Skip navigation

3626 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2008 5:13 PM by Myblueeyedgurl RSS
atsa111 Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 22, 2008 7:45 PM

Beating the bridge

I am a newbie and concern about beating the bridge. I think i will be ok but i am concerned that there will be a possibility that i do not. Sooooo what happens? Do i get pulled off? am i able to finish or is some bridge closed and im stuck?

also i have been training with my ipod and i think i will be lost without it. do i REALLY have to go with out it???? looking for exerienced mcm runners to reply.

im just a casual runner

• AnnieMae Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 27, 2007
    1. Oct 23, 2008 3:33 AM (in response to atsa111)
    Re: Beating the bridge

I ran the MCM last year and beating the bridge was also my concern, and unfortunatley I dont know what they do if you dont beat the bridge.  I think they open the bridge to traffic but you are still able to run.

Regarding your ipod, again same story with me.  Trust me...you will have a better experience without your ipod.  The crowd participation, other runners, bands and so forth on the course you will enjoy your run.  I do bring mine along 'just in case' i need that extra motivation to get through the tough spots.  But last year I didnt need it.

Have a great run! 

Anne

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

Steve "PRE" Prefontaine

• zoom1 Legend 288 posts since
    Jan 22, 2008
    2. Oct 23, 2008 4:25 AM (in response to AnnieMae)

AnnieMae wrote:

I think they open the bridge to traffic but you are still able to run.

Incorrect.  There are series of buses.   They are the yellow school bus kind.  After the cutoff time, the police begin the process of opening up the bridge to traffic.  You won't be able to run on the bridge once this occur.     The race gives you the option of taking the bus back to the finish line or you can make it back there on your own by whatever means you'd prefer (i.e., metro). 

Basically when you reach the bridge and you are not there in time, the police will prevent you from entering it.  The race is flexible.  If they see you coming then will allow you to enter it.  It's not like they are there with a stop watch saying 5, ,4, 3, 2, 1 ... no more.  

If you can make it to the bridge before the cutoff, you are allowed to cross it without interruptions.  In other words, they won't pull you off the bridge while you are on it (assuming you don't take an hour to run the mile long stretch).  You goal is to make it to the entry point of the bridge.  Once you've done that, you are golden.

• AnnieMae Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 27, 2007
    3. Oct 23, 2008 7:58 AM (in response to zoom1)

Zoom...thanks for that answer!  That is good motivation to move faster. 

Anne

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

Steve "PRE" Prefontaine

• Surfside262 Expert 39 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    4. Oct 23, 2008 10:28 AM (in response to atsa111)

I do all my training with my ipod but you will enjoy the MCM experience better if you don't use it. I don't even bring it. But you may want to bring it in case you need it. I find that the the crowd, the other runners, and  the sights and sounds are more than enough to keep you moving and motivated. Good luck and you will beat the bridge.

• cindykayak Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    5. Oct 23, 2008 3:29 PM (in response to atsa111)

Two years ago (my first time) I did not btb. A group of us refused to get on the bus, could not access the course, and had to creatively find our way back over to Virginia (you know there is a really large cold river there, right?) Anyhow, after playing in traffic (which I DO NOT recommend), we all found our way back to the course and finished long after the marathon was officially over. Still received a medal from a marine, a gentleman handed me an American flag, and asked me if I would like to run through the finish with it- one of the highlights of my life. It is still an incredible experience no matter how long it takes.

Last year, I btb- I was elated! Still, the pace car passed me before I reached the finish, I was 3-4 minutes away when I heard them officially close the course. They were pulling down the finish line banner of balloons as I ran up and shouted "wait for me!" A guy held up the finish line banner long enough for me pass- still got a medal and an incredible experience.

Just stay ahead of the pace car!

(not running this year- foot problems)

• scott.bondar Amateur 8 posts since
    May 6, 2008
    6. Oct 23, 2008 5:00 PM (in response to atsa111)

How much time do you have to make it?

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    7. Oct 23, 2008 5:08 PM (in response to scott.bondar)

You gots until 1:15

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss
  • scott.bondar Amateur 8 posts since
    May 6, 2008
    8. Oct 23, 2008 5:10 PM (in response to Myblueeyedgurl)

We all start at 8 right?  So that's 5 hours for 19 or 20 miles...right?

• Myblueeyedgurl Community Moderator 3,358 posts since
    Nov 19, 2007
    9. Oct 23, 2008 5:13 PM (in response to scott.bondar)

It depends on where you are in the crowd. You want to be in your appropriate Time Corral. It could take 30 minutes to cross the start mat. If you can run a 14 min mile on your long runs, Don't sweat it.

"You won?t lag behind, because you?ll have the speed. You?ll pass the whole gang and you?ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you?ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest. " - - Dr. Seuss

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points