Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1740 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2008 8:33 AM by Jay Silvio
Rubmyster Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 12, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 12, 2008 10:21 AM

No post event massage after long race ?

I was just reading the medical column about a run in San Jose, CA, marathon or half. The advice was there would be no post event Sports Massage because research shows that it doesn't help with muscle soreness. WTF?

The last line said that if you want to schedule your own post race massage, do it before because all the therapists will be booked.  What kind of BS is this?  I am a certified Sports Massage therapist of 20 years and have worked at many races: triathlons, marathons, bike tours, races, etc. Where do these medical personnel get off scaring athletes away from something that helps recovery?  I guess I've been out of the event market for a while and if this is the kind of crap that's going on, I'll stay in my office and be home on weekends.

I know that many triathlons have massage and some marathons even allow therapists to charge $. Has anyone here encountered this kind of policy where the event organizers don't allow massage?

Perplexed in CA.

Rubmyster

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points