Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15231 Views 127 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2008 7:34 AM by ksrunr Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Previous Next
  • Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    62. Nov 15, 2008 8:52 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - November

The snow finally stopped late last night.  We got about 12 inches, and as usual the plows were still in hibernation this morning when I tried to go for a run outdoors.  I managed a mile out and a mile back....in 35 minutes!!!  Just too hard to run outdoors, so I'll set up my TV in front of my TM and try again this aft.

More snow forecast for later today!!

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    63. Nov 15, 2008 9:25 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Morning all.  Tigger I sure don't envy you and your snow.   55 degrees this morning with a blustery 30 mph canajun wind blowing out of the North.  7:10 pace in the hills.

Snake sighting this a.m.    Don't know if it was dead or sunning itself on the warm pavement.  Didn't bother to find out!!  Weather forecast for the S.A. rock n roll marathon tomorrow is about 40 degrees at start and mid 60's at the end.  Sunny, clear, and no wind.  Have several friends up to run the full and some the half.

Had 3 quality workouts this week with the 800's Tues, a brisk tempo Thurs, and near marathon race pace in the hills today.  For Boston I think I'm going to peak out at 60-65 miles with more quality instead of 75 - 80 miles a bit slower.

Sunday will rest

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    65. Nov 15, 2008 12:21 PM (in response to fred-urie)

I got 4 in today at the local park, 9:50's.  Tomorrow if I feel okay I will run 5.  Spareribs

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    66. Nov 16, 2008 9:26 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Got my first 5-miler in as planned in 9:48s.  Felt super.  Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    68. Nov 16, 2008 10:52 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, you are already running faster than me.  Pretty soon you'll be faster AND farther.

Too messy outdoors, so I ran on my TM at home for 2 hrs & 15 min.  For the first 90 min I ran every fifth minute at 5% grade.  After 90 min I slowly increased the pace until I was done.  My back feels a bit weak now but legs are fine and HR was steady throughout.  More snow on the way...I will be returning to work this aft and won't be back home til Thursday.

DD ran in Toronto (OTFA Jr Women XC) today.  It was billed as a 5k race but turned out to be between 6k and 7k.  She said the course was total mud from the past days of rain and earlier races for youth and midget men and women, so conditions were not very good.  At 18 min she started looking for the finish line.  She was 5th as she crossed the 5k mark, and then she stopped, but was told she wasn't finished!  So she started running again for another 7 minutes, catching up to one of two people who passed her when she stopped.  She was 6th overall in 25 min, 2 min behind Tamara Jewett, who was 1st in this race and 5th at CIS XC last weekend.  DD is pretty pleased with her race but says she would have done better if she had known it was longer than 5k.  Next up are 1500m and 3000m time trials later this week.  This is where she finds out how well she's improved thanks to the speed work.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    69. Nov 16, 2008 3:36 PM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Way to go Spareribs...

Tigger, good luck to your DD in the time trials later this week, she's running really well.

Sorry I'm not checking in more, there's just not much to post. 

Sunday, 3 miles slow.  Walked the first two and jogged the last...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    70. Nov 17, 2008 6:22 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Morning group.  Starting another new week with an pedestrian 6 miler with the wife.  Her training partner didn't show.   42 wonderful degrees this morning with no wind.

Legs are starting to come back after my Oct marathon and am looking forward to our local half marathon Dec. 20.   Hoping to go sub 1:24.  We shall see.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    71. Nov 17, 2008 7:41 AM (in response to ksrunr)

And another good morning from here.

Well, as soon as I start shooting off my mouth about breaking 3 hours I've run into a couple speed bumps. First was the slowing down over the final 3rd of last week's 30k. Than yesterday I set out to do 6 x's 2 miles at M pace with training partner but had to pull up during first rep because of groin strain. We changed it to an easy run that I finished 16 of before having to walk last 2 miles. Although I don't think it is serious, momentum is not going the right way with less than 3 weeks to marathon. I'm going to try eliptical this afternoon and see how it goes.

Dec 14, 2007
    74. Nov 17, 2008 1:10 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Race results were not up til this morning, so yesterday I wrote what DD told me over the phone.  Turns out that Jewett did not run although she was registered, and DD was 7th, not 6th.  She was a minute behind the winning time.  She said she sent the RD a nasty note about poor organization.  Based on the course lengths and the fact that no one knew the courses were long I would agree with her.  Time to turn to track season.

I hit the TM for a half hr warmup, followed by 60 min at a good pace, including 35 min near threshold.  Finished with 10 min cooldown.

More snow today.  We got about 24 inches since yesterday morning.  Now it's raining!  Looks like TM for the rest of the week.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...