Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13599 Views 92 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2008 10:04 PM by JCtherealdeal Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next
  • macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 20, 2008 6:25 AM (in response to JoeInTX)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of October 19th

Good morning all! I'm pretty much down from my race high now--work has a way of doing that Yesterday was a day of rest, and today, hmmm, same thing!

Dari and Carmen--Congrats!!! You are both really fast! Dari, that is wonderful that your son was so supportive! I knew my DDs would be, since they both run, but DH was wonderful (even though I think he thinks I'm nuts).

jc, that run in Monterey sounds gorgeous! DD#1 is in school in Palo Alto, and wants me to come out and run "the Dish"--hills the likes of which we do not have in Indiana.

Gayle, how are you feeling? I so hope you'll be up to racing this weekend--you've worked so hard to get there!

Gigi, welcome! Good luck with your running. Keep at it--believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!

Joe, the Cowboys can't have looked as bad as the Colts did yesterday! Good luck on your 3 today!

Everyone have a great day!

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    16. Oct 20, 2008 8:36 AM (in response to macd019)

Hey Everyone,

I ran 5.6 this morning with intervals. It was supposed to be 6 but my legs were tired and I went out later than usual so cut it back a little. Tomorrow will be 6 miles easy. I'm going to cut out the extra intervals session on Friday to start resting my legs as I think this week is a little hard with only one more before my HM.

Reeb - Amazing time on your HM! I sometimes use shotbloks, but they are hard to get over here. They pretty much only have gels and enery drinks, but i'm not a fan of drinking anything other than water so i usually go without unless i'm really struggling...

Joe - 17 is a great weekly total and much better than the zero you were doing not so long ago!!! Keep going and you will be there soon... Still clear of the cold for now

Misswendy - 21 miles felt great??? you are my hero!!! keep it up - you will ace the race!

Gayle - glad to hear you got a run in. Are you feeling better??? I've got my fingers crossed for you too for your race

Macd - love you race report! That is amazing that your daughters could come and even run with you! That must have been really special and a precious memory... Congratulations on running your first HM and an amazing time too!

Runjr - Hope you get to fit a run in around all that travelling. At least you are going into a taper period so the extra rest is not a bad thing

Dari - you did a fab job on your race too and such an amazing time! I would be so pleased to break 2 hours! Great work to finish strong and make your goal! I'd love to see the 'special' picture if you have one I need a laugh to get me through the work day LOL on throwing your drink over someone... that's one way to make a few places in the race!!!

Spicegeek - just a little 3 mile run... I remember a time i'd have dropped down dead upon hearing that type of statement!!! Not suprised you were tired after all that EC time Good on you for still getting out there

Carmen - another fab racer! 2:01:20 is a fab time! Sounds lovely running with your cyber buddies... were they from another running website? You will definitely break the 2 hour mark soon!

Gigi - welcome to the group! We have no problem with lurkers - even if you are no-where near the distance... keep in touch and let us know how your plans go. I did C25K and completed it last July - from there I did one hour runner and then trained for my first half which I ran in March this year... you'll be suprised how quickly you can progress I got my Garmin after my first HM as a reward to myself. I love it and have no idea how I managed before!

JC - I love spending time with my nieces and nephews too - all that energy and enthusiasm is catching... although not sure i'd feel the same if it was every day That run with the seals and sea lions sounds amazing! New shoes are good thanks - ran in them today for the second time so only got about 12 miles in them so far but they've felt good straight away... a definite improvement on the Brooks

Gotta get back to work now, but catch you all later x

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• cscmartin Expert 144 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    17. Oct 20, 2008 9:03 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

hello everyone,

i wanted to get everyones feed back on when it is a good time to start running again after a half?   my legs were really tired yesterday but after all the stretching i think they have recover but i don't want to risk injuries any suggestions???  also should i look for different shoes when the route is all payment???  my feet were bothering me a little bit after all the pavement and my shoes were not that old.  i am just wondering if i am missing anything.  last quick question what should i look for in a garmin they have three different price brackets and i am sure they are all better than my nike + please help me decide it is time for me to purchase one for sure.

misswendy you always rock 21 miles are you training for a full?  how many half / fulls have you already completed.  you rock!

chamblin i think i am going to get me a garmin.  i have two halfs under my belt now and it wasn't for my ipod nike + kit locking up i would have made my goal.

runjr i hope you can sneak some runs in.  where are you traveling to?

spicegeek your workouts always sound so great and inspiring keep them coming.

gayle  i agree with runjr your health is the most important thing so definately take it slow and listen to your body.

dari again great job on your first half that is a great time for a first.  goals for the next one???????

gigi glad you were able to join us such positive support here.

jc hope you had a great flight back.

have a great day everyone!

carmen

Carmen new2running08

2008 finished races

1st half on 5/4/08 2:11:50
    2nd half on 10/19/08 2:01:01

2009 finished races 

3rd half on 5/3/09 2:05:48

• chuck43 Expert 1,054 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Oct 20, 2008 11:00 AM (in response to cscmartin)

hey Carmen, Dari, Macd and Reeb, man you all did great on your races! Way to make us proud!!!

Carmen run low miles and slow pace for this week to loosen your legs up.

Dari attack the fridge! You earned it

You guys rocked it!

• RunnerKimNJ Rookie 19 posts since
    Oct 19, 2008
    19. Oct 20, 2008 12:01 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hi everyone. Can i join this thread?  I just recently got back into running a few months ago after taking a few years off to have some daughters!    So a friend of mine is running the Philly 1/2 marathon on November 23rd and she inspired me to get back into running.  I have been very active in my exercise even through all of my pregnancies but my running ended for a while.  Actually, now that I think about it, last year I was running too but didn't stick with it.  I'd do 3-4 miles a day but it never progressed farther than that.  So this time I decided since I already had a decent base built up and I wanted to test myself to run longer distances (God knows I'm slow enough!).  So I've been following Higdon's Novice training program for the 1/2 marathon.  This weekend I did my first 8 miler on a trail by my house.  I was VERY tired after the run but surprisingly nothing hurts today like my first few long runs did.  Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and quit lurking. 

I'm a 36 y.o. female who lives in NJ and I'm the mom of 2 girls ages 2 & 4 years old. 

I'm not looking to finish within any specific timeframe but I just want to finish and hopefully w/o having to walk at all. 

Kim

• chilidogbeagle Rookie 64 posts since
    May 17, 2008
    20. Oct 20, 2008 1:19 PM (in response to RunnerKimNJ)

hey everyone!

Thanks for all the congratulatory well-wishes!  Wow - what a high - I feel like a bit of a celebrity in Dariville today - clearly it's a pretty small unpopulated place but you get what I mean...  Anyway, no run today - I'm a bit dead legged.  Nothing truly sore - but stairs would be a bit of a challenge if I had too many to navigate.

Runjr:  thanks for the well wishes - it was SO MUCH FUN and I want to do it again, super soon.  I'm trying to find a fun race that might be in (dare I say) warmer climate.  I think I'll go online tonight and peek around at some of the listings for races coming up.

JC:  glad you had fun in CA.  That running route sounds beautiful.  I have a couple of ocean view routes that I like to do here when the winds aren't blowing too bad.

Carmen:  congrats on the great finish at your hm.  Didn't meet your goal?  You'll get it next time.  It sounds to me as if you've met tons of goals in the last couple of years.

Joe:  Thanks... you are so kind to me - I really appreciate it.  Good luck on your three today.

MissWendy:  I actually thought about you when I was running my race - I saw this guy with long crazy 1980's hair and spandex and I was thinking gee that looks like MissWendy!!  Naah - I thought gee that guy looks like someone from Def Lepard and then I thought of you...   I hope your runs are going well.  When is your marathon, again?

Gigi & RunnerKimNJ:  Welcome - you've come to the right place.  This place keeps me honest.  I only mean some mornings when I get up I think, "hmmmmm

do I really feel like running today?"  I'm sure you'd find it shocking to learn that some days I just don't wanna (waaaaah...).  But then I know that I want to at least log in here and see what everyone is doing and then I get off my bum and just do it.  It's a great group and hugely supportive cue back music.

Spicegeek:  I just can't get over how buff your upper body is in that picture!  And about that girl?  She's a hater - definitely

Chamblin:  Great intervals.  Your HM is this weekend.  If anyone is going to knock it out of the park, it will be you.  Please don't tell me that this race puts you in dangerous ghettos like that last race from which you posted pictures... I was worried for your safety (heehee).  We only dream of places like that over here.

Good luck - I'm sure your new shoes came with wings.

Oh yeah... Chuck:  About that fridge?  I had pizza, chicken wings, frozen yogurt/fat-free fudge & kettlecorn popcorn last night and that doesn't include all the crap I ate after the race.  I assure you... I'm doing my part - earned or otherwise! 

Gayle - How are you feeling?  Are you still on for this weekend?  I'm thinking about you and sending good vibes your way.

Well, I'm hardly caught up and I know I'm missing people but I have to bring brownies to my neighbors for feeding Chili the Wonder Beagle while we were away at the race.  Have a great day!!

dari

Dec 14, 2007
    21. Oct 20, 2008 2:54 PM (in response to chilidogbeagle)

hey everyone, did yall see the clip from the South carolina and Lsu game where the ref puts a shoulder into the SC QB and puts him down? Man, its out right crazy. I wonder if he still has a Job today?

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    22. Oct 20, 2008 3:25 PM (in response to chuck43)

Hey Everyone! I'm new here (obviously, hence my 1 post count )  Anyways, I'm currently training for the Thunder Road half-marathon in Charlotte, NC on December 13th.  I did the half in Baltimore on 10/11 and fell in love with it!  Me and my sister walked most of the race, it was our first time and I'm not a runner really (yet!).  My goal is just to finish under 3 hours (that's the time limit). 

And to Chuck-yes, I saw that!  I'm at Clemson...so I kind of enjoyed one of our rivals get slammed by the ref    kidding...

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    23. Oct 20, 2008 3:43 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Upper body weights - well mostly - for me today - I was training myself - which pretty much boils down to a few lifts I like/want to do plus the odd thing my trainers missed - which after the EC assault this weekend was not a whole lot !! I decided to try and clean and press the 12kg ( 26 lb )  kettle bell - Clean and press - you jerk the bell off the ground and into the "rack" position - imagine your fist about to hit youself in the jaw and the bell resting on the back of your wrist ( thats the clean ) then from there - with a little squat to help - extend the arm up to a shoulder press position ( that`s the press ) - I have been doing that with a 8kg ( 17.5 lb ) bell - I want to see if I could use the heavier weight. and .. I did 2 sets of 10 - with .. if I say so my self - very nice form - Even one of the the other trainers commented when I was done - My EC was mighty impressed after the number I did on Sat with the 8KG that I was able to do that today !

GiGi Welcome - you are as old as you behave, which in my case is about 12 ! growing up is over rated ! You will be just fine running a half mid 2009 !! As you know we have all been where you are you - and not that long ago ! As for the Garmin - I will be getting one at Christmas as I start training for the NYC Marathon and I want to focus more on speed work and maintaining pace over runs - I did not feel it was necessary up to this point - I`m still using a simple heart rate monitor

JC sounds like you had a great trip and a lovely place to run !

Cara - cutting back now will set you up well for your half - yeah you are right - 3 miles seems like a warm up now !!

carmen - I ran Sunday for the first time - a full week after my half - and my legs felt like lumps of leads ! - mind you I did have a hellish workout Sat ! A week of easy workouts is a reasonable rest

Kim - Of course you may join !! I answered your question on the Basic Training forum - but you lonf runs are not the place to test yourself - slow SLOW SLOWER !!

Dari ah yes the post half marathon stair issue - I thinkI sobbed everytime I went in or out of the subway after mine ! Thanks for the compliment - I think that is the best picture of me ever !! I`m diggin my buff arms !! lol

CL Welcome welcome !! and if you are training for ahlf you are most definately a runner

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

Jan 14, 2007
    24. Oct 20, 2008 3:44 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Oh and for the new folks .. becuase I`m sure you`ll ask .. EC = Eye Candy - also known as the hot ( and occasionally evil ) trainer at my gym

Dec 14, 2007
    25. Oct 20, 2008 5:06 PM (in response to spicegeek)

hey everyone, a quick post tonight because dancing with the stars is about to come on. I ran 6 miles tonight in 54:03, very good run for me in 70 degree weather. Left hammy tightened up just a little so stretched it out some. I'm going to run with McGuires tomorrow night. Thats the same group I was running with before.

To everyone who's new,, welcome to our family.

Kevin hope you're doing well.

Grandbaby is 2 weeks old today! Man she's growing up fast!

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    26. Oct 20, 2008 6:06 PM (in response to chuck43)

hey yall

wow, lotta posting i am way behind!

sunday i ran 6m with 12x100 intervals. today i skipped out because my foot is really hurting since the end of last week.  i have 3 10+mile runs this week so i hope  a day off will help my foot.

glbryan....great run. i hope you keep your balance and that all goes well this week. i’m thinking of you.

joe...glad your knee feels great

macd....EXCELLENT! you did great! of course your girls showed up; you are a great mom and an awesome runner!  those hills are tough, way to go !

runjr...are you tapering? hope you get some runs in while out of town.  new state?

chili...LOL on showering your racemate! hahaha. GREAT time, you even had 2 seconds to spare! that is really great for a first hm and your ds was there to enjoy it too!

cscmartin....wow what a great race! and all girls! cool. you will make your goal i know.  darn nike+.  garmin is really great, but i have pushed the wrong buttons many times!  haha.  hope your ice bath is nice!

gigi...yes, these guys are awesome! i am inspired every day by them....those veterans were right, a garmin is really cool if you can get one!  hope you keep posting and let us know how you do.

jc...cali sounds so nice! 

chamblin....good idea to rest up if you need it! those intervals probably will not be missed.

cscmartin....take it easy this week!

chuck...hey hows the group going?  missed the ref sack!

kimnj...great job on deciding to do the hm! cant wait to hear how it goes!

chili....my full is nov 29.  it is hilarious that 80’s ppl remind you of me....

cls89....you’ll be running long runs before you know it! welcome to our group

spicegeek....great weight work!

love to all

Dec 14, 2007
    27. Oct 20, 2008 6:58 PM (in response to misswendy!)

hey Misswendy, not sure where your foot hurts but mine was hurting in the arch and I went to my running store and got a pair of orthotics { think thats how it's spelled } and my feet have gotton much better. Also could be you're tying your shoes to tight, on your longer runs your feet will swell more and cause your feet to hurt if thats it. I hope so much you're rest will do the trick. Your training is going so great, if you have to miss a few days do it as to not get worse. Magic healing powe coming your way

{ bclaf;qhfbn;vn'opj[  Thats the secret word say that 3 times and your feet will be fine, either that or Ice them and rest , which ever you choice!

• RunnerKimNJ Rookie 19 posts since
    Oct 19, 2008
    28. Oct 20, 2008 7:17 PM (in response to spicegeek)

Spice - thanks!  I'm not sure what you are referring to with slow, slow, slower...my pace or the length of my runs?  I am only doing a 12:30 mile on my long runs.  If I go any slower I might be walking  

Kim

Jan 14, 2007
    29. Oct 20, 2008 7:27 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Kim - slow enough to talk to another runner - not non stop - but 5 or 6 words at a time - your long training runs should be at a very easy pace 1.5 - 2 min per mile slower than your race pace - you should not be pushing your pace on the long runs

1 2 3 4 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...