Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1208 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2008 10:47 AM by cboozb RSS
dkemp97 Amateur 15 posts since
Jun 28, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 16, 2008 1:27 PM

Troubles on Long Runs

I have been training for about 2 months for my first marathon. Ever since I've started doing runs over 10 miles, my glutes and hips start to hurt. Aerobically I feel fine maintaining 8:55/splits over my long runs, but my legs seem to give me trouble. Am I not eating enough? Should I try and get into the gym and do more weight training to help strengthen the area? Would stretching help?

The pain isn't intense, and it subsides after I cool down and eat/drink. I really think it is my limiting factor on my longer runs, and I am a little worried about getting out to 20miles+. Any advice would help. Thanks.

• cboozb Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 27, 2007
    1. Sep 19, 2008 12:31 AM (in response to dkemp97)
    Re: Troubles on Long Runs

I can only speak from my own experiences. I run about 40 to 50 miles per week. I have done long runs of 21 or 22. I've run several half-marathons but only 1 marathon, the Big Sur in Carmel, California. I am 6' and am now down to about 155lbs. But this has been a gradual thing over at least 2 years time. I have gone though many temporary aches and pains. I used to have a pretty regular low grade dull pain in my right hip. I would also have short term pain in either the right or left foot. But these were never 'big' enough to feel while I was running. I would feel them AFTER I had cooled down. The hip pain would last for hours but it never constantly ached. I just would be aware of it usually when I got up from my desk. And almost every morning I would definitely wake up with stiffness in both legs. In my own case, there was nothing seriously wrong physically but just my body telling me I still had something to learn about how to run correctly.

Running can be damaging when done incorrectly.But you might never realize that until you start upping your mileage past 8,9 or 10 per day. Or start doing long runs past 15 or 20 miles. I am 56 years old and I used to run fairly regularly in high school but then more or less stopped. I didn't start again until about maybe 6 years ago. I feel l have relearned how to do it right. Sort of like having to learn to walk for the first time.

When you are running the right way, it really does "flow". I can't think of a more useful way to describe it. But it really feels like the energy is just powering through you. There is no pounding or loping or bumping or jarring. It's smooth. You can slow down or speed up it still feels the same-although your breathing won't. Your footfall is so light you can't much hear it and it feels that way too-on your feet,knees, legs. Your feet really don't feel any pounding. These are things that took me some time to learn. But I'm am not as coordinated as some. Others just do it. But if I can, anybody can.

I guess I would say you could go consult a running coach - or some local expert who can watch you - or maybe a running buddy can watch you; perhaps they can see some things in your stride and balance or maybe in the fluidity of your arm swing that will help you. Regardless, I think you need patience. Weight training may help but I am a believer in what I have heard other runners say. All the "weight training" you need for running can really come from running. (Unless you are want to be a 100, 200 or 440m man/woman)

• frontierrunner Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 5, 2007
    2. Sep 19, 2008 4:40 AM (in response to cboozb)

Hello, I was just wondering ,does either of your feet tendto want to point off to the side instead of straight ahead like it should? The symptom's that you describe sound like they may be coming from too tight of a piriformis , which is a tendon that stretches from your hip to your middle groin area. You may also have too tight of an illiotibial band which runs from your knee up to your hip and is a common problem among runners. I would suggest getting a foam roller for under 20 bucks and investigating how to roll out your tight tendons . You will also need to make sure of your foot mechanic's and buy the correct shoe for your type of foot and running style. You can also get a real cushy orthodic at most foot sections of a store for just a few bucks they are called supersports and they are blue in color. I know these thing's because i went through the same thing when I started getting into the higher mileage run's but since I made the corrections thing's have gotten considerably better. I wish you luck with your obstacle and I am sure you will find the cause , just investigate. best of luck

ROB

• cboozb Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 27, 2007
    3. Sep 19, 2008 10:47 AM (in response to frontierrunner)

I don't know anything about piriformis but, since you've brought up the famous IT Band, here are a couple of links; one about the IT Band and one about stretching:

http://www.damienhowellpt.com/pdf/it%20band.pdf

http://www.damienhowellpt.com/pdf/stretch%20strengthen%20sequence.pdf

P.S. I am not associated with the author in any way, but I found these on another web site and having read many things other people's description of the IT Band, I thought these were pretty good; just take a breath and take a minute to look them over.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...