Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1559 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2008 12:06 PM by srprunner RSS
srprunner Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 1, 2008 4:28 PM

Half Marathon Training Guide

Hi all.  New to the game of training for a half marathon.  Does anyone

have any good resources for training.  I've found a recent blog post that might work (which also has a really good post on the tamahumara indians) and the nyrrc site that has some really good info.  coorrunning.com is good but seems like a really bad site.  can anyone tell me if they seem like good training guides or if there are any other good suggestions?

• lachupa Pro 67 posts since
    Sep 4, 2008
    1. Oct 2, 2008 6:46 AM (in response to srprunner)
    Re: Half Marathon Training Guide

I'm using Hal Hidgon's half marathon training program. So far so good, but I'm just getting to the scary mileage.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm

"On every world, wherever people are, in the deepest part of the winter, at the exact mid-point, everybody stops and turns and hugs. As if to say, "Well done, well done, everyone! We're halfway out of the dark." Doctor Who

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 2, 2008 7:33 AM (in response to srprunner)

Welcome to active.com!

I am a big fan of the free SmartCoach program from the Runner's World website.  I think it's http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/

You plug in some data (a recent race time, distance you are training for, etc.) and it spits out a training schedule up to 16 weeks long.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

edit: the link works if you scroll down to the bottom

• Dre Day Pro 139 posts since
    May 31, 2008
    3. Oct 2, 2008 3:37 PM (in response to srprunner)

i used hal higdon's half marathon training guide for my half marathon. don't be afraid of the increased mileage every week. the running during the week will prepare for the long runs. and as he suggests, you can tailor it to your needs and how your body feels. i felt it prepared me very well for the half marathon i just completed just a couple weeks ago. i'll be using his marathon training as well, which is only 6 weeks longer. best of luck!!

"Sweat is the cologne of success!" Love this friggin' quote!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...