Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2178 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2008 12:18 PM by lm12
ManintheArena Community Moderator 109 posts since
Jul 3, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2008 2:59 PM

Should You Help Someone Crawling to the Finish Line?

Newscasters for a Fox affliate in Chicago picked up on a story about two men who helped a third competitor cross the finish line of the recent Chicago marathon. The third man had fallen near the finish -- it looks like from fatigue rather than a specific injury -- and was crawling toward the line. After dozens of finishers passed him, a couple of men (one of them is labeled "A Solid Dude" by the newscast. Ha!) came up and offered help.

The newscasters are pretty appalled at the behavior of the other competitors who ran on by, but it got me wondering...is it that bad? I've never done a marathon, but I've been a spectator at finish lines for the Boston Marathon, Ironman World Championship and a few half-Ironmans. Each time there were definitely people struggling to take that final step. And I know that after my last half marathon, my peripheral vision was gone by the time I neared the finish. I would easily have missed someone falling if they weren't in front of or right next to me.

Would you have helped this guy? What if he didn't fall and started crawling but was just hanging on the barrier with his head down? At that point in the race, is it the race staff's responsibility? I've heard the mantra that "If I'm still moving, I'm still competing" but at some point a PR needs to take a backseat to being a good Samaritan, right?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...