Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19981 Views 187 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2008 8:21 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Oct 22, 2008 6:06 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - October

Morning boys.  Bob - can't wait to hear about your upcoming marathon.  Ribs - you're a handsome dude,eh?

Back to the grind for me to stay in some sort of shape until Boston training begins in earnest.  10 miles of hills this morning 1:19:30.

Where is our Euphie?  Too much testosterone with out her around.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    121. Oct 22, 2008 3:54 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Lindsay is 19 now, but she was 18 when she ran 4:22 at Jr Nats, in Burnaby this summer.  She was actually beaten in that race, (Parry) and barely finished ahead of Shaaf.  Shaaf is running in the US this year....in Washington I think.  These girls will all be pushing on Elmore in a couple of more years.  Nice to see such good running.

Something not right in my hips these days.  After running 10k yesterday I was stiff on the right side...felt sort of like a hot strip running down from hip to knee.  After walking a bit the feeling went away.  Gotta stretch more I guess.  Anyway, as a precaution I just did 100 min walking on the TM with HR around 125 and incline around 12%.  Good workout for the hammies.  Will try running again tomorrow.

• OldXCguy Pro 194 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    122. Oct 22, 2008 4:06 PM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

JLS, sounds like an ITB issue.  Try icing, stretching, and massage.  You could massage it yourself, either by hand or with a roller, but it's more fun if you can get someone else to do it.

I don't visit the other Cool Running boards much, Mainstream Racing once in awhile, but this seems to be by far the most active thread on this fairly quiet site.

Could someone tell me if there's an easier way to get to the most recent posts than scrolling down the first page, clicking on "3" (because that's the last page list), then scrolling down again and clicking on the last page?  I don't mean to sound lazy or totally ignorant, but I find it mildly annoying to have to go through all that.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    123. Oct 22, 2008 4:46 PM (in response to OldXCguy)

Oldxc, when you're on the main page that shows the 50+ thread and all the others, it shows the last poster and how long ago they posted.  Click on the last poster's time and it'll bring up their post.  Saves you from scrolling through all the pages...

Wednesday, 3 miles slow...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Bob Scamman Expert 42 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    124. Oct 23, 2008 3:57 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Morning guys, yesterdays run 5.02 miles - 40:02 (7:58) - Avg HR 132 / Max HR 143 - cloudy, cool, damp and windy day 42 degrees.

I wanted to do this run at around 8 minutes per mile - 7:59 - 7:59 - 7:57 - 7:58 - 7:59 - :09 - nice and easy at a consistent pace.

8 miles this afternoon - 2 warm up, 4 moderately hard, 2 warm down, something like this - 8:15 - 7:45 - 7:15 - 7:15 - 7:15 - 7:15 - 7:45 - 8:15 - give or take. 

Have a great day everyone.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    125. Oct 23, 2008 5:15 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Nice consistent numbers Bob.

Geeze, I'm freezing here in Frederick, but I got in another 3-miler.  I will have to bring gloves next trip.  Off to pack and drive to Bethesda.   Spareribs

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    126. Oct 23, 2008 7:11 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Weather is nasty here in the mountains.  Lots of wind, snow and rain.  This morning was cool enough for the snow to "crunch" under your feet.

I jumped on the TM for a good workout.  25 min walking warmup at 10% grade, followed by an hour of running reps with 4 min at 2% and 1 min at 6% grade.  Finished with a 10 min cooldown walk.  Normally I watch CNN during my TM workouts but dang!  It's awful boring to see nothing but election coverage!  I'm looking forward to Nov 5th and a few psycho stories, or maybe an amber alert!

Today is the last day of our workweek.  I will be heading home this aft.  Maybe Sat I'll head up to Haider (Alaska) for a Xmas fudge run.  I know a great little store there that makes superb fudge! All varieties!

Oh Yeah!  I think you're right about my ITB OldXCGuy.  I've never had that problem before, but I've never done so much TM incline work either.  I want to see how I feel tomorrow morning after today's workout.

Aug 14, 2007
    127. Oct 23, 2008 8:57 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Morning Gents.  Just got back from the dentist who is preparing a crown for my tooth.  Hurt my wallet more than my mouth.  Ribs, it's 64 degrees in CC with a blustery cold N Wind.  brrrr   

Ran 5.75 miles this morning at 7:37 pace.  Has new masters runner join us this morning who was good runner in years past.  He's slowly losing weight and gaining fitness.  But he remembers how he used to run and took of like a bandit this morning.  That's ok except it was dark and he didn't know the course.   So by 2.5 miles he's sucking wind and I've got to wait for him so he doesn't get lost.   The last stretch is 1.25 mile straight shot.  I think he got lost on that as I didn't see him again before I left.  Baby sitting is over rated sometimes. 

Going to try a 5k in a couple weeks and then we have a good 1/2 marathon mid Dec.   Hope to run a 1:22 - 1:24.  We shall see.   Then it's time to start my 1st Boston training.

I know people do repeat miles in their marathon training by adding 1 per week.   What should the max number be and what pace?   What interval between the mile repeats; 400M?  I hope to run 6:55 - 7:05 pace at Boston.

Sep 28, 2007
    128. Oct 23, 2008 11:33 AM (in response to ksrunr)

"I hope to run 6:55 - 7:05 pace at Boston. "

ksrunr - if all goes well next week in New York I will be looking to run somewhere around the same in Boston this year...of course that is if all goes well!  I know i'll have to concentrate a little more on some faster paced runs and actually look forward to it.  My goal is to go sub 3:00 within the next two years...hmmmm probably a long shot but hey you never know.  Maybe we can hook up in Boston if we are both healthy, I know that I run so much better if I have a running partner especially in the marathons...it helps keep me focused.

• OldXCguy Pro 194 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    129. Oct 23, 2008 2:42 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Bob Scamman and ksrunr, you guys run some fast times for oldsters!  I would really need to work hard to train with either of you.  Out of curiousity, how old are you, and what kind of 5-10K times are you running?

Aug 14, 2007
    130. Oct 23, 2008 2:49 PM (in response to OldXCguy)

OldXC  - Fred is the fast one.  If he's an A then I'm in the mid B's.    I'll be 54 in a couple weeks.  Best 5k in last year was 18:36 and hope my training will get me close to 18:00 in Nov.

Sep 28, 2007
    131. Oct 23, 2008 3:36 PM (in response to ksrunr)

OldXC - Oh yeah Fred is the fast one, and if he's an A and ksrunr is in the mid B's, then I would put myself in the lower B's.  I turned 53 in September and have been working on that elusive sub 19 5K, and I don't have one on the agenda anytime soon either.  I would love to find someone like ksrunr to train with, that would help motivate me to put in those harder sessions which I know I need.  We'll see what happens during the next year.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    132. Oct 23, 2008 4:38 PM (in response to Bob Scamman)

There are some fast runners here for sure. We can't forget Jim and ol' Spareribs is no slouch either. Then there's Joe who ran 2:46 in Boston 2 years ago. It's good for a guy like me to read how fast everybody is, means age is no excuse for being slow... lol

Thursday,

I tested my achilles a little today. 6 miles total, 2 mile w/u, 3 @ tempo, 1 mile c/d. I could feel it pulling a little, but don't think I made it any worse.  Tomorrow will tell.

Hey Bob, good luck in NY!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    133. Oct 23, 2008 11:15 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

It's been easy 8 milers for me every day since Sunday's half. Runs are feeling decent but dragging my feet a bit at work. Next up is 30k on Nov 9, then Dec 7 marathon. I figured it would take something in mid 38's for 10k and 1/2 mar of 1:25 or better to make me a serious sub-3 threat, which I've been able to manage. If I can run low 2:05's in the upcoming 30k it would give me added confidence. Still I will need good conditions on marathon day to get the job done.

Good luck at NY, Bob.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    134. Oct 24, 2008 2:33 AM (in response to Jim24315)

Bob,  sending best wishes for good luck and good times in NYC.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...