Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20731 Views 187 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2008 8:21 AM by Spareribs823 RSS 1 2 3 ... 13 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 1, 2008 9:25 AM

50 Plus Training and Racing - October

Monday - Running 1 Hr., Basketball 2.5 Hr.

Tuesday - Running 1 Hr. Basketball 2 Hr.

Wednesday - Running 8 miles easy @ 50F

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    2. Oct 1, 2008 9:30 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - October

Morning Fred and the rest of ya'll.  10 miles of hills this morning.  8:52 first mile and 6:22 last.   Temps low 60's this morning and before sunup.  7 tomorrow ez and 13 Saturday will get me to race week.

Go Ribs!!

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Oct 1, 2008 1:15 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Those are good temperatures to enjoy running ksrunr!  I'm usually most comfortable from about 50 to 60 degrees unless there is strong wind.

Monday was a day off.  I travelled to Vancouver.  Weather is georgous here for this time of the year, but I haven't had a chance to run outdoors yet.  I managed 40 min on TM yesterday morning and another 75 min last night.  Then another 40 this morning.  Maybe a run in the park this afternoon.

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    4. Oct 1, 2008 1:53 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Still easing back into things, doing an easy 4-miler this morning: the first time I've run on consecutive days this year. It felt good, and reminded me that I usually do better if I run every day vs. skipping days. I feel almost ready to enter another event, but will probably wait a few more weeks for that (schedule's kinda full anyway for the next few weekends).

Also, since retiring I've been running more like mid-morning (OK, 8AM is "mid-morning" as far as I'm concerned). I found myself already getting nostalgic for those pre-sunrise runs at this time of year, so put on my headlamp and did today's run before 7AM when it was just starting to get light. I always did like running or riding in the dark!

Aug 14, 2007
    5. Oct 2, 2008 5:54 AM (in response to rochrunner)

Morning gentlemen and our only lady.   5.75 ez miles in cool 63 dark this morning. Ran so slow my legs barely were working.   Ran a good tempo last mile.   No double for me tonight so I'll have to figure out what to do on a Thursday nite.   Going to watch a local high school XC race Saturday morning after finishing my run.   Haven't got to see XC at all yet this fall.

Go Ribs

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Oct 2, 2008 8:50 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks Fred. Average is high 60's for past 7 weeks with range of  61-73. YTD avg is 57.5. Not all that much for marathoning but pretty good for this old man. Btw, I have started to incorporate more fast finish on long runs, per your suggestion. Still not enough but better than before.

Aug 14, 2007
    8. Oct 2, 2008 10:23 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred - that's a pretty high number on the heart rate for you.  Normal for us mortals however.  Care to divulge your mile progression splits?

ks

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    9. Oct 3, 2008 7:47 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Friday, 6:45AM, 38F. 5 miles on the golf course route that was my introduction to real running. Felt faster than it turned out to be, but then this hilly and somewhat soft terrain usually zaps about 30 seconds per mile off one's usual pace.

Looking ahead to a possible cycling PR on Sunday, but it's going to be a cold one for the first couple of hours.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Oct 4, 2008 8:38 AM (in response to rochrunner)

2.2 mostly slow jog, as I brought my dog with me and she can't run very far.

I see they have made another senseless change to the interface, so now you reply to the person who posted last, as opposed to the option of posting to the general thread.   The things these people get up to huh?    Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    12. Oct 4, 2008 11:01 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred sure is tight lipped about his times.   Fred, how can you be a target if I don't know what to shoot for?      

12.25 miles this morning in the hills @ 7:50 pace.  Was suppose to do 13 but we stopped and watch the high school XC meet.   I don't think .75 miles will help me at this point.  

Go Ribs.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Oct 5, 2008 8:28 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Fred is terrified of competition, so he keeps his training secrets to himself.  You will just have to learn by trial and error Ks.

Sunday:  4 x 1 mile with a half mile walk after each.  Mile average was 10:07.  Since 4 miles is the most I have run since the surgery I am happy with this.

All packed and catching a plane soon.  Will report in from Yellow Knife when I get there, or Chicago to you folks.   Spareribs

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Oct 5, 2008 1:06 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Yellowknife???  Bin there!  Run there too!!

It's been a cool weekend here in central BC.  I managed 6k in 45 min on Friday.  Same on Sat.  Today I pushed it and did 8k in 51 min, with the first 4 in 27 min.  Then I grabbed my camera to take some pics of the rising sun on fresh snow on the mountains.  Marvellous!

DD reported in yesterday.  She says the sprint girls are definitely short of aerobic conditioning.  They can only stay ahead of her for one hill, then her conditioning enables her to catch them and pass them.  She also says she feels her form improving from all the short fast sprints.  It will be interesting to see how fast she can run next weekend in the annual 5k race.  

1 2 3 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...