Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13300 Views 92 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2008 10:04 PM by JCtherealdeal Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next
  • macd019 Pro 709 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Oct 21, 2008 6:07 AM (in response to spicegeek)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of October 19th

Good morning, all! The forecast here is pretty wet toward the end of the week, so I decided to try a short, slow run this a.m. 2.5m, felt good other than left hamstring still a little sore and still having GI issues... wish I could get that sorted out. Otherwise recovering fine.

Kim and CLS, welcome! You'll find lots of support and good advice on this thread. Good luck on your training!

spicegeek, great job on the kettle bell clean and press! I would surely injure myself. I agree that is an awesome pic, too... I've gotta start doing more core & upper body work!

chuck, nice 6 miles! Hope you get to see that grandbaby before she grows too much more Who do you think will be kicked off DWTS tonight?

misswendy, thanks! Sorry to hear your foot is hurting. I hope a day off helps. Or Chuck's magic healing (though that sort of looks like a curse to me lol).

Cara, take it easy! Your half is coming up fast!

Dari, Carmen, Reeb, hope you're all recovering well.

Pleasant running, all!

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Oct 21, 2008 7:03 AM (in response to macd019)

Hey everyone,

Ran 6 easy this morning in my Brooks - for the first few miles I was thinking that actually I liked the shoes and they felt good to run in, then they started hurting my toes again and I remembered why I should only use them on short runs!!!

Woke up this morning with a sore throat so i'm thinking I may be getting the cold DH has... At least i'm into a taper period so if I don't run much it shouldn't be too bad - as long as I can be fully fit for my HM.

Carmen - I will probably take a couple of days off after my HM then go for a short easy run Wednesday and then another Fri / Sat. Then back to 3 / 4 runs the week after increasing the distance, but keeping easy. It will really depend on how I feel after though... The Garmin really depends what you want - I have the 305 which I think is the same as the 205 but with heart rate monitor and maybe improved GPS receiver. The 405 is the new improved version - to me it wasn't worth the extra money over the 405, but  it does look pretty smart

Kim - welcome to the group! I used HH for my first half too as did many others here... it sounds like you are progressing well - post lots as it's really good at keeping you honest and going with the running

Dari - Are you still on that high? I've got one more week until my race - it's on the 2nd, but I don't think i've entered it into the calendar... naughty me This one is an equally dodgy area... The run goes through the grounds of this beautiful posh and private redbrick school - it's actually where I got married so will be an amazing experience... i'll get photos

CLS89 - welcome too! Do we call you CLS or do you have another name to go by??? It sounds like you have a good goal - post lots and let us know how you are getting on!

Spicegeek - good job on that weight training. I am definitely going to amend my training a little to cut back more... i think i'm still doing too much trying to get in 30 miles and 3 speed sessions this week. Even next week I think I still have a speed session on Monday... what was I thinking

Chuck - great job on that 6 miles... really speedy! Is the weather getting more bareable? Enjoy your group run tomorrow!

Misswendy - 3 10 miles + runs in one week??? HOW? you are totally mad! There is no way my marathon training will contain anything like that Great job with the intervals... take it easy with the foot!

Macd - Great job on getting a run in so soon after your race! Take care of those aches... do you have another race planned?

Well - loads of work and not getting through it all

Catch you all later

Cara x

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• RunnerKimNJ Rookie 19 posts since
    Oct 19, 2008
    33. Oct 21, 2008 8:59 AM (in response to spicegeek)

OK Good!  That's what I'm doing.  I am running my long runs very slow.  I do hold conversations very easily (well, 5 - 6 words at a time kind of easy) when I run my long run with others.  So I guess I'm on the right track.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!  On a down note I set my alarm 1 hour too late this morning and slept right through my running time.  Arrrghhhhh!  completely got my day off to a bad start. 

Happy running!

Kim

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    34. Oct 21, 2008 10:22 AM (in response to RunnerKimNJ)

Thanks for the welcome everyone!   I've added my upcoming half to the calendar, as well as my location to the map. 

"welcome too! Do we call you CLS or do you have another name to go by???  It sounds like you have a good goal - post lots and let us know how you are getting on!"

My name's Cristina 

As far as my training goes...I'm alternating one day on treadmill, then one on the eliptical.  In another week or 2 I'd like to get outside and run though.  It seems like I have good running days and bad ones...one day I can do 3 miles easily without stopping, the next time I run I will cramp up after half a mile...I'm hoping this will get better as I continue training.

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• danceandrun Rookie 181 posts since
    Jul 14, 2007
    35. Oct 21, 2008 10:42 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

After reading these posts for quite awhile now, it is time for me to jump in and admit to my secret hopes of running a half this spring.  I have quite a bit of training to do in order to reach that goal, but I am very excited about it.  I have just added a fourth run to my week- well I added it a couple of weeks ago.  So while my regular runs of 3 miles are becoming increasingly frustrating because I want to be able to run a bit longer, I am keeping them short while I get used to the extra day of running (a silly seeming 1 mile).  I have also been running C25k week 1 once a week with my 11 yr old DD, followed by races around the neighborhood with my 7 yr old DD.  I am counting that as speedwork!  So right now I am at 10 miles+ a week, and anxious to add.  My running partner is my 4 yr old yellow lab, River.  I have been doing short Pilates DVds with my DH a couple times a week, also. 

Reading all of your posts has been very motivating for me. Thanks for all the inspiration!

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    36. Oct 21, 2008 11:36 AM (in response to danceandrun)

hey yall

ran 13 this morning. my foot hurts still but who knows maybe tomorrow it will be better. i have started wearing shoes arouond the house instead of barefoot/flipflops to help support it while it (hopefully) heals!

ps does anyone make gingersnaps that are dark and crispy/crunchy? mine always turn out chewy....

chuck...thanks for the magic!

macd...curse! ha. glad your short run felt good, hope that gi trouble goes away. i was having lots of tummy issues, then everyone in my fam got a little bug and i think i actually had it first and just held on to it for a bout a month.

chamblin....yes, i am mad! haha i'm just following the book. i think i chose a huge plan! which shoes are you gonna run the hm ?

joe....enjoy the 4m run today, hope it is cool in the shade. the ref must have had a flashback to his uk years! lol

runnerkim...hope those long r uns go well. i talk to myself to make sure i am going slow enough, lol

cls89....great xtraining!

dancerun....lol on your secret hopes! i think now that you are telling us you want to run you will really get out there and do it!  great job getting used to 4 days of running. you will be there before you know it.

love to all

• CLS89 Legend 212 posts since
    Oct 13, 2008
    37. Oct 21, 2008 3:54 PM (in response to misswendy!)

Great job Wendy!, I can't wait until I can say "I ran 13"... or anything over 5 for that matter  Hope your foot feels better soon!

I just got back from the gym...I ran 2 miles around the track, which was good for me...I haven't learned how to pace myself yet (since I'm used to running on a treadmill) so usually I wear myself out by running a very fast 1st mile.  And did some weight machines...nothing too strenuous. 

~Cristina~ (@mission262)

Currently training for:

Electric City Gobbler 5k 11/25/20

Kiawah Island Half-Marathon 12/11/10

Shamrock Marathon 3/20/11

• chuck43 Expert 1,054 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Oct 21, 2008 5:06 PM (in response to CLS89)

hey everyone, had a great group run. ran with a freind of mine thats faster than me but he ran with me to help me out a little and pace me. Wanted to run a 8:20 pace, 3.19 miles in 26:51 so I wasn't much off, just a few seconds slower but thats good for me.

Wee got to go watch dancing with the stars.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    39. Oct 21, 2008 5:12 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

5 mile run this morning - then I took a cardio kettle bell that the girl who trains me has just started teaching - today was the first official class although she has tried part of the class out on my during my training sessions and I did a trial class with her last week. IT was a great but she was worried about what people thought - I think it`s tough to teach a group class when pretty much no one has a clue what to do so any error one person makes ripples thro the room because people look at each other.

oh and of course I got a little flirt in with my #1 EC !!

macd - hope you are feeling better - make sure you are drinking lots of water if you having tummy problems

cara - lots of water and vitamin C and of course don`t underestimate how good hot sweet tea is when you are getting a cold - rest well. Yeah I think 3 speed works a week a little much - are you following any program ?

danceandrun - hello ! your secret hope is no longer - it just became a goal ! we`re all here to help you achieve you goal - and you will !!

misswendy - you haven`t done anything nasty like fractured a bone in your foot have you ?? be careful !

Cristina - get yourself a cheap heart rate monitor that will help you pace yourself - or you just talk to yourself like misswendy !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• chuck43 Expert 1,054 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. Oct 21, 2008 8:18 PM (in response to spicegeek)

macd, I'm so mad at Dancing with the Stars, they keep voting off the good people and keeping that o;ld woman who don't do anything but be a flirt.

Cara, yes the weather is starting to get better here, about time! Hope you're doing better.

hey Spicey, great workout again!

• ToshiMoshi Expert 62 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    41. Oct 22, 2008 2:42 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Hi Cara,

I'm in London for work! Actually, I'm in Hammersmith, but London is such a beautiful city!

I'm leaving this Friday, so I don't have time to visit too many places, but I am amazed with everything I see.

There are so many cyclists and runners and they're all quite fast. I even saw people run-commuting to work!

And I had no idea the tube gets so packed in the morning. I thought I wouldn't be able to get out in time.

The parks are beautiful. I ran Richmond Park this morning and there are deers everywhere!

I'm running a marathon on Sunday when I get back in the US.

Good luck on ur half marathon!

toshi

• chilidogbeagle Rookie 64 posts since
    May 17, 2008
    42. Oct 22, 2008 6:01 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

hey everyone:

quick post... I tried to post yesterday, wrote a novel - addressed everyone and then the system ate it without a thank you.  So, I'll just post super fast for fear my efforts will not be rewarded yet again and I don't have another half hour to commit (boo.....).

I ran an easy 5.5 recovery yesterday that started rather slowly and ended nicely.   It's rainy and dreary here today so though I'm dressed and ready to go out for a run... I'm going to wait a bit and hope it clears first.  I seriously don't feel like taking a header because I'm clutzy and I've slipped on wet pavement & leaves... 

I'm still looking for my next big race and would love to do the PF Chang Rock n Roll Half in Phoenix on January 19th but I'm afraid that it's not in the budget since the market tanked.  We'll see... in the interim maybe a little one closer to home will have to do!

have a great day everyone!

dari

• cscmartin Expert 144 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    43. Oct 22, 2008 8:41 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

happy hump day everyone!

i think i am recovering well. i did 60 mins of spinning yesterday and 60 mins of weights today. I feel great probably will get back out in an easy run.

mac and dari already running this week. that is so awesome you guys just motivated me to run this evening so of course but i am going to do as nike slogan and just do it!

dari i was thinking about the pf chang run as well and having the same issues about the budget and market. i need to decide something quick i guess but still a little nervous about it.

i will check back with everyone after my run to catch with personals.

until then......

carmen

Carmen new2running08

2008 finished races

1st half on 5/4/08 2:11:50
    2nd half on 10/19/08 2:01:01

2009 finished races 

3rd half on 5/3/09 2:05:48

• danceandrun Rookie 181 posts since
    Jul 14, 2007
    44. Oct 22, 2008 9:59 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

Morning everyone!  No running for me today.  I am feeling a little sore after three running days in a row.  Usually I can get a rest day in after 2 but my schedule didn't allow it this week.  It actually lets me know that building my mileage slowly is the best way to go, even though I want to do more.  I do get to add one more mile to next week's runs though!  I will do Pilates with my husband tonight, hopefully.  Then, my regular 3 miles on Thursday.

And, yes, the secret is out now.  I figure if I have 1/2 training plans next to my bed and all my runs scheduled for the next 3 months, it is time to just accept it and jump right in.  to be honest with you, however, I have not mentioned this plan to anyone else.  The race I want to run also has a 5 miler, and running that has been my original plan.  So, my husband and girls know I am planning to run on that day, just not that I am eyeing the 1/2 instead.

I hope everyone has a great day of running or recovering.  It is gorgeous in the PNW this morning!

Erin

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...