saturday I ran 3 miles, walked 1 mile, then did upper body, back, and stomach workouts on the machines.  Sunday I walked 3 miles and nothing else as a sort of a break.  Today I ran almost 3.5 miles (45 minutes), then walked one mile.  Tomorrow I hope to do more upper body, back, and stomach work on the machines and then bike again.

Running on the treadmill has been better than I expected it to be, I forgot that many treadmills have programs to help you simulate a more outdoors kind of workout by adjusting the incline.  I used a program called "Random" in which there is almost always some incline going on.  I hope to get some runs outside on the weekends, but during the week that's out because of limited daylight.  I don't want to lose my hard earned adjustments for my joints to running outside. 

Dinine:  Way to go on graduating from c25k in great times!!!  Feels good, doesn't it?  As far as motivation and moving forward, I guess that's individual.  Chris has been shortening her 5K times, and the direction I took was more days running and increasing distance (before I got hurt, and recently now that I am mostly healed).  I eventually want to do hill workouts, sprints, and all that good stuff, but I probably need a stronger base before moving in that direction.

Yay Chris and Dinine on 5K times!  That's good inspiration for me to hear how far you guys have come!  Can't wait to hear how your Turkey Run went.  Doing a race sounds so exciting; I really do want to do one some day.  That is, when I don't have so much farm work to do...yeah, RIGHT!  THAT will happen.  LOL!

Xcaliburgirl:  way to go on your running times too!  I can fully sympathize about stubborn aches and pains, I have a few bumps and bruises that ache a little during my runs.  They are like a guilty conscience traveling with me on my runs, LOL!  And way to go on your weight loss!  I need to follow your plan. 

VanHalenCain:  I agree with everyone else, I didn't focus on the weight too much since it would be a thorn in my side while trying to get healthier.  I have made improvements in my figure, but the scale has not moved for me.  And that's OK with me.  Muscle weighs more than fat so I know I've made real improvement that I can see in the mirror.  That meant more to me than a number anyway.  I still have days where McDonald's is what's for lunch due to time/etc., but I'm getting better about that.  That all said, those that made changes in how they eat (Weight Watchers and such) as well as running reported nice numbers in weight loss.

Arne:  I agree with Chris, there is no such thing as abusing this thread for motivation.  I know I have.  I've looked back at earlier posts to remind me how far I've come when I really didn't feel like lacing up the shoes.  And it did help!  I had to chuckle at the "hardcore" comment, I remember for years seeing people go to great lengths to get their run in and think, "Folks, is it worth it???"  Little did I know, huh? 

• Dinine Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 27, 2008
    297. Nov 24, 2008 8:24 PM (in response to Peaches1975)

Hi Everyone-

Arne- what a beautiful picture-thanks for taking and sending it to us.  You truly are hardcore for running like that in the snow and the temperature.

Peaches-glad to see you are back and feeling stronger.

I did my first post C25K workout today.  I ran a 5K in slow time.  37:00.  Although the weather was nicer here (in the 40's) the wind was pretty rough and really pushed against me. 

Hope everyone is chugging along!

Dinine

• VanHalenCain Rookie 37 posts since
    Nov 13, 2008
    298. Nov 24, 2008 9:20 PM (in response to Dinine)

WOW!! You guys rock and I hope to be where you are at exactly 6wks from now! Although if it snows here.....I might be at the gym.

Sep 18, 2008
    299. Nov 24, 2008 9:32 PM (in response to Chris73568)

@Dinine Great to hear you have finished the program. I am looking forward to next week when I will finish it. I might run a week of 35 minute runs, but I am not sure yet. Another option is to go straight into either the 10K or half marathon program. I have an appointment set to run a half marathon in 2009, so I better get going on there. Oh, and it really felt hardcore running in the snow.I had remarkable grip though. No problems at all...

@peaches It does help, doesn't it. And before you know it, you're hardcore.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...