Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7496 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2008 10:29 AM by CJulia 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
sleepheight Rookie 22 posts since
Oct 21, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2008 8:56 AM

Week of October 20th--Anyone starting?

Hi!  I'm starting C25K this week and was wanting a support group of others that were starting.  Anyone want to go through this with me?  I am 30 years old, married, two kids, stay at home mom, living in Georgia, and wanting to loose weight. 

Thanks!  ......hope someone is starting and wanting to write about their journey.

• CJulia Rookie 36 posts since
    Oct 3, 2008
    1. Oct 22, 2008 7:48 AM (in response to sleepheight)
    Re: Week of October 20th--Anyone starting?

Hi Sleepheight ~

I started 2 weeks ago - on week 3 this week.  But I'm also in my 30's and have a goal of weight loss...  Have you tried your day 1 run yet?  Let me know how it goes!

Oct 3, 2008
    3. Oct 22, 2008 10:21 AM (in response to sleepheight)

For week 1 and 2, the first day of each week was the hardest.  Then day 2 and 3 for both weeks were easier... So far for week 3 though, day 2 (which I just ran) wasn't any easier than day 1.  I was still very winded and my legs were like lead during both 3 minute runs... although, my exercise-induced asthma was less of a nuisance today, because I puffed my inhaler 20 minutes before the run as I learned to do...  I am pretty nervous about week 4 - so if I don't feel much better by the 3rd and the last run of week 3 on Friday, I think I'll repeat week 3 schedule next week...  We'll see!

Just keep at it...as hard as it is, it's bizzare, I'm enjoying it!  Happy running!

Oct 3, 2008
    5. Oct 23, 2008 8:28 AM (in response to sleepheight)

Hey ~

I think it's great that you kept pushing on, but be careful to not injure yourself.  Everyone's different - but for me - those 5 minute warm-up at the beginning of each C25K is not enough of a warm-up for me.  I'm not sure if what you're feeling is shin splint pain or not...  but regardless, I think you could also benefit from a longer warm-up.  I walk for a solid 10 minutes - after which I do a series of stretches...quads, hamstrings, calves, hip flexors, and also some specific stretches for shin splint prevention and then I start the day's C25K routine - which also continues to warm you up for another 5 minutes before starting any kind of jogging. 

If you want to read about shin splints, try http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0608.htm  - the article has some exercises for helping you stretch.  If you search within this forum, you'll find more information as well, I'm sure.

The trick is to really really warm-up - not to eat right before working out (may lead to cramping)...keep hydrated, well stretched out after warming up...etc.  I no longer cramp up during my runs - don't get me wrong, I still get sore, but that's just me being out of shape, so I get sore toward the end of a run...

I hope this helps!

• Alex90 Rookie 9 posts since
    Oct 23, 2008
    6. Oct 23, 2008 9:50 AM (in response to sleepheight)

Hi guys!

I also started the program this week, with w1d1 on  october 20th and w1d2 on october 22nd.  

Day 1 was pretty easy for me, but day 2 was kinda harsh, mainly because I had a big lunch 2 hours before the run (must remember not to do that mistake again ever  ). But in the end I finished it me still being alive yay! 

Looking forward to day 3 tomorrow \o/

Oct 3, 2008
    7. Oct 23, 2008 10:06 AM (in response to Alex90)

Welcome Alex!  Good luck with the program and keep us posted!  Happy running!

• hellosalsa Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 23, 2008
    8. Oct 23, 2008 10:42 AM (in response to sleepheight)

Hi everyone!

I also started the program this week.  I'm 26 from the St. Louis area and am hoping to lose weight and get into shape!  My husband and I are doing the program together.

Because I haven't been a regular exerciser in years, I'm planning to repeat weeks 1 - 3 twice to get my joints more accustomed to the increased use.  So far so good.  Yesterday was my W1D3, and we're planning to go out Friday as well.  I'm going to participate in a 5k walk this weekend and dream about running the same one next year!

I can use all the support I can get - looking forward to hearing how you are all doing!

Michelle

Oct 3, 2008
    10. Oct 23, 2008 11:02 AM (in response to hellosalsa)

Hi Michelle ~

I also was going to repeat week 1 and 2, but was told by many veterans of this forum not to do that - unless absolutely necessary...  by necessary, I think they were saying that go ahead and try the day 1 routine of the next week to see if you can do it, if you find that you couldn't then go back to the previous week's schedule for a couple more runs...  So you might want to consider going ahead through week 1 and week 2 in a row - I was and am very out of shape and was able to do that no problem...  Week 3, on the other hand, is kicking my butt - so if I don't feel better by the last run of week 3, I might do it for one more day before transitioning to week 4.  You'll be surprised how quickly you improve!  

Good luck and welcome!

• hellosalsa Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 23, 2008
    11. Oct 24, 2008 6:12 AM (in response to CJulia)

Good morning!  Thanks for the welcome, sleepheight and CJulia!

I appreciate the advice, CJulia!  I definitely feel like I'm ready for week 2 - I'm amazed how much I've progressed just during my first week.  W1D1 I was huffing and puffing, and by day 3 I was pretty comfortable out there.  The weather has been perfect for it - around 65 degrees.  We're going to start week two on Monday.  Hurray!

One of my challenges is staying loose while I do the jogging.  I tend to get tense in my shoulders.  Do any of you have that problem?

Have a great weekend!

-Michelle

• Alex90 Rookie 9 posts since
    Oct 23, 2008
    12. Oct 24, 2008 6:24 AM (in response to hellosalsa)

I remember reading somewhere that if your shoulders are tense it means that you tend to raise your hands to chest level that meaning that you are tired. Probably you are running to fast?

Oct 3, 2008
    13. Oct 24, 2008 7:36 AM (in response to Alex90)

Not sure... I do notice that sometimes I'm really tense overall...and I read that runners can tense up like that.  It was in an article another C25K forwarded to me, callsed "Keep Your Focus" in the runnersworld.com site.  (http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12903-0,00.html if your'e interested in the article).  In it, there's an advice that says: "Relax your jaw...Relax your shoulders...Run tall...Run smooth... Flow."   LOL...not sure about running smooth and flowing yet, as I'm too busy being out of shape and trying to breathe, but I have tried to relax my jaw and shoulders...  and it helps me. 

It's my Week 3 Day 3 today, hopefully it will be easier!  If not...I'll have to consider doing at least one more day of Week 3 schedule, I think.  I'll report after the run!  Happy Running everyone, and Happy Friday!!!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...