Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

998 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2008 6:07 AM by skydivenchick RSS
skydivenchick Rookie 5 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2008 6:07 AM

5K December 6th

I'm trying to determine if I would have time to train for my first 5K coming up December 6th.  I have been doing an elliptical indoors, some weight training (2-3x week), a little pilates and just starting to run outside again now that it's cooling off.  However, I only do 30 minutes of any of these, I just choose one thing to do and work as hard as I can during that time.  I think I've got a good enough base to be ready, but I'm unsure.

Where I usually run is around my neighborhood and I'm wondering, also, if the terrain is a bit too much for being a beginner.  I run (I'm very slow, so I use that term loosely) down the road which is .7 miles then back to my house.  That's about as much as I can do without stopping.  However, there is a huge dip then hill back up on this road, which of course I do twice - going then coming back.  If I were to find a more flat area to run, would it be better until I can go further?  Should I be starting on something a little less challenging since I now have a date I want to be able to do the 5K by?

Also, should I run every day?  I was thinking that there is supposed to be a recovery time, but I don't know how often?

Thank you!

Pam

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...