Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14683 Views 127 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2008 7:34 AM by ksrunr RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Nov 29, 2008 4:00 PM (in response to ksrunr)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - November

Congrats on placing in the race KS!

Things have fallen apart a little bit this week, but I expected it to go that way.  Wed was a day off.  Thurs was a day off as well.  Friday I was on XC skis for the first time this year.  Managed 10k in about 90 min.  Today I was sore in the upper body, but went out for another 7k ski this afternoon.  Weather is pretty nice with temps just above zero (C) but the snow is a bit sticky.  Tomorrow I will try to run for a couple of hrs.

DD ran a 1500 race today.  Said all her fast teammates are at XC nationals in Guelph, so she was first overall out of 5 runners, in 5:04.  It was  PR for her but 9 sec off her goal.  She said she went out at 38 sec per 200, and was right on 4 min at 1200 meters.  She still has not learned to relax and go out slowly, and build from there.  A couple of weeks ago she was doing 1200 meter intervals at 40 sec per lap, and said she could easily have gone another 300 meters at that pace,  But...........I guess you eventually learn that fast starts result in slow finishes unless you have talent!

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    121. Nov 30, 2008 7:22 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Raider's royalty? 

I'm set for a long run in the pool this afternoon.  The wet and cold outside makes a couple of pool hours even more palatable.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    122. Nov 30, 2008 12:03 PM (in response to ksrunr)
    ksrunr wrote:

Jim - I only warmed up 1.25-1.5 miles. Didn't feel right even then. 16.25 miles this morning ez.

You might have felt better after a couple more miles. One thing that helps me to understand the importance of the pre-race warmup is when I think about my daily runs. I usualy run a 1.4 miles loop on the grass that is aways 20-30 seconds or more slower on the first loop than on the next one, even if I don't consciously try to go slow. By the 3rd loop I'm going 40-60 seconds faster than the first with no increase in effort--actually the effort is less. There has to be a lesson there. Can I afford to give up 20 seconds or more during the first part of a race by not having a good warmup? Warmups are very underrated, imo.

Yesterday was my final run of any substance until next Sunday. I did a 20k, averaging 8-min pace for the first half and mid 6:50's for last half. It will be all slow-easy runs from here on execpt for 3 miles at M pace on Wednesday and a few strides on a couple other days. No long warmup for the marathon, though

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    123. Nov 30, 2008 9:20 AM (in response to fred-urie)

I admit to being still a bit fatigued after Thursday's 8-miler. I had no energy at all today so just backed off and jogged 4.4 miles in a horribly slow time.  I felt just fine, but I realized it's just tiredness.  Anyway, I'm happy with it.

I'm with Jim on the warmup stuff.  My normal plan for a fiveK was always to run the course first as  a warmup, then run the race, then run the course again to cool down.  There are guys in my AG who used to question the sense of doing all those miles to warm up as they did maybe half a mile with some strides.  But they always finished behind me too, so I don't know what their point was.  I am slow to warm up and for a fiveK I need to run for quite some time.  When I was doing those long wave runs last year I knew that I was running those final miles comfortably, which taught me that I could put some miles in and still run hard.   Spareribs

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    124. Dec 1, 2008 3:42 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

I learn something from everyone here and thought of all during my pool time today.

I went to the pool hoping to meet others doing an easy workout. No one, save a few brief lap swimmers, appeared. What to do with the two allotted hours since I decided to leave the cap and goggles in the locker? It's difficult to determine distance in the pool, so I decided to do time at perceived effort. 2 hours = 1/2 marathon. I was ready to quit at 90 minutes, but wanted to report a full 2 hours. Accomplished. Healthy goal: a 1/2 next September.

Jim, take care of yourself this week.

JP, hope all is well. I need some cycling wisdom if you check in.

I edited this because I can't figure out how to make the paragraph spacing work consistently.

Message was edited by: euphoric

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    125. Nov 30, 2008 3:43 PM (in response to euphoric)

Sunday,

6 miles easy.  I ran the reclaimed railroad bed and encountered 5 women on horseback at about 1.5 miles.  The lead rider asked if their way of traveling the trail might be more enjoyable than mine and I let her think she was right.

Nice workout Euph, good luck with that half in Sept.

There's no racing for me for a while, so it's time to concentrate on maintaining what fitness I've got and let a few niggles heal. 

Tigger, sounds like your skiing's in full swing, enjoy....

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    126. Dec 1, 2008 7:32 AM (in response to fred-urie)

5.4 slow, but felt much better, so I guess I am now recovered.   Off to Chicago for the rest of the week.  Bad weather there.   Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    127. Dec 1, 2008 7:34 AM (in response to fred-urie)

2 months in a row Ribz that you are "clueless".   Come on Fred; help poor Ribz out with a new thread.  Raider is probably watching.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...