Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3511 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2008 8:32 AM by plogginalong RSS
ragamuffinruns Pro 115 posts since
Jul 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 3, 2008 4:01 PM

After a long run I gotta GO...

Ok, I have a problem after any half marathon, I have to find a bathroom - QUICK!  Is there any way to eat before a long run that keeps your bowels calmer?

To God be the glory!

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    1. Oct 20, 2008 1:50 PM (in response to ragamuffinruns)
    Re: After a long run I gotta GO...

haven't found anything yet.  I sometimes have to go bad after finishing a hard half or full marathon.

• CDR Spencer Moseley Pro 167 posts since
    Mar 20, 2008
    3. Oct 22, 2008 8:26 AM (in response to ragamuffinruns)

I eat a good meal the day before a race, but not a huge meal. I think this carbo-loading does not work and probably works against the runner. Have a good dinner, with a lot of carbs - but don't over do it.

Are you taking in too much water on the runs?  You might want to montor that as a source of the problem. 

Spencer.

• JenGS Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 6, 2008
    4. Nov 6, 2008 9:10 AM (in response to CDR Spencer Moseley)

So I'm going to change this issue around a little bit...sometimes I have issues with "not" being able to go the day or two before a long run/race which causes much stomach discomfort during the race. Anyone have suggestions for making sure bowels get emptied the day before that won't dehydrate or have race day implications?

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    5. Nov 6, 2008 9:24 AM (in response to ragamuffinruns)

As for the "gotta go quick" question, there is evidence that having any fiber in your diet contributes to running trots.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8932_prevent-runners-trots.html

http://www.thebodysculptress.com/Aug05.htm This is one of my favorites.

As for not being able to go the day before a race, do you not excerise at all the day before?  If so then how about running an easy mile or two to loosen up so to speak.

• elliev Expert 42 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Nov 10, 2008 5:36 AM (in response to ragamuffinruns)

Interesting question, but as we know every "Body" is different.  It is very important, especially as an athlete to keep your diet consistent.  When I first started running, I did not scrutinize my diet to be healthy 24/7 - only when race time was near and then I did the pasta the night before and then a sports drink and powerbar the morning of.  Over time I began incorporating more healthy choices into my diet as a constant and now about 95% of my diet come from raw vegan plant based foods.  The day before a race or long I have a meal late afternoon consisting of leafy greens and whole grains (quiona, millit, barley) and the morning of I have a berry vega protien shake and that keeps me going and I feel fine after a race where I do not have to run to the bathroom.  

Now my suggestion is not to go to an extreme raw plant based diet, unless you want to make a significant change - but start to incorporate more greens and grains into your diet.  Pasta is good for runners, but the whole grains and greens will help regulate digestion as well as provide the energy and strength needed to complete long runs.  Also, experiment and chart how you feel when you try new/different foods - for example, chart your energy level before, during, and after a long run, recovery time, and any other differences your body feels bot positive and negative.  Charting these observations will help you identify a clear picture of what foods work best and when.  I know this answer is not very cut and dry, but as I mentioned everyone is different so what works for me may not work for you!  Hope this helps. 

"A journey of 26.2 miles begins with a single step"
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Nov 10, 2008 9:55 AM (in response to elliev)

One thing I wanted to add to this is that if you incorporate more grains and greens then normal, becarful and test them out first - when eaten more often it may cause more bowl movement then normal at first until your digestion becomes use to it and regulates more.  Just wanted to add that :-0)

Dec 14, 2007
    9. Nov 12, 2008 2:53 AM (in response to ragamuffinruns)

Good deal, please let me know how you make out.

I also eat this whole grain cereal called Ezeliel 4:9 - can be founds at whole foods or other health food stores, incase you ever wat to try :-0)

• alkalinelife421 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 7, 2008
    13. Dec 7, 2008 3:07 AM (in response to ragamuffinruns)

have you tried taking fiber every day?  i use psyllium husks.  you just mix a big spoonful with juice and chug.  i take it morning and night.  keeps me really regular.  perhaps by getting more fiber you'd be emptying your intestines every morning and night and thus not having anything in there while ya run.

My morning energy drink:
    Alka Slim
  • plogginalong Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 7, 2008
    14. Dec 7, 2008 8:32 AM (in response to alkalinelife421)

I, too, have had potty problems.  For the last 3 years, I have to go anywhere from 2 miles to 5 miles.  It wrecks havoc with my race time, and mostly, places to do it.  Trail running is okay, only if there aren't too many people around, and bushes are abundant.  I've stopped entering races if they don't have many port-a-pots. I've had medical people tell me to use Metamucil daily, and to cut a lot of fiber from my diet  but those suggestions don't seem to help either.  Any other ideas are welcome for me to try. Thanks...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...