Skip navigation

1264 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2006 12:45 AM by DistanceDude RSS
CastiWi Amateur 11 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 17, 2006 8:02 PM

Register for Boston

Hi,

Has anybody ever ran and register for Boston. Do they accept you the first time, or do they put you on a waiting list or lottery pool like New York. I know about the qualifying rules, but any information would help. I would like to go out for 2007.

• theheartless1 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Feb 19, 2006 9:01 AM (in response to CastiWi)
    Re: Register for Boston

you need to qualify just go to the website and look into it

• tmort68 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Feb 21, 2006 2:16 PM (in response to CastiWi)

Have you found the answer to your question yet? I am interested also in doing the Boston in 07. But the hard part is am I going to qualify come October. Anyhow, I will keep trying If I dont for 08 or 09 or10.......

• KodiakAthena Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Feb 21, 2006 3:23 PM (in response to CastiWi)

The year I did it, I got an e-mail after I registered saying my application would be accepted once they varified my qualifying time. About two or three weeks later, I got a second e-mail saying I was in.

From talking to those that do the race regularly, if you qualify and apply by the deadline, you should get in to that year's race. Have you not heard from the BAA yet? How long ago did you apply?

Jul 9, 2007
    5. Feb 21, 2006 3:26 PM (in response to CastiWi)

Sorry. Just noticed you're looking at 2007, so you haven't registered. If you try to qualify with an October race, you should have no problem. It doesn't work like NYC, where it's a crapshoot who gets in and who doesn't. Or some other races like Chicago which are first-come, first-served. I think there is a limit, but it's generous in proportion to the number expected to qualify and want to run it.

Jul 9, 2007
    7. Feb 23, 2006 8:39 AM (in response to CastiWi)

Sorry, CastWi, I misunderstood when you qualified. I'd contact the BAA to see which year your February race falls under. Or, you can ask the race director[s] of the marathon you just ran. They'd know. If you're allowed to defer to 2007, then I'd send in the registration as soon as the 2006 race is over. I did my application online, in October, and had no problem. Still plenty of spots. I'd imagine earlier would be even better. The form was pretty self-explanatory, too.

• DistanceDude Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Feb 24, 2006 12:45 AM (in response to CastiWi)

First-time qualifier for 2006 here. September is when they accept applications for the following year.

It is a very easy process.  Most marathons automatically forward their

results to Boston.  In general, if you qualify in a marathon AFTER (but

not including) the last weekend in

September, you are eligible for the

next TWO years in Boston.  If you qualify in a race prior to, and including the last weekend in September, you are eligible for only

the following year.  Entries are accepted first-come, first-serve, up

to around 20,000, and generally does

not fill up until late Jan or Feb.

Entry fee is around $100, and is non-refundable and non-transferrable.  If

you get injured after qualifying, as I

have unfortunately done, you have until April 15, 2006, to request a

medical exemption for the following year and your qualifying time will still be honored.  In 2006, for the first time, runners will be divided

into two waves.  The first wave (under

3:30) will start at noon, the second

wave (over 3:30) will start at 12:30.

You will still be in corrals according

to your time within each wave.  You can move to the back of a corral, but

not up, and you cannot change waves.

I was told I could walk the route (I've got IT band syndrome and can

barely run a mile at present) but if you don't finish in 6 hours, you will not be a part of the official and you

are not guaranteed a medal.  A limited number of spots are also available for non-qualifying runners who are willing to raise funds for Children's Hospital.  Have I left anything out? Probably, but GOOD LUCK!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...