Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1543 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2008 5:06 PM by Imgellin RSS
Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
Jul 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2008 2:20 PM

Hills & Sprinting

I've been training every other day for 5K's since July. On my in-between days, I cross train, which is usually biking or taking a 1-hour walk. My last race was my best, at 22:57. I'm trying to get it down to the late 19's or early 20's. How can I fit hill training and sprinting (100 yard dashes or 220's) into my present training?

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,377 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Nov 2, 2008 7:34 AM (in response to Imgellin)
    Re: Hills & Sprinting

Are you truly running every other day, or three days a week? Do you take a rest day periodically? You need to decide what your "training cycle" is: 7 days, 10 days, 14 days, for instance. Then pick one day out of the cycle and go to the track. Do a mile warmup, run your intervals (200s and 400s) with equivalent easy intervals between the fast repeats, then cooldown for a mile. Pick another day to do hill repeats. The workouts are very similar, except for doing hills instead of track repeats.  Go easy on the downhills. If you are running three days a week, you may want to alternate - do intervals one week and hills the next.

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,377 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Nov 2, 2008 3:06 PM (in response to Imgellin)
    Re: Hills & Sprinting

By training cycle I mean the number of days over which your training runs repeat.  I mentioned that because your said you run every other day.  If you literally run every other day, you would have to have an even number of days over which you repeat.  So you might do hills, rest/x-train, easy run, x-train, long run, rest, then repeat that sequence.  That would be a 6 day cycle.  Most runners use a 7 day (weekly) cycle.  But with a weekly cycle you either have to run on consecutive days or take two non-running days in a row.  I hope that makes sense.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points