Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19986 Views 187 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2008 8:21 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 Previous Next
  • Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Oct 26, 2008 9:14 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - October

I'm home now and will be all this week.  Had some login problems and couldn't get on yesterday.

Great to see Joe making progress.

Ran a fiveK race this morning, same one I did last month.  I am not in race shape of course so I am doing this just to give myself some benchmarks and measures of improvement.  Last month I ran this race at 10:24 per mile. This morning my time was 28:02, or 9:02 per mile, an improvement of 1:22 per mile.  I am very pleased about this.  Here is a funny thing I noticed. I could feel myself slowing in the third mile and a guy passed me. In a race environment I would have pushed harder and certainly not let someone just go by me without any response, but right now I am a bit afraid to increase the level of effort, so it didn't bother me so much that I didn't pick it up.  As the old Dodgers used to say, "Wait til next year!"   Spareribs

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    151. Oct 26, 2008 9:48 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

I often get the feeling I'm slowing down over the final third of a race, but usually my splits are pretty consistent.  In any case, you chopped a full 4 minutes of your post op PR!  That's pretty good improvement in my book!

The plan was to run somewhere over 100 min today.  Again, it was dark, and cool at -3C when I set out.  It took about 2 miles to warm up to the point where the gloves came off.  Everything was fine from that point on.  Final time was just under 1:44 for 10 miles and a bit.  I can feel a slight soreness in my right adductor, so I was probably at my comfort limit for current condition.  Next week will try for 1:50 or more, working up to 2:30 by end of the year if all goes well.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    152. Oct 26, 2008 12:12 PM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Spareribs, "wait 'til next year" used to be a favorite for Red Sox fans too.

And congrats. on your continued improvement.

Nothing but easy miles for me, 5 Saturday and 10 Sunday.

Welcome back Joe...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    153. Oct 26, 2008 2:58 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Way to go Ribs. Who would've thunk it a couple months ago...that you'd be running in races now? I think you used good judgment in deciding not to change gears this time.  It's just great the way you've  been coming along.

Good for you too, Tigger, on getting in some nice miles. I hope you don't mind my calling you by your old handle. It gets too confusing for this old brain make the link to J Strappe if I don't use it.

Rich I was just thumbing through a marathoning book the other day and saw that reference to XC skiiing again as being the best form of cross training for runners. It made me think of you. It won't be long before you'll be waxing up the ol' skis again, heh?

I got in a fartlek of sorts today while cheering my training partner on at Silicon Valley Marathon. I jumped in to run miles 11-12 and 16-17 with him before driving back to the finish. He came in with a 2:59:08 for his first sub-3 in 15 tries since the year 2000 when he was 38. Needless to say he was very happy and I got a real buzz from just being there.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    154. Oct 26, 2008 7:25 PM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Yes Ribs - nice race and a smart race too.  You'll be back to full form sooner than we all expected.

JIm - 2:59:08 - I want one of those at Boston.  That will get me at the 80% age grade scale.

Tonight I was awarded by our local running club the "Runner of the Year over 40 male".   We can earn 1 point by attending and running all the social fun runs.  Most of them are on Sunday so I couldn't get any points that way except for 2 Sat runs.  The rest of the points are based on 6 local races and are awarded based on your finish.  I didn't lose to any master this year in the local races.   As a reward I received a nice jacket which has "runner of the year 2008" stitched on it.  $120 cash which I will put in my '09 Boston folder and two gift cards - one to Outback restaurant and one to a local restaurant which the runners frequent a lot.   It is very rewarding as I beat my nemisis.  He is the one who disbanded our beach to bay marathon relay team and told us we were the first place losers one year for finishing fourth in our age bracket and he hasn't spoken to me since.

Ran around 47 miles last week with 3 X 10 miles of hills.  Usually do that twice per week but ran with a friend who is running the San Antonio Rock n Roll in November and that race  has some hills in it.

• Bob Scamman Expert 42 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    155. Oct 27, 2008 4:36 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Ksrunr - congrats on the Runner of the Year award, I am sure you earned it.  And to beat your nemisis is simply awesome isn't it.  It's too bad that he has to be like that, but hey I'm sure he's the real loser in all of this.

JP - glad to see that your back at it and the arm is healing, and a new treadmill...not that I really envy you there, we actually just sold ours this year although I will still frequent the gym this winter in the evenings to get my runs in during the week due to darkness and no room to run once the snow falls.

Well it was a very busy weekend for me - after Saturday morning's run I painted one of our "spare" rooms that my wife has decided she now wanted as her sewing room...of course that one is next to be painted as it will become the new "spare" room...needless to say it took all day and I was beat by the time we finished Saturday evening.  As much as I really hate to paint...and I really hate to paint...I will say that it came out excellent.  Actually my wife and I talked about how we felt it looked better than the job the professionals did when we first built the house 6 years ago.

We hit the sack and I was absolutely exhausted and I slept quite well until I was awakened by very heavy rain and wind at about 3:30. I had trouble getting back to sleep as did DW, so we .............."TALKED", I really love my wife!  Well that did the trick and I ended up sleeping in for the first time in a very long time.  However, that caused me to miss my normal Sunday morning run with my running friends...so I headed out alone at about 8 and the rain had stopped which was a good thing.  Running alone wasn't an all bad thing either, it kind of kept me at my nice easy pace which I really wanted to do...you know give those legs a rest.  After I got home and cleaned up DW made me a great French toast breakfast, which I really love and don't have very often, I think this was a celebration of sorts!  Then for the afternoon we had to get my mother-in-law to her surprise 80th birthday party which was very well attended, then back home with a short visit from one of our daughter's and one of my granddaughters and a trip to our local Pizza Hut for a salad and a pizza.

• what happened to the weekend?  Oh yeah my weekend runs:

Saturday - 8.03 miles easy - 1:05:34 (8:09) - Avg HR 126 Max HR 144

Sunday - 10.07 very easy miles on tired legs - 1:29:54 (8:54) - Avg HR 121 Max HR 129

I'm 6 days out from the New York Marathon - today will be my last run with marathon paced miles thrown in...I did this one 6 days out from the Maine Marathon as well - 2 mile warm up - 4 miles at mp - 5 x 1 minute at 5K pace w/1 min recoveries followed by 2 miles cool down.  Then the rest of the week should be fairly easy.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    156. Oct 27, 2008 8:20 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Heck of a weekend for you Bob, and you still got to run.

3 miles this chilly morning (for Texans) in 9:38's.    Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    157. Oct 27, 2008 12:25 PM (in response to Jim24315)

Hi Jim!  Actually I prefer "tigger" as it was my original CR name going back to the Kick days.  I lost it in the shuffle, but somehow managed to hang onto one of my puppets.  Not sure it's appropriate for this forum but..........

Good luck in NY Bob!

Last week was not a bad one after all.  I managed 34 miles running and about 9 miles of high incline TM Walking.  This week will require some finesse to repeat.  I have a busy schedule, including a two day trip to Vancouver, so a little planning is required to make it a successful running week.  At least I get to run in Stanley Park.

Started off the week with 90 min of TM walking, with 25 min warmup at 10% and 60 min at 12% and then a 5 min cooldown.  Low impact will make my legs want to run tomorrow I'm sure!

Sep 28, 2007
    158. Oct 27, 2008 2:42 PM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Monday - 9.12 miles - 1:08:43 - 7:31 Avg HR 141 Max HR 153

2 mile w/up, 4 miles at mp, 5 x 1 min @ 5K pace w/recovery jogs, 2 mile c/down

8:03 - 7:48 - 7:16 - 7:18 - 7:00 - 7:03 - 7:21 -7:59 - 7:51 - 0:59 -

This was the last run this week with anything resembling mp, the rest will be all easy with a few striders thrown in for good measure. I know that miles 5 & 6 were a bit fast but (****) darn I felt good!

There I go again with the vulgarity...dam it!!! 

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    159. Oct 27, 2008 4:32 PM (in response to Bob Scamman)

Congrats. ksrunr.

Yeah Jim, we're forecast for rain and snow showers tomorrow night, so it won't be long now and I'll be dragging out the skis.  If I had my druthers, I'd just as soon we not have the snow, the skiing's fun, but the falling's a royal pain...

I know there's been discussions about stride rate and how 180 or quicker is optimal, but I've never paid much attention to it 'til now.  I checked mine a while ago and it's not much quicker than 160, so I'm trying to bring it up.  I'm not shooting for 180, but am making a conscious effort to be quicker.  Maybe it'll make me lighter on my feet so I'm not working so hard running 8 minute miles.  We'll see.

Still watching my achilles...

Monday - 3 miles slow.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 14, 2007
    160. Oct 27, 2008 4:46 PM (in response to fred-urie)

fred-urie wrote:

Tigger, if your daughter runs 70's for a workout, what's her top end at 400 meters. She really

is a 800 meter runner isn't she.

The 4:06 male milers at the U of W were running 61-62's for a workout .

Today she said she did a series of 500 reps at 97 sec.  As a rough estimate, that's probably about 76 sec for 400 meters, so quite a bit slower than I originally thought.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    161. Oct 28, 2008 6:38 AM (in response to fred-urie)

1st track workout in 1.5 years.   Goal was 8 X 400 in upper 80's w/ 200 jog recovery.  45 degrees this morning which is cold for us.  Stung a bit actually.  1.5 mile warmup, all 400's in 88-86 range, 1.25 mile cool down.  Last time I did this I needed 400M recoveries.  So that is some progress.  Goal is to be able to run 12 @ 80 w/200 recoveries.  5K this weekend and going to try to run 5:45 start to finish.  We'll see.

Bob - wish I could come run NY with you.

Sep 28, 2007
    162. Oct 28, 2008 6:49 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Ksrunr I sure wish that you could come run New York as well, although I think I would be the major benefactor in that case. It would be nice to have someone like yourself to run with and use for motivation.

That is a nice track workout, what are those about 5:25 - 5:30 pace? - ETA - DUH!  I just realized you posted the 5:45 goal pace for your 5K this weekend, that's the 86 right?  But get them down to 80 will get you below 5:30 if my math is right.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...