Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

959 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2006 4:58 PM by lisahorn
schweers9 Expert 61 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 15, 2006 9:13 AM

First marathon

Okay, so my marathon is next month, I can run for about an hour and a half without stopping.  I know this is not a lot for most people, but this is all that I can do (I know it is mental) for now!

I am worried that I will be able to handle it, and I know about incorporating walk/run method.  But my question is, when I am done this run, I am exhausted!  I am going slow, but I feel like I can sleep for hours!  Does anyone else have this problem??

• henrydavidhall Expert 48 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Feb 16, 2006 8:30 AM (in response to schweers9)
    Re: First marathon

I've done 5, finished 4 marathons and yes, after my long runs, I want to sleep.  Even when runnign slow, you have put a significant stress on your body and its fuel systems.  like a boa constrictor, I just want to eat and sleep after my runs.

do in practice what you plan to do for your race.  IF the race plan is walk and run, then incorporate walk and run in your long runs.

• lisahorn Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Feb 16, 2006 4:58 PM (in response to schweers9)
    Re: First marathon

Not to scare you, but if you are a slow runner (11-12 minute miles I'm guessing) and you are only running 1.5 hours, you're not ready for a full marathon and you're setting yourself up for injury. A month prior to race day, you should be able to run/walk 18-22 miles, which would take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours. Also, it's about time to begin tapering down to the race. Jeff Galloway's Marathon You Can Do It book has a mileage schedule that's good to follow.

Another question, are you consuming some type of fuel in that 1.5 hours? If not, you should be and this could be the reason for such extreme fatigue. For every 45-60 minutes of exercise, you need fuel or you'll start burning muscle. I use GU--one before running and one every 60 minutes of exercise. Whatever the fuel choice, make sure you use it on training runs first to make sure your body can tolerate it.

I've run one full and three half marathons since November. My long training runs on the weekend last two hours (usually 10-12 miles), but I'm not so exhausted that I can't do anything. After breakfast, shower and a long stretching session, I'm completely back to normal.

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...