Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8551 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2009 11:10 AM by NewTriGuy31 1 2 Previous Next
brittinaxel Expert 49 posts since
Aug 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 5, 2008 5:04 PM

Shoes

What kind of shoes do you wear???

Just curious on what others use or suggest

Rate them in your opinion on the overall quality

B.A.R.

"One day of Pain is worth the rest in Pride"
  • roadrunner8282 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 22, 2008
    1. Oct 5, 2008 5:59 PM (in response to brittinaxel)
    Re: Shoes

asics 2130...wouldn't change. they usually last me about 400 road miles and then they start to feel "flat". great shoe!

• whitefirelight Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008
    2. Oct 6, 2008 1:29 PM (in response to brittinaxel)

I've been a long time Asics fan and have moved through the range finally realizing that I do better with less structure and more neutrality. During a typical week now I am using three totally different shoes:

1. Asics Gel Nimbus - for me the Asics are the old standby, they get the most miles overall and I don't think about them after I put them on.

2. Nike Air Max Assail 5  - Trail shoe that I currently use for most off road runs. I bought them because they are on sale cheap at nike.com right now - kind of an impulse buy - but I've been pretty happy with them in the 30 miles or so I've run in them so far. Pretty light weight and "basic" / simple shoe.

3. Vibramfivefingers - Wow, these are cool, but they take a lot of getting used to. These are the ones that are basically a cross between a climbing shoe and a glove, meant to bring you as close as possible to the barefoot experience without being truly and completely barefoot. Overall I really like these, but I usually only run 1 day or maybe 2 in a week with them as I'm using them to build strength in all of my support structures in my foot and lower leg. The first thing I realized is that we have toes for a reason - it's not an accident - we use them to maintain balance, to micromanage foot placement and launch into our next stride among other things. Part of me would like to run in these all of the time, but I have to admit that they can be a little too sensitive in rough conditions. For instance on a 12 mile trail run yesterday I figured I would try them becaus I love them in grass and on dirt, but I quickly learned that they can tenderize my feet when going through big pointy rocks and sections of the forest floor dense with root structures. I have also been walking barefoot to build up foot strength - perhaps after a longer adjustment period I will feel less tender.

• NatesPapoo Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 5, 2008
    4. Oct 6, 2008 4:22 PM (in response to brittinaxel)

Brooks Beast - On second pair in little over a year - I weigh in a 330 and REALLY enjoy these shoes for walking

• xcrunr1647 Pro 67 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    5. Oct 6, 2008 10:07 PM (in response to brittinaxel)

Nike Air Pegasus as my trainers...I've been wearing them for 6 years and have no intention of changing, I love them. I usually get 400-500 miles out of one pair, if I'm alternating pairs (so they recover more between runs) then I can get up to 700 out of them.

I just got the Nike Lunaracers...HOLY ****! I wear a size 14, and these only weigh 5.5 ounces!! I weigh right at 200 lbs., and I'm 6'6", so I only race in them because I want them to last, but a runner with a smaller frame could get away with training in them. These things are lighter than either my Track or XC spikes, I love them. They also offer nearly as much support as my Pegasus', which is huge for me, being a bigger guy. I've raced in them twice, and I absolutely am in love. I plan to pop the question any day now (sshhhh...don't tell anyone...)

For both of my shoes...out of 10...they're 12's, hands down.

Andy

"Feet, don't fail me now!"
  • The Scott Amateur 35 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    6. Oct 7, 2008 5:41 PM (in response to xcrunr1647)

Brooks-  Adrenaline GTS 8.  I overpronate, so stability wise, its great for me.

"Get to livin' before you're dead because you soon will find if you're not pushing straight ahead, you're being left behind." 

• Reeb29 Amateur 62 posts since
    Nov 13, 2007
    7. Oct 7, 2008 5:51 PM (in response to The Scott)

Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8 definately. I also use Saucony and just bought a new pair of Mizuno Omni 7 to try out.

Sep 22, 2008
    8. Oct 8, 2008 5:08 PM (in response to Reeb29)

My local store is getting in the new K-Swss shoes. Thier the new sponsor of the IRONMAN. K-Swiss came out with a new Tri shoe to match the Zoots tri shoe. Cant wait to try them out

"Get to livin' before you're dead because you soon will find if you're not pushing straight ahead, you're being left behind." 

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    10. Oct 8, 2008 7:09 PM (in response to brittinaxel)

I overpronate significantly, and I need a wide toe box, narrow heel and good forefoot flexibility to fit my feet. Not too many choices overall. My first choice is the Saucony Grid Stabil and second choice is the Brooks Addiction. I'd score the latest versions of each about 8 out of 10. Saucony's latest Grid Stabil (6) is narrower in the toe box and instep than ideal, and the Addiction has a relatively stiff and high tongue that can blister if you're not careful. But my knees are very happy with either. Fortunately I'm small so I need "just" motion control and not motion control plus.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

Sep 22, 2008
    11. Oct 9, 2008 2:40 PM (in response to brittinaxel)

The Tri K-Swiss Ultra Natural is around $80 or so...much less than the ZOOTS. Ive seen them and their nice, drain holes, slip on, no socks needed.

• tedrice Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 5, 2008
    12. Oct 18, 2008 11:34 AM (in response to crl8686)

I found my 'perfect' shoe a few months ago...the Nike Vomero+3 is one of the most supportive, cushioned and comfortable shoes i could find...especially for higher mileage runners...i'm on my second pair and will wear this model until they stop making it...if you're looking to run on some pillows...these are the ones!

• Galligal Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    13. Oct 21, 2008 7:30 AM (in response to brittinaxel)

I have been through so many shoes trying to find "the ones!"  Well, Right now I am trying a pair of Newtons's stability shoes. Yes, they're a little more expensive than other shoes so I'm hoping they work well. After three weeks, no issues.

• DOWL1NG Amateur 8 posts since
    Oct 24, 2008
    14. Oct 24, 2008 6:06 PM (in response to tedrice)

I wear Asics Gel Kayano 14 ...amazing shoe and I overpronate and have no problems with these shoes.

I would rate them 9/10 because no shoe can be perfect

Upcoming Events:

March 14: Chasing Snakes 10k Road Race (Johnson City, TN)

March 29: Knoxville Covenant Health 5k (Knoxville, TN)

April 25: Country Music 1/2 Marathon (Nashville, TN)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...