Skip navigation

3221 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2008 3:27 AM by wonwood RSS
ATLarea Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 22, 2008 4:22 PM

Advice for Recovery - please

It's my first marathon, and any advice about post-race recovery would be appreciated.  (I've done 2 Half's in the past year, and took awhile, about 3 weeks, to feel better.)  How long to wait before resuming running?  My concern is whether I'll be able to do the Atlanta Thanksgiving Day Half marathon with my daughter ~ her first. 

Thanks, Charlene

• zoom1 Legend 288 posts since
    Jan 22, 2008
    1. Oct 22, 2008 5:47 PM (in response to ATLarea)
    Re: Advice for Recovery - please

Ice bath after the marathon.  Make sure that you feed and hydrate yourself after the marathon and the days that follow.  The night of the marathon, no matter how sore you are, you should go out for a 15-20 minute walk to induce circulation in your body.  The absolutely worse thing that you can do after the marathon and the day after the marathon is just lay in bed and hope that the pain goes away. Movement will help with blood flow to the problem areas.   Ice anything and everything that you can.  This will help reduce swelling and aid recovery.

• fire runner Amateur 16 posts since
    Feb 29, 2008
    2. Oct 22, 2008 6:25 PM (in response to ATLarea)

In Runners World November 08 issue on page 32 they have a bounce back plan which recommends a plan for a follow up race based on 4-6-8 weeks out. I would do two things, one listen to your body. The training you have done leading up the MCM is really hard on your body. There can be micro tears and time is a good practice rather than head into the next race full tilt. Secondly, I have heard about an ice bath being one of the best things. I was able to tolerate a very cold shower at best. So the advice about the ice bath is very consistent and I would imagine the best for you. Stretching and your diet will assist with recovery. I hope this helps. For immediate relief they did hand out last yr ben gay patches. I laughed at first, but afterwards they sure did feel good on my knees, especially going down stairs. Good luck and be careful. Listen to your body:)

Listen to everyone one, follow no one. run for life !

• MJB2006 Amateur 15 posts since
    Mar 26, 2008
    3. Oct 22, 2008 6:27 PM (in response to zoom1)

what works best for me, is to try to keep active the rest of the day. At the finish of the race, I try to keep moving (walking) Drink plenty of fluids. Hot tub is nice, but limit your time. Stairs can be real fun the next morning.

• cplmtz0121 We're Not Worthy 2,455 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    4. Oct 22, 2008 6:31 PM (in response to MJB2006)

There's this really cool article for recovery in one of Runners World editions.  I'll find it tonight and post it tomorrow.  It gave a pretty much minute by minute after the run steps and advice for the days that follow too.

Hard-charging motivating Devil Dog

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Oct 22, 2008 7:33 PM (in response to ATLarea)

I agree with Zoom and MJB2006.  An ice bath after the marathon (the coldest water you can stand will do almost as well), then a good walk Sunday afternoon or evening.  Hydrate well and eat well to rebuild.  Walk every day until you feel like running.  No hard running for three and a half weeks.

Len

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    6. Oct 22, 2008 7:37 PM (in response to ATLarea)

You should have some protein and a lot of carbs soon after the marathon, even if you don't feel like eating.  Well, at least try to.  I drink Slim-Fasts.  They're easy and great for you.

You'll be fine for the half-marathon by Thanksgiving.  I did one the first week of Dec. after last year's MCM.  The longest training I did was run 10 miles the week before the half-marathon and I did great at the race.  You will too!  Best of luck to you and your daughter.  My daughter ran the MCM with me last year and is running the Houston Marathon with me in January!

• CFByrne Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 16, 2008
    7. Oct 23, 2008 2:47 AM (in response to ATLarea)

Hal Higdon has some excellent info on running long races shortly after a marathon:

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/multiple/Multiplemara.htm

In 2004 I ran (slowly) the Palm Beach Half the Sunday after New York City full.

I would not necesarilly recommend this - but I didn't kill myself or break anything.

"YMMV".

• wonwood Expert 41 posts since
    Aug 26, 2008
    8. Oct 23, 2008 3:27 AM (in response to ATLarea)

As far as feeling sore the next day nothing is going to be better than an ice bath for you muscles.  For running a marathon on Thanksgiving you should be fine.  Hal Higdon has specific programs (and Free) on his website to show you training programs when doing back to back races within six races.

For a quick recovery from any run (especially the long runs) most studies say you need to start to eat immediatley (within 15 minutes) of stopping excercise a portion of carbs and protein.   The are specialty drinks such as accelerade or Endurox that are specifically designed to promote recovery of your muscles.  However if you don't have one of those handy at the end of the marathon the poor man's best substitute is get a 2% chocalate milk.  It has all of the carbs and protein your body will need.

http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/2007/09/chocolate-milk-.html

Wood

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points