Skip navigation

7691 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2010 2:50 PM by Hardgainer RSS
Jmbiddy Rookie 1 posts since
May 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 9, 2008 10:22 PM

Whey or Soy Protein?

Hi there. Ok so i'm just trying to get an idea different proteins for post exercise recovery. I'm kinda looking into different protein powders or something i can add into a drink of sorts after i do my longer, harder runs. I tried reading the tech specs on whey and soy but the biology went over my head.

If anyone has any good experience with a certain type and/or brand of protein, I'd like to know which you're all using.

Thanks!

"The Cake is a Lie."
  • livefree Pro 96 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 16, 2008 1:18 PM (in response to Jmbiddy)
    Re: Whey or Soy Protein?

I use a combination of Soy/Whey protein right before an event and as a recovery drink following a workout or event. It is called Nutrimeal and is by Usana Health Sciences. Since it is low glycemic, it is more of a slow burning fuel which lasts longer in my system and adequetly restores my glycogen levels without spiking my blood sugar levels.They are also coming out with a pure Whey product in the near future.

They also have an athlete guarantee program that will compensate an athlete up to $1 million if they find any banned substances in their products. I like the peace of mind knowing that there will not be any performance enhancing drugs or steroids to deal with.

They are the official supplement supplier to the Sony Ericsson Tour of the Womens Tennis Association. There are many other[Olympic and Pro Athletes|http://www.usana.com/media/File/Prospecting%20page/Tools/US/USANABusiness/EN%20AthAccolade.pdf] that use their products too.

• Pastor Jim Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    2. Sep 19, 2008 8:43 AM (in response to Jmbiddy)

This past November at the NYC Marathon they were giving away Silk Chocolate Soy Milk at the Expo and at the pre-race gathering area. I grabbed two cartons and stuffed them in my gear bag. My trainer had told me that plain Chocolate Milk was a good recovery drink and I had read, in Runner's World I think, that soy proteine was good for recovery (as well as for reducing cholesterol) so I figured Chocolate Soy Milk would be a double shot recovery drink. Since then I have tried several brands of Chocolate Soy Milk but keep coming back to Silk becuase it tastes the best. I tried some of those designer powders, too, but nothing helps me like the chocolate soy milk. Of course, some of it's probably the psychological lift it gives me. When I was a kid, a long long time ago, Mom would only let me drink "white" milk. It was always a special treat to get chocolate milk. Guess the chocolate soy milk brings out the kid in me -- which is always a good thing after these 60 year old bones have survived another long run (which, for me, is anything over 10 miles).

• dw1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 8, 2007
    3. Sep 19, 2008 9:17 AM (in response to Jmbiddy)

It sounds like you run often, and if that is the case, I feel you must test several products several time each to find the "results" your looking for. As you stated you can get really caught up it the technical aspects of every ingredient. But you know enough to want a good recovery drink. the question then is Why? What do you want to accomplish? After these long or intense runs try a specific drink and take notes. Find what's best, it might not be spot on one theory or another but it the results your body needs not the specific ingredients. Heck it might even act as a placebo but who cares if your getting the results, recovering faster, able to perform better the nest session.

Personally I use PowerBar Recovery Drink. I was given a sample of the product at the Ironman World Championships and used the following session and loved the "results" It is the only product of several I have tried that I actually feel the difference weather I take it or not.

• Massage Tammy Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 4, 2008
    4. Sep 21, 2008 9:27 AM (in response to Jmbiddy)

L-Glutamine powder!! 1 teaspoon can be mixed into anything and increase your recovery time. One container can last for many months or up to a year, being the most economical choice as well. L-Glutamine is an essential amino acid that is depleted in physical actvity, supplimenting will help get higher nitrogen levels and boost immune function via greater Glutathione levels (body's main antioxidant). The powder form is micronized for increased surface area, so th body can absorb it faster. I just put some in a ziploc baggie and ad it to G2 or anything with a flavor after training, the results are amazing. I use John Scott's brand.

• Optimal Nutrition Inc. Amateur 30 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    5. Sep 23, 2008 10:55 PM (in response to Jmbiddy)

The quick answer to your question is that whey (particularly isolate) is preferred over other proteins for recovery since it digests the quickest; i.e. it has the fastest gastric emptying rate, so it leaves the stomach quickly and enters the small intestine where it's absorbed.  Soy and casein proteins are considered "slower" proteins and potentially better for a few hours before or a few hours after intense exercise.

Carbohydrate, however, is far more important that protein in the 30-60 minutes after exercise since muscle glycogen was likely the main fuel source used during activity.  Our enzymes to rebuild glycogen are "going crazy" right after exercise, so we should take advantage of that.

And, post exercise is one of the few times we actually want a spike in blood sugar to stimulate an insulin response (insulin increases glycogen production and protein resynthesis).

I do agree, however, that the most important aspect about a recovery drink (or any sports drink for that matter) is finding out what works for you.  A combination of simple and complex carbohydrates with whey protein isolate in a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio might be the best drink according to research, but what if it doesn't taste good?  Or isn't convenient?  Or upsets your stomach?  These are all very important considerations.

Cheers,

Justin

Justin Robinson, MA,RD,CSSD,CSCS
    Consultant - Optimal Nutrition
    www.optimalnutritioninc.com

• Hardgainer Pro 9 posts since
    Dec 5, 2008
    6. Dec 25, 2009 3:46 PM (in response to Jmbiddy)

I would stay away from Soy Protein completely... If you want a plant protein source I would recommend using hemp Protein.

I know what you are thinking Hemp... But it is not the same as the stuff people smoke.  Really it is the only plant based

protein that contains all the essential amino acids your body needs and contains good fats.  But I use a combination of whey and hemp.

Right after my workout I use whey, but any other time in the day when I use a protein shake I use Hemp.

I recommend going and reading this article that is comparing hemp verses whey protein.

If you are interesting in buying some I recommend Nutiva Hemp Protein

Good Luck and Train Hard,

Cory

• ryder100 Amateur 25 posts since
    May 7, 2010
    7. Nov 24, 2010 9:29 PM (in response to Jmbiddy)

I  think  you  should   check   some   goods   some  time each to find the "results" you’re looking for. As you asserted you can get actually   apprehended up it the mechanical   facets  of every ingredient. But you understand   sufficient  to  desire  a good recovery drink.

hgh

human growth hormone

• depletion Amateur 9 posts since
    May 4, 2009
    8. Jun 29, 2010 3:29 PM (in response to Jmbiddy)

this is great, i just happened to be passing through and saw this thread. i have a question that falls under the topic which this thread covers but that i did not see answered in it.   i order soy protein from puritans pride.com. if i google "buy soy protein" then follow the links to the web site then order online, i get a very good price.

anyway, i've read soy alone can be lacking in certain aminos. i like to keep things simple and eat a lot of the same things repetively. i enjoy the taste of powdered milk and soy, as a shake or with oatmeal. is the soy and powdered milk a good combination for muscle building/repair?

thanks.

• ryder100 Amateur 25 posts since
    May 7, 2010
    9. Nov 24, 2010 9:13 PM (in response to Jmbiddy)
    Serum is thought to be superior, an ideal position  to make these formulations obsolete another. However, there is an  alternative protein source considered to be equally as effective as  whey, soy:

human growth hormone

• sunshine1987 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    10. Aug 2, 2010 9:12 AM (in response to Jmbiddy)

I think whey tastes better. I use the EAS chocolate.

STD Testing Services

• Miriamz Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2008
    11. Aug 17, 2010 9:48 AM (in response to Jmbiddy)

Whey is, unquestionably, a superior protein source vs. soy for a number of reasons:

1)  Since it is an animal-based protein, it has the full amino acid profile which supports muscle repair, strength and endurance

2)  It stimulates glutathione production, a powerful antioxidant that supports the immune system

3)  It supports your body's optimal metabolic rate and fat burning level

4)  It supports your beneficial gut bacteria

Soy-based protein products have several potential downsides, including the fact that it is very heavily genetically modified, uses extrememly high levels of pesticides and fertilizers on farms, can be hormonal in nature and has been found to disrupt thyroid and estrogen levels, and is often manufactured in aluminum (toxic) containers.

If milk proteins are difficult for you to digest or if you are vegan, another good option might be rice-based proteins that have been enhanced with the full amino acid profile.  My personal choice are professional-grade rice, hemp, and pea blends by Pure Encapsulations, Metabolic Maintenance and Olympian Labs.  If you value your body, and rely on it to carry you through heavy training (and life, overall), this is NOT the place to skimp or go on the cheap!

Miriam G. Zacharias, PhD

Performance Coach

www.triathlonexperts.com

www.miriamzacharias.com

• Hardgainer Pro 9 posts since
    Dec 5, 2008
    12. Aug 17, 2010 2:50 PM (in response to Jmbiddy)

I still disagree that Whey is the best protein to use in large amounts.  I believe using moderation with Whey protein is okay, mainly using it right after a workout, but to use

it multiple times a day I would disagree with.  If you are allergic to milk then do not use Whey at all, because it is derived from milk.  Soy Protein and I even believe Whey are

often processed with hexane, a petroleum solvent similar to gasoline. That doesn't sound like something you should be consuming if you ask me.  Hemp protein on the other hand is completely

plant based contains complete protein, lots of fiber, essential fatty acids and is easily digested by your body.  No chemicals are used with processing it and it contains nothing else in it besides Hemp protein.

Some say that taking 15 grams of hemp protein is like taking 20-30 grams of Whey protein because you body can assimilate more of it and that means it is being used by the body.  Yea Whey protein tastes better but that is mainly because they put tons of sugar and flavors in the protein to make it taste good.  Get non sweetened whey and it does not taste like that.  I use Hemp protein in a smoothie with fruits and almond milk with a little bit of honey. That makes it taste pretty good to me.  

Oh here is some of the side effects you could experience from using lots of Whey protein.

Side Effects

The common side effects of whey protein isolate may include headache, loss of appetite, fatigue, swelling, cramps and increased bowel movements. Other side effects may include damage to the kidneys or the liver, the development of osteoporosis or an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction is a serious medical emergency. The symptoms may include a rash or hives with swelling of the face, tongue or throat, along with difficulty breathing. Seek immediate medical care and attention if any of these symptoms are encountered.

http://www.hardgainermusclebuilding.com/articles/nickhempprotein.php

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points