Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3450 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2009 10:09 AM by kevpugh
dbrown1177 Amateur 39 posts since
Sep 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 25, 2008 10:08 PM

Running with your dog.

I have purchased a hands-free leash that attaches to my waist like a belt for my dog. It is awesome to be able to run naturally with my dog now. My dog is a Collie/Jackrussel mix and loves to run with me.

Anybody else run with their dogs?

• tammypowell Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    1. Sep 26, 2008 1:28 AM (in response to dbrown1177)
    Re: Running with your dog.

I love the sound of that leash. It works for big dogs, right?

Tammy

• wendy789 Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    2. Sep 26, 2008 3:54 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

Wow! That sounds cool. Maybe I'll also try to do that one of these days, I'll bring my dog with me during practice and also during my early morning jog. I think I'll also have to purchase that kind of leash.

Wendy

Wendy
  • runner3041 Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Sep 27, 2008 2:24 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

I just started running with one of my shiba inus (I have three)  and he loves it!  He is the hyper one of the bunch and can easily last throughout a 4-5 mile run with a couple of quick walk breaks.  Plus, it makes my husband feel better because I often run at dusk, my favorite time to run, and he doesn't worry about anyone messing with me when I have the dog with me.

• Paul828 Pro 125 posts since
    Dec 25, 2007
    5. Sep 27, 2008 6:19 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

Run4Fun,

See my blog for a couple stories of my running partner.

Paul828 http://community.active.com/blogs/p-dog

• lachupa Pro 67 posts since
    Sep 4, 2008
    6. Oct 1, 2008 1:14 PM (in response to dbrown1177)

My first training partners were a pair of Siberian Huskies. Alas one is gone now and the other one is too old to run anymore but back in their prime they were tireless and always enthusiastic. I miss the good old days when all I had to do to start a riot was pick up the leashes and head towards the door.

"On every world, wherever people are, in the deepest part of the winter, at the exact mid-point, everybody stops and turns and hugs. As if to say, "Well done, well done, everyone! We're halfway out of the dark." Doctor Who

• tattedtriathlete Amateur 24 posts since
    Jan 29, 2008
    7. Oct 3, 2008 9:43 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

I run with my dog all the time, I just use a regular leesh which I can slip my arm through and its the right length to keep her right by my side.  Shes a heeler cross and has way more energy than me, we've done a few 20 milers and when we get back, i go to hang her leesh up, accidentally make a jingle noise and shes ready to go again. Sadly, I'm not........

I love running with her, it makes me more motivated to get up early mornings and take her running, she really misses it on rest days!

• whitefirelight Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008
    8. Oct 3, 2008 11:29 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

My dog usually does 3 runs / week with me, between 6 & 8 miles. We are running together in a 1 mile fun run for people in dogs on October 18th - The Rattlesnake Run in San Antonio Florida - should be fun! He's a Husky, so in cold weather he can really move, but when it gets too warm for him we have to take it easy. His best average so far was when I was on a bike, he did 7 miles w/ a 10mph average speed.

• JJH49 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 13, 2008
    9. Jun 1, 2009 7:23 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

I also use a hands free leash to run with my 65 lb English Springer Spaniel. It really shaves my shoulders when he decides he wants to stop for a bathroom break or to smell something. The one I purchased broke a little while ago from use so I emailed the company and they replaced it free of charge. Hands down the best thing I have bought for my dog. Search Z-Hands Free Leash if you are looking for one, that is the one I use and love it. They also have options for multiple leads if you have more running buddies.

My dog was the reason I even started running last year. He was so hyper I had to start getting him a lot of exercise. He also keeps me on shedule and gets me out the door most days when I don't want to go. Best training partner ever.

And why aren't there more dog-friendly running events? They do the training too so why shouldn't they have the fun of runnning in a race with people/dogs as well?

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    10. Jun 6, 2009 8:16 PM (in response to dbrown1177)

I run-walk-jog with our lab Sherpa. Most of the time I use an extendable leash. My husband attaches a leash to a belt so he can run hands-free. Sherpa's a good running partner for me. I feel safer in the dark, she sets a good pace & enjoys it. She's definitely surprised when I try to kick up the speed a little, she'll look over at me, like "really?"  Fun post!

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• kevpugh Pro 72 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    11. Jun 7, 2009 10:09 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

I can relate...especially to lachupa's comments. It was my Siberian Husky, Veya, who got me into marathons and got my wife into triathlons. Neither of us were runners before, but when we got her, we started taking her for short runs (with me in the morning, with my wife in the evening). Needless to say, we could never tire her out, so our runs just got longer, and longer, and longer. She became my most trusted marathon training partner, regularly going on runs of 20+ miles with me for about 6 years. We tragically lost her last summer to a quick-onset blood disorder (cause unknown) called Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA). On a Wednesday, we had a great 7-mile run. Thursday an annual check-up at the vet...she got her usual "gold stars" of health and fitness. Friday a short 5-miler, but she ran behind me, instead of in front like usual. That was my first sign that something was up...and later that day, lots more signs. Back to the vet, ended up doing a blood test, and diagnosed her with IMHA. Immediately started steroidal treatment, but she didn't respond (2/3 of dogs who get this will die in 2-5 days). She was gone just two days later in the prime of her life at age 7. Running hasn't been the same since she died, but I'm just now (almost a year later) learning to channel that pain of missing her into some peace and motivation during my runs. Sometimes I can swear I hear her breathing in front of me. Enjoy every run with your dogs! I miss Veya soooo much.

You can read more about my running with Veya on my blog, including some more details about the blood disorder.

:: Kevin, from PuggerRunner.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...