Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

43120 Views 308 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2009 11:47 AM by arnehulstein 1 2 3 ... 21 Previous Next
Chris73568 Rookie 58 posts since
Jan 15, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 9, 2008 8:58 AM

C25K start 9/7/08...anyone else with me! ? :)

Summer is over and I am ready to start this program again. I did it last winter and had to stop about 1/2 way through due so a pulled muscle, and the start of the busy summer season. I told everyone that I was starting the program after the season and i did! I just need to keep it up now! This may sound silly but i am also suplementing my off days with Wii Fit! I love it!  I am a 31 yr old 190 lb woman looking to get in shape better, build some stamina and just feel better.

For those of you leery of this program just do it! It is amazing. I HATED running (my whole life) , but decided at some point that it would be very good for me. My sister turned me on to this program and i started it. I was AMAZED how much i was running in a few weeks. This board was also SO important to our success. Coming on here and telling about your good and bad days, reminds others that they are not the only one struggling or having amazong days! We want to hear about it!

Hope to talk to some others! GOOD LUCK!

http://chris73568.runnerplus.com/
  • tstruck02 Rookie 16 posts since
    May 31, 2007
    1. Sep 9, 2008 9:57 AM (in response to Chris73568)
    Re: C25K start 9/7/08...anyone else with me! ? :)

Hi Chris,

I am starting today..9/9/08..Will be doing w1d1...  Did you do yours on 9/7?  Well good luck.  Will let you know how I do.

Lisa

• jeepsam Rookie 9 posts since
    Sep 9, 2008
    3. Sep 9, 2008 10:08 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Hey Chris and Lisa!

I'm starting day 1 today (9/9/08) of C25k... I used to run cross country in high school, but it's been about 3 years since i've ran consistently (my son is 3). Trying to get all that old baby weight off... about 15-20 lbs I hope. I can run a mile and a half now but I'm so inconsistent about when I do it, etc - I'm hoping to ease into a routine. I did Weight Watchers online for a while but I hate, hate, hate dieting way more than I hate exercise... so hopefully this will help me knock the weight off and not have to count every last little calorie!

I'd love to keep up with someone who's going through the program as well!

Ashley

May 31, 2007
    5. Sep 9, 2008 10:18 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Chris, I did a 5k this past Sunday.  My time was 43.04.  I half ran/half walked it.  I have another one coming up Oct 5th.  I am hoping to beat this previous time at least.  I know its soon but at least its all flat and I know the route.  I walked it last year.  I have so much trouble with breathing.  So i am hoping this program will help with that because if I can lick that then I can run longer.

Lisa

May 31, 2007
    6. Sep 9, 2008 10:20 AM (in response to jeepsam)

Welcome Ashley!  Maybe you can give us good advice from your cross country days.  Good luck on your first workout!

Lisa

May 31, 2007
    8. Sep 9, 2008 10:46 AM (in response to Chris73568)

This is good. I need something to keep me motivated.  This is going to be a crazy busy week and a perfect time for me to make excuses to slack off.  This program and board with all you guys should help keep me on track.

I know its a lofty goal but I am really hoping for 35 at the next 5k on Oct. 5th.  But I will settle for anything under 40.  there is another one on Thanksgiving day I am thinking about.

Lisa

May 31, 2007
    10. Sep 9, 2008 7:43 PM (in response to Chris73568)

ok so W1D1 is in the history books.  I typed this once so this might show up twice cause something weird happened and I dont know if it posted.  It wasnt as bad as I thought even though I am still sore from the run on Sunday.  I never thought in a million years I would say this but I might actually like running!

Chris and Ashley, its your turn now!

Lisa

• FitMom74 Rookie 9 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    11. Sep 10, 2008 5:46 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Hi Everyone!  My name is Amanda, I would love to join you guys.  I am 34, 178lbs.  Recently I lost my job and am using this time to creat the life I want!!  I am working on starting a business I have always wanted to do that allows me the time to finally get in shape!  I have three kids and would love to be a better example to them and finally feel better about myself!  I mentioned to my husband about starting this, but he has heard me say it so many times, maybe you guys can help me stay on track!  I know I am a few days behind you, but would love to join you anyway.  Maybe I can catch up.  As soon I am done typing this, I will start day 1.   I even made my sign-in FitMom1 as a motivator.    I am really driven but cant seem to hold myself accountable! 

Will we track our success on this thread?  Let me know!  Thanks Chris!  I will post my day 1 success when I get back!  Here is to much success with C25K for all of us!

Amanda

• jeepsam Rookie 9 posts since
    Sep 9, 2008
    12. Sep 10, 2008 6:40 AM (in response to Chris73568)

Day 1 complete! I felt great afterward (even though I've been really, really sick with a cold). I forgot how exercise brings all the junk out... probably too much information! LOL

I also did some core strengthening exercises from a video I found on here.... just a plank, etc. but I actually felt like I worked out.

Does anyone else find that a brisk walk is harder to maintain than a jog when you're tired, or is it just me?

I guess the best cross country advice I have is to eat bananas or take potassium to balance your electrolytes... I used to have trouble with my quick firing muscles in my legs (they fire off and give the sensation of a deep itch that cannot be scratched away after you run... horrible feeling) - someone finally told me to eat a banana for breakfast and it has always helped.

Hope everyone enjoyed their first run in!

• FitMom74 Rookie 9 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    13. Sep 10, 2008 6:52 AM (in response to Chris73568)

D1W1 done for me also!  That was SO much harder than I expected, the running part.     But I did it.  My legs were fine, but felt as if I needed an oxygen tank to get through the 60 seconds of running.  A trainer told me last year that some people do better at night and some in the morning.  When I tried c25k last fall, I did so much better in the morning.  Now today it was morning, but I have been up since 2am (part time night cleaning job) so technically it really isnt morning as far as my body is concerned. 

Ashley, thanks for the banana tip!  Good job on completing day 1!!  I did not find jogging easier, but when I was in better shape I used to.  My leg muscles would be less fatigued jogging than walking.  Now my lungs just wont keep up at a slow jog compared to walking.  I am sure anyone outside today got a little chuckle, or maybe called 911 when they saw me.... ha!   But it was a beautiful morning, cool in the 50s here this morning but sunny. 

Everyone have a good day!

1 2 3 ... 21 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...