Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2155 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2008 6:02 AM by 3sodapop
3sodapop Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 6, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2008 6:39 AM

45 yr 1st time C25K can't progress.  Any advice?

Hi, I'm a 45 year old female who never ran before. I started the c25k 6 weeks ago. I haven't slacked on it but I'm having so much difficulty running for 10 minute stretches I feel I can't progress. I've done the 20 minute run, but I thought I was going to drop...my right shoulder and neck were throbbing and I felt a little light headed. I'm scared to do the 25 minute jog today. Is it more difficult for me because I've never run before, or is it my age?? I don't know how to alter the c25k program so I can continue to build my endurance without overdoing it. BTW, I've been running at a track for 6 weeks and I haven't lost a single pound (148lbs). I can feel my legs using newer deeper muscles, but my legs feel like lead weights. I just plod along at a 12-13 minute pace. I'm not exactly out of breath, it's more like I'm low on energy and I have to push myself to finish the 10 minutes. I'm on w6d3 today. How can I progress in the c25k without killing myself? One more thing: I'm confused about the running/jogging thing...is it the same thing? Because what I'm doing is definitely not running. Thanks for your help.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Oct 6, 2008 2:25 PM (in response to 3sodapop)
    Re: 45 yr 1st time C25K can't progress. Any advice?

My advice would be don't be a slave to the program.  If you have to back off for a bit 'til you're fit enough to run for 25 minutes straight, so be it.  Go at your own pace and if you have to repeat a week, there's no harm in that either.  Even though you think you're running slow enough, it might also help if you slowed down a little.

Trust me, your body will adapt to the training you're doing and it WILL get easier, be patient and stay positive.

Good luck...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Oct 7, 2008 1:47 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

I was where you arebut a decade older and nearly 100# heavierlast fall. For me the biggest hurdles were mental:  I just had to make myself keep going on those 20+ minute runs. Some days I could, some I just couldn't, but I kept at it and eventually could consistently run 30 minutes at a time. I spent a couple months working at 30-minute runs after I finished C25K before I tried to do any more, and in that time lost ~13#. In January I got serious about building time/distance and watching what I ate... I've lost another 60+ # and my longest run has been > 12 mi (I'm doing a half marathon this month). I'm at about your pace so definitely not speedy, but it's gradually improving. Keep at it and you'll get there! You might want to talk to your doctor about the pain and light-headedness--that doesn't sound normal. Good luck!

• runs4fun Pro 169 posts since
    Aug 23, 2007
    3. Oct 28, 2008 5:17 AM (in response to macd019)

Definitely touch base with the doc if the pain and lightheadedness continue.  I agree with the poster who said don't be a slave to the program... it's a "canned" program and you're an individual.  Take a step or two back if you need to and give your body a bit more time to adapt at each level.  Make sure you're fueling your workouts adequately.  If you're trying to lose weight, you may be underfueling and this will not only make your workouts harder but it will also affect your ability to lose weight if you're significantly under fueling. 

On the "jogging versus running" question - they're just two words for the same biomechanical motion.  Walking is a gait pattern in which there's always at least one foot in contact with the ground;  running (or jogging) is a gait pattern in which there is a moment in time that both feet are off the ground.  This "float phase" varies in duration based on the speed of your run... but you're running if you have a float phase, you're walking if you don't have a float phase.  You're a runner...

Don't give up - you'll get there!  Janet

Train smart, achieve your goals... http://www.runningstrong.com

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Oct 28, 2008 5:17 PM (in response to 3sodapop)

...you got it.......

.....usually ''Run Slower'' is the right answer when you start out,

and 30-min 3 times a week will keep you in shape the Rest of Your Life (not a bad deal)

so,

shoot for This Time Next Year.........with that kind of Attitude you'll do well.....

................Good Running to Ya......

• Joseph Herman Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    6. Oct 30, 2008 8:11 AM (in response to 3sodapop)

A couple of suggestions for you:

1. Make sure that you are adequately hydrated.  Personally, when I haven't consumed enough water before a run, I get cramps that are similar to what you are describing.  I know that I feel remarkably low on energy when I don't drink enough water.  Most people that don't lead active lifestyles are not properly hydrated.  You need to think about this several HOURS before you run, not right before.

2. Concentrate on your breathing.  Control yourself and run at a pace that is conversational.  If you are GASPING for breath - you will find that many of your accessory breathing muscles will start to tighten up on you.

3. Come up with a mantra.  If you are running along, and your mantra is, "I can't do this - I hate this - this sucks" - then your body will start shutting down on you.  As trite as this sounds, you have to condition your mind to LOVE what you are doing.  You have to think, "This is great - I'm great" whatever works for you.  If you tell yourself (convincingly enough) that you are enjoying yourself, then eventually - you will trick yourself into enjoying it.

4. Like others have said, slow down or back off.  You don't HAVE to run a certain number of minutes because someone else said to.  Progress at a pace that is comfortable for yourself.  Eventually, you will learn what constitutes a sufficient workout for your body.  Everyone progresses at different levels, find the one that works for you.

Hope some of this helps.  The hardest part is getting started!  Once you realize that you CAN do this - it actually becomes addictive.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points