Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1229 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2006 12:34 PM by schweers9
schweers9 Expert 61 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 4, 2006 6:52 AM

What to wear?

I am running my first marathon next weekend, and I was curious about what to wear?  I train now with my long tights, and a long sleeve shirt, and that is most comfortable with me.  However, I was told to wear clothes that I would not mind losing for when I get warm??

Also, I heard a rumor that you are allowed to wear an ipod or mp3 on raceday, is this really true??

• WaterDog66 Amateur 39 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Mar 4, 2006 9:15 AM (in response to schweers9)
    Re: What to wear?

The conventional wisdom is to "Under-Dress" a bit. You also might want to think about getting a few runs in (Tough to do in the last week of your taper) in your new race garb. (Make sure it is comfortable)

The bit about what happens if it gets warm is a good one, as long as you can take it off, makes sense. (Hard to do with tights)

One very common theme is to dress for the warmer part of the race, and wear a hefty trash bag (Like a Poncho) at the start line. When you get too warm, tear it off and throw it away.

As for iPods, if the Race Director decided to allow them, I guess it is personal preference. I prefer not to race with them. Would rather socialize with the other runners than tune them out.

Good luck with your race next weekend and remember to post back your results.

• hahn_don Pro 79 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Mar 4, 2006 8:29 PM (in response to schweers9)

depends on where the marathon is...you can probably get a disposable warm up suit at the marathon expo for less than $10.  I have seen a lot of people wear those up until the time of the race starting.  I'd recommend taking a bottle of gatorade or water with you for the first three miles or so and skipping those early water stations.  You'll avoid the congestion that way.  If there is a chance it will be sunny, make sure you have your sun glasses or else you'll be squinting for 26.2. Good luck!

• xuset15 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Mar 7, 2006 5:35 PM (in response to schweers9)

Regardless of what you wear,make sure you put vaseline everywhere, especially where your clothes rub skin, your toes, and nipples.

• chriskui Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Mar 7, 2006 7:02 PM (in response to schweers9)

It's best to wear a running vest and shorts, but if you are comfortable with what you are wearing now, just stick to it.  Remember to put band-aid on your nipples and vaseline on your armpit.

By the way, make sure that you will bring along 4-5 packs of Powergel, take 3 capsules of endurolytes (salt tablets) once an hour, that helps a lot when you are running a marathon.

I myself will bring along several ibupufen as well..

Wish you every good luck!

• chriskui Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Mar 9, 2006 8:36 PM (in response to schweers9)

Hi,

The reason why you take salt tablets is to avoid muscle cramp in the run, this happens all the time..My friend who ran his first marathon in Hongkong couldn't finish the race just before of muscle cramping in the mid of the race...here below is an article which may give you some hints on why sodium is required in marathon.  By the way, the band-aid won't fall off.. 

I am sure you will make it, keep running and think of something nice and positive on the course.

Cheers,

CK

Muscle cramps during long-distance running are often the result of sodium depletion. Anyone exercising in excess of three hours is at risk for running low on sodium, and the result can range from muscle cramping to more serious problems.

You say you are well-hydrated, but if you are drinking mostly water, your cramps may be the result of salt depletion. It is a good idea to increase your intake of sodium.

Use more table salt leading up to any runs over three hours, use beverages with electrolytes (like sport drinks) to rehydrate during races, and The American Running Association's Editorial Board Member, Randy Eichner, M.D. suggests carrying a salty snack like pretzels to eat about every half-hour during a race.

While salt will not guarantee an under-four-hour finishing time, it is very good insurance against muscle cramps.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...