Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

43236 Views 308 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2009 11:47 AM by arnehulstein Go to original post 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 Previous Next
  • XcaliburGirl Rookie 33 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    300. Nov 25, 2008 7:25 AM (in response to Chris73568)
    Re: C25K start 9/7/08...anyone else with me! ? :)

Well, I ran 5 kilometers for the first time yesterday!

I did W9D1 in about 35 minutes. It really felt good, though I still had a mental effort to push through it. It's funny that telling myself "only 10 minutes more" actually helps; just a few weeks ago, running for 10 minutes was unattainable.

Arne: Wow, yeah, hardcore is definitely the word for running through all that snow.

I know this is not a weight-loss or food forum or thread, but just to keep myself accountable I want to post my "Healthy(-ier)Thanksgiving Plan".

My usual Thanksgiving routine:

Breakfast: McDonald's steak, egg, cheese bagel

Lunch: grazing on chips, dip, soda, apple cider, other munchies all day

Dinner: feeling compelled to eat some of everything and then seconds of all my favorites, more soda

Dessert: slice of apple pie, slice of pumpkin pie, slice of chocolate pudding pie, all with whipped cream, a brownie and/or chocolate chip cookie

Evening snack: a little bit of turkey, stuffing, gravy, followed by a sliver of pumpkin pie

Wow, writing it all down just makes it seem disgusting. I don't go too crazy on the portions, but still.

New plan:

Breakfast: McDonald's Egg McMuffin (promised my husband we'd go, but the egg mcmuffin is 300 calories, so it's not too bad)

Lunch: Not sure... probably going to do something light plus one glass of apple cider, but staying away from chips and dip and any other snacks that my mom puts out

Dinner: only eating my favorite must-have thanksgiving foods, and reasonable portions emphasizing veggies, water

Dessert: slice of apple pie, slice of pumpkin pie, but both small enough to equal one "regular" slice of pie, skip whipped cream since I don't even like it that much.

Evening snack: if I am truly hungry from eating dinner earlier than usual, I'll choose one thing for a snack... probably some turkey or a little apple pie

Hopefully if I know I have to report back, I will be "good" and stick to the plan.

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
  • arnehulstein Rookie 39 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    301. Nov 25, 2008 12:56 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Xcaliburgirl: That is great. I am not quite up to a 5K, so I love reading about everyone who has done it. Awesome.

Did do my own W8D2 today. Shattered is the only word I have for it. But that must be a day 2 thing. I have had the same feeling on some of the other day 2's. Oh well, I will survive. At least I did it. I finished it as supposed. But I am glad to have a two day rest now.

• UGAFan01 Rookie 22 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    302. Nov 26, 2008 12:10 PM (in response to arnehulstein)

Hey everybody!  I signed up for my second 5K just to keep me on track but have knocked my daily distance to about 2.5 miles to work on my time.  I am trying very hard to run at a faster pace.  Someone had asked about the 40 minute time at the 5K i just did, I also had to start the race at a walk due to the amount of people and about 3/4 of the way in the back.  I didn't think about those things when I looked at the clock at the end and it said 40 minutes :).  So I guess I did it in a little less than 40 but I wasn't really worried about.  Just happy to be out there with all of my fellow runners!

• XcaliburGirl Rookie 33 posts since
    Sep 14, 2008
    303. Nov 30, 2008 5:46 AM (in response to Chris73568)

I did it!  5k race time: 33:40

The race was, as I mentioned before, my W9D3. It was a nice day, but a little chilly.  I got a t-shirt from c25k.com to wear for the race. A lot of people passed me at the beginning but I did my best to stay at a comfortable pace. At the last quarter mile (after the hill) I really really wanted to walk, but my goal was to run the whole way (not counting the 2 or 3 walked steps so I wouldn't run over the cub scout who was handing me water) and I saw my Dad watching, so I figured I couldn't stop then. My husband got me flowers and ran his own race to get to the store and back in time.

It was a lot of fun, but almost anticlimactic since I already knew I could do it.  But I did improve on my practice times and got to show my family and friends what I've accomplished.

Now what: I'm gonna stay at or around 3 miles for a while and I'm going to try the 100 push-ups challenge, since right now I can do 1. I also want to see if I can finds some space at the gym to start swimming laps.

Note on Thanksgiving dinner: stuck to my plan pretty well, aside from a little too much green bean casserole and a small candy bar later in the day.

Didn?t you ever run so fast you thought your legs were gonna fall off? Like when you were like running towards the swings or running away from Satan? (The neighbor's dog.) -- Phoebe from Friends
  • Dinine Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 27, 2008

Hi Everyone!

We had glorious running weather today in NYC- 50 degrees!.  I did another 5K on my Nike Plus- I've gotten my time down to 34:38 but I am really really winded and barely making it by the end.  It is tough! 

X calibur- AWESOME AWESOME time. 

Chris-thanks for the pics- very inspirational.  I may fun a 5K this Sunday in Millburn NJ except I can't get there to pick up the packet pre-race.  Has anyone picked up their stuff morning of?  Is it a nightmare?

Peaches- how is the treadmill going?

UGA- You are doing great-

so are you Arne!  I know the phrase "shattered"  Day 1's used to be like that for me.  Now, with me trying to increase my time- that's how I feel at the end.

I have created a 5K challenge on Nike Plus- will any of you join?  It is for people who are either newbies or running at 11:00 or 12:00 minute miles (or near there).  Please sign up so we can keep each other motivated.  Basically once you sign up it lets us know who makes it to the fastest 5K by the end of December.

Dinine

• Peaches1975 Expert 79 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    306. Dec 2, 2008 6:05 PM (in response to Chris73568)

Hey everyone! Still running on the treadmill and got a bit sidetracked over the holidays and had quite a few days off. When you have "extra hands" available to do farmwork, you accept the help! LOL! Anyway, I had a icky run on Sunday after foolishly thinking that 2 1/2 hours was enough time for roast beef and a small amount of mac 'n' cheese and okra would be sufficiently "dealt with" by the time I would try to run...bad idea and lesson learned. 1.5 miles and I thought I was going to die. I felt like I had a cinderblock in my stomach! So, I've learned my lesson that I need to have a banana after an all night fast or at least 5 hours after my last meal and maybe a banana before a run, or NO run. Tonight I followed that advice, and while I was huffing and puffing, I completed FOUR miles in 52:07! I played around with speeds to allow certain muscles more exercise while some got stretched/rested, but I maintained an average of 13 minute miles. I'm SO thrilled that I ran 4 miles, I've not been able to do that in years! Maybe when I was in grade school? I honestly can't remember. What was even better was I didn't just collapse afterwards, I could have pushed further. But I knew better, I knew the 4 on it's own would whip me a bit, and by the time I got home from the gym I could feel a little stiffness here and there. Nothing that stretching won't take care of though!

Xcaliburgirl: What an AWESOME time! Way to go! I can't wait until I can do times like that! And another kudos about your handling of Thanksgiving and watching your diet. I hope someday to be more dedicated. Some days I do really well, then other days, not so much!

UGAFan: Way to go on your 5K stuff as well!

Chris: Gorgeous scenery for your 5K! Great pics, I hope to have some the share someday myself!

arne: I hear ya about certain runs (ie. day 2's) being not-so-good runs. For me, it was any day one of a move up in time/distance. Day 2 was better for me usually, but day 3's could go weither way. We just have differences in how our body adjusts to it all. The "keep plugging along" advice earlier in the thread was all that kept me going on some days. Pure stubborness and gritting my teeth is all that gets me through some days. But look how far we've come!

Dinine: The treadmill workouts are much better than I expected them to be! Again I don't want to lose what I've gained and hope to continue running outside on some days off (during daylight), but otherwise running at the gym has been much better than I anticipated. I don't have the Nike + thingy nor can I maintain a 12 minute mile, but I can't wait to hear about y'all's progress and how each of you are training to get there.  Becoming faster is a goal of mine!

• bremily1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 4, 2008
    307. Dec 4, 2008 1:44 PM (in response to Chris73568)

i started this about the 3rd week of august.  i got up to 20 min. of jogging and haven't been able to increase.  am i jogging too fast or what?

also, it doesn't really seam to be getting any easier.  i started 3 x a week and now i'm at 4 x  week.  any suggestions?

thanks

• arnehulstein Rookie 39 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008
    308. Jan 8, 2009 11:47 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Ok, I decided that really, I needed to post something after all this time.

I seem to be having week spells this year, falling ill in December. So all in all I dropped out for four weeks, not running between the 25th of November and the 27th of December. But I really did feel I needed to get back to it. So I got up, loaded up the 35 minute run and did almost 40 with a ten minute pause in the middle with about 5.5k's covered. For not running all that time, I wasn't disappointed. The stamina has gone down a bit as I ran 30 minutes last Sunday and only covered 4.3k's but without a stop in between. So, I am on my way again. Just making sure that I am taking a bit easier to build my knee muscles so I can keep on running. After all, I did promise to run the 16k dam to dam run in Amsterdam this year and a half marathon...

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...