Skip navigation

1399 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 13, 2008 9:09 PM by DamonLPoor RSS
11Astra Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 19, 2008 1:16 PM

Moving to San Diego

I'm moving to San Diego and am trying to find a relatively cycling-friendly area. I will be commuting to the Naval Base and would like to have the option to ride. So far it looks like Point Loma is cycling-friendly, and Little Italy/downtown seem to be the easiest in terms of a non gas-powered commute, not sure how riding in the traffic would be. Does anyone have advice or suggestions for good areas to live and ride in? Is Balboa Park good for road cycling? How are their trails? Also what are the cycling clubs in the area? Thanks for the info!

• DamonLPoor Amateur 20 posts since
    Jan 27, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 13, 2008 9:09 PM (in response to 11Astra)
    Re: Moving to San Diego

Hey,

I have not been in the forum lately and just saw your post. By now you are probably here in San Diego. Which Navy base are you at 32nd street? Depending on where you want to live and how long of a commute you are willing to endure there are many places you could live. Little Italy is close but the traffic in the evenings can be brutal. Point Loma is also close and parts of it are cycling friendly but not all of it.

What you will find in San Diego is that there is such a diverse community that not all of them are as tolerant towards each other as they should be. Two factors are contributing to this situation. The first is the Critical Mass participants. When it first started out it was a noble cause but any more it is an anarchist mentality with very little regard for traffic law's. The other is with the increase in fuel prices many are commuting on bikes and do not know the law's and also do not really have the experience required to ride in traffic. Drivers become frustrated and they dont care who it is because to them all cyclist are the same.

If you have'nt found a club yet I am on the board of San Diego Cyclo-Vets and we have a club ride that leaves from the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf in Mission Valley on Saturday mornings. We leave at 8:30 and the ride has several options. If you wish to check us out our web address is  www.cyclo-vets.org . We would be happy to have you join us.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points