Skip navigation

3703 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2008 1:49 PM by ricksdish RSS
ricksdish Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 10, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 10, 2008 5:14 AM

Please prepare me for the MCM hills

Hi all,

First time MCM / first time marathoner.  I've looked at the site, read the map, seen the elevation chart but I'm still not sure I'm at all familiar with the course.  I like to know what to expect.  The elevation chart shows climbs early, miles 3 and 8 but then relatively flat.  Is this accurate?  How about the bridge?  Give me your thoughts, advise, words of wisdom but please be gentle  - you don't want to freak me out 2 wks before the race.  Thanks, guys.  Looking forward to it!

• RunnerWags Legend 624 posts since
    Oct 16, 2007
    1. Oct 10, 2008 5:29 AM (in response to ricksdish)
    Re: Please prepare me for the MCM hills

Hills?  Run Baltimore -- starts off with a 2 mile 150' climb -- which is rather wimpish considering miles 10 - 12 at Big Sur (550' climb).

We don't need no stink'n hills.  If they're in your way, run 'em over.  If the bridge is too tough, consider the alternate - swim across.  The alternate is not encouraged for many reasons.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,271 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Oct 10, 2008 6:07 AM (in response to ricksdish)
    Re: Please prepare me for the MCM hills

The hills - yes.  There are a couple early on.  The first one is usually overcome by the exhilaration of starting the race, combined with the crowd and just feeling your way through the first couple miles.  It's a steady uphill climb but not really steep.  The second one, well that's a problem because we ran it the other direction last year (widdershins).  This year we're doing that loop clockwise.  To tell you the truth I just barely remember that it was uphill.  What I remember is they plopped water tables and a couple of buses at the narrowest part, slowing everybody down.

After that, from 8 miles on, it is indeed flat, with the exception of an on-ramp at the entrance to the bridge and a sorta steep downhill at mile 25.  That little loop in the course there takes you down from one road to another beneath.  You can see it when you're at the Runners Village.  The bridge itself is indeed a slight uphill then downhill, but not a problem.  Being at 20 miles, now that might be considered a problem.  The utter featureless-ness is more noticable.  There do tend to be some spectators there since, for them, it's fairly close to the finish.  Not so close for the runners though.  But again, it is very flat once you leave the bridge, except for that little hill in the last ".2".  Take a good look at that as you go by it just after the start.  It's really not a big hill but it will seem more intimidating at the end.  Just bring it down to size by remembering what it looked like as you passed it at the start.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points