Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20722 Views 187 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2008 8:21 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 Previous Next
  • Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    166. Oct 28, 2008 1:22 PM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - October

I knew fred would go ape about those 400's!  Of course you could do them slower and do more of them, but I'm sure you know best.

Planned day off today as I had to work and then was beat when I got done. 

But here is the big news:  my team from my lake running group got accepted at Hood to Coast for '09!  This will give me something to look forward to and prepare for.  I'm pretty excited.    Spareribs

• JimR_IWANTMYDAMNNAME Rookie 138 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    167. Oct 28, 2008 6:52 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Hey fred, in case you missed my thread on CH, Bob Schul on letsun.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    168. Oct 29, 2008 6:49 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Maybe Fred and Ribz can decipher the Letsrun thread for me.  I don't know any of those names and didn't really understand the debate.

10 ez miles of hills this morning at 8:20 pace.  Found out yesterday my 400's were run in 41 degree weather.  No wonder I was cold!  That's about as cold as it gets down here and then not very often.

Have we become too pedestrian for Raider?

Go Bob!

• Bob Scamman Expert 42 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    174. Oct 29, 2008 8:40 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Tuesday - 5.03 easy miles @ mp +/- 45 seconds - 39:59 (7:57) Avg HR 132 Max HR 141 - I got lucky with this one, it was pouring on my way home from work, I stopped and got my hair cut and by the time I got out the skies had cleared and I was able to get my run in without getting drenched.  Partly cloudy & 52 & very windy.

Later today I'll do another 5 very easy miles, around 8:30 pace +/-.

Tomorrow I'll do 7 very easy miles, around 8:30 pace as well and then Friday maybe 3 miles with a few strides thrown in before I head down to New York...Saturday will be no running since I'll be doing a little enough walking at the Expo.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    175. Oct 29, 2008 10:03 AM (in response to Bob Scamman)

Good luck, Bob.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    176. Oct 29, 2008 10:58 AM (in response to fred-urie)

fred, Alexander Pope once said, "Tis with our watches as our judgments; none go just alike, yet each believes hisown."  And so it is with these different methods of training.  As you get older, you find the approach that works best for you.  I ran with a guy two weeks ago who told me of a friend who adopted Gallo-walking, which always comes under fire from the purists, and this guy ran a marathon PR from it.  Then there are the under 40 mpw and all speed advocates, and the very high mileage and low doses of speed believers.  I think people need to find their own sweet spot, but I also feel it takes years to do so.

Let's follow Bob this weekend and hope for his success.

3 miles at about ten per mile today.  Can't wait to move to 4's.  Spareribs

• Bob Scamman Expert 42 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    177. Oct 29, 2008 11:31 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

"I think people need to find their own sweet spot, but I also feel it takes years to do so."

I couldn't agree with you more Ribs. I still consider myself fairly new at this whole running thing, but I sure do love it. Being someone with a true "A" personality, very competitive and a perfectionist at heart I can't tell you how much pride I took in knowing that I ran every step of the way in that last marathon without stopping once...not that the head games weren't going on and I had indeed thought of taking that quick break to take a leak...but I digress...I would never judge anyone for stopping or for walking in any race...to each his or her own.

I really am just getting the hang of the marathon and feel that I still have room for improvement...I'm hoping that the late Johnny Kelley was right when he said it takes 6 years to make a distance runner.

Now if I could get the hang of the shorter races, I think I have to really understand the idea of "hurting" for the entire distance and not being "comfortable" during those 5 & 10Ks maybe then I'll see my true potential...whatever I'm still having fun and improving at the same time.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    179. Oct 30, 2008 2:58 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Nice workout Fred.

I seem to be dealing with this... http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/achilles/achillesbursitis.htm  ...with my achilles.  I've been walking some and today tried running on the opposite side of the road to see if it'd make a difference.  The road is severely crowned and I'm wondering if that's what's caused the bursitis. 

Anyway, if anyone's had any experience with this, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Tuesday - off

Wednesday - 4 miles walking, 15:49, 15:01, 14:41 and 14:54.  Walking a 14 minute mile ain't running, but it's a decent workout.

Thursday - 5 miles easy.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...