Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1155 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 9, 2008 8:56 PM by dfcameron
AlbertoinPanama Amateur 21 posts since
Sep 9, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 9, 2008 2:56 PM

Is my HR too high?

I've been running on and off for more than ten years and started using a HR monitor about 3 or 4 yrs ago.  I usually run at an avg hr of 155 to 161, which seems awfully high given that I'm not even close to an elite runner.  Like I said, I run on and off which means that I'll run for 4 to 6 months and then don't run for a month or so.  I'm 5'6", 178 lbs, and I'm currently running 4 or 5 times a week for a total of about 45 to 50 kms per week.  During the regular runs (not the long run) I usually try to sprint on the last 1 or 2 kilometer, so I end up my run at a fairly high HR (usually between 168 to 173) but my HR goes down rather quickly.  It goes down to about 145 within the first 2 minutes after I stop running.  I heard this is good.  Also, my rested HR (first thing in the morning) is about 80.  Anyway, I do feel fine after my runs eventhough my HR seems high but I get concerned when I talked to other fellow runners who run at much lower HRs.  Should I be? ...oops  btw, I'm 49 yrs old and run at very high humidity.

Thanks

• dfcameron Rookie 124 posts since
    Apr 5, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 9, 2008 8:56 PM (in response to AlbertoinPanama)
    Re: Is my HR too high?

Elite vs. non-elite shouldn't matter - its all a matter of fitness.

I'm a 45 year old with close to 40,000 miles under my belt.   My best marathon was last fall.   I trained most of my runs at a heart rate between 130-140; my max HR is 185. 

I have tested various levels.   My max is 185.  For a 10 mile run, I average about  168.   For my marathon PR, I averaged 163.    For speedwork, I get my HR up to 175 - or 168 for threshold runs.   Yet, I rarely, for normal runs, go above 145 - trying to keep below 140.   This is my MAF pace.   Check out Van Aaken or Maffetone... you'll learn a lot.   Or buy Stu Mittleman's book.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...