Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1955 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2009 9:32 PM by nkcrunner RSS
forbescj Rookie 2 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 22, 2008 7:21 AM

Weight gain and marathon training?

I have been a runner for about 7 years, mainly for fitness but I have done an occasional 5K.   Now I am training for my first marathon in December.  I started out at 145 and 18% body fat.   But now I am 149 and 19.6% body fat.  I'm 5'8" so 149 is still OK but I worked hard to get to 145 only to see it come back up as I run more?  I eat about 1800 - 2300 calories a day (mostly around 2100).  I eat 5 or 6 small meals a day.  I've tried cutting back a little by eating smaller snacks (200 calories vice 300) but then end up famished and can't take my mind off of food. 

I'm wondering if anyone has experinced this and what they did or didn't do about it.

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 29, 2008 9:59 AM (in response to forbescj)
    Re: Weight gain and marathon training?

My initial thought is that four pounds really isn't a big deal and is certainly nothing to worry about.  My weight can often fluctuate about five pounds during a day.  On the other hand, you may need to start increasing your caloric intake to match the increase in what you are burning.  You may not be giving your body enough fuel and it is attempting to conserve resources by slowing down your metabolic rate in an effort to decrease calorie use.  The general rule of thumb is that you burn about 100 calories per mile so you could use up your entire day's intake during a long run and not have enough calories to make it through the other 20-22 hours of the day.  One of the great things about marathon training is that as long as you are eating healthy foods you really don't need to watch how much you are eating.  I hope this helps.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

• lindsruns Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 17, 2009
    2. Jan 29, 2009 12:59 PM (in response to forbescj)

I started training in July for my first marathon and have experienced the same weight gain.  I'm 5'3 and when I started I weighed 115 lbs...now I'm up to 124 lbs and only eat 1200-1500 calories per day.  It's so frustrating because I'm gaining weight in all the wrong places!  Any suggestions?

• Horse_Fly Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 2, 2008
    3. Feb 1, 2009 7:36 PM (in response to lindsruns)

I had to same thing happen to me.  I tried increasing my calories and decreasing my calories, but neither worked.  Although, increasing my calories did make my runs easier.  Anway, eventually I discovered that I could be overtraining and sending my body into a stress response..  This causes a release of cortisol which causes my body to store fat.  It seemed possible, especially since I have anxiety issues anyway.

To try to fix this, I started taking breaks in my runs if my HR got too high (above 85%).  When I started doing that my weight started to drop.  Now that I'm ramping up the miles in training for my half marathon in April, I'm starting to see it creep back up.  My runs feel easy, just longer these days, so I don't think I'm overtraining again.   I wonder if I now need to adjust my calories up. 

I'd really like to take a metabolic test to get exact calorie numbers, but I haven't found a place to have that done locally.

HorseFly

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly." - Buddha

• nkcrunner Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 3, 2009
    4. Feb 3, 2009 9:32 PM (in response to forbescj)

focus on foods that make you fill full longer. prolly has more to do with what you're eating. you only need to carb up for really long runs.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/joybauernutrition/23785/healthy-foods-that-make-you-feel-full/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...