Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14559 Views 127 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2008 7:34 AM by ksrunr RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Nov 18, 2008 7:52 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - November

No snow and no rain since noon yesterday!  Cooler temperatures have frozen everything solid though.

10 min walking warmup at 8%, followed by 80 min running at 1% with every fifth minute at 5%.  Then a 10 min cooldown.  Other than legs feeling a bit draggy right at the start of the run, this was a good workout.

DD running 3000 meter trial today.  First race of the year!  PR is 10:50.  Goal is 10:20.

Dec 14, 2007
    76. Nov 19, 2008 7:09 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Where is everybody?  Three posts in a row!

No snow again, but I workout between 4 and 6 AM so too dark to go outside.  I took it a bit easier today.  30 min walking warmup, 60 min run and 10 min walking cooldown.  Warmup was at 8% and run was at 1% with every fifth minute at 5%.  I feel good enough to do it again!

DD had a poor race yesterday but still managed to equal her PR.  She says her legs were stale after Sunday's XC race and there was a lot of bumping and jostling on the indoor track (200m) for the first half of the race.  Best runner was 10:30, so she was not far behind, and she feels she can compete at that pace if she isn't tuckered out.  She is supposed to do a 1500 trial tomorrow with a PR of 5:09 and a goal of 4:50.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    77. Nov 19, 2008 7:22 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hey Tigger - sounds like your daughter has been running a lot and fast lately.  Maybe just getting tired?   Hope she runs her next race well.  50 degrees and no wind this morning.  Ran 10 miles of hills with one of my training partners who just finished the San Antonio marathon.  He didn't have a good quality race so he was ready to hit the road again.   Only an 8:27 pace today so I'll call it recovery miles.   That is his goal pace for marathon and he can run that easily for 16-18 but just bonks after that.

Last night was going to run 6 or 7 X 800 at the local track.  Last week after this workout I couldn't wait for Tues to do it again.  Anticipated it and watched the clock all day.   Got to the track and the h.s. soccer coach parked his truck and trailer on the 1st turn again.  Last week we asked him to move it and he did grudgingly.   This time my training partner apparantly didn't ask him politely enough and they had words and he refused to move it.   I ran 2 repeats and was just getting angry so I stopped.   After practice 3 of us talked to him and asked him why he was so hard to get along with.  Said he didn't have to get along with us and if we didn't like it; go away.   We resolved it and he says he will park differently; we'll see.   My faith doesn't allow me to start a fight but I wanted to.  

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    79. Nov 19, 2008 11:45 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Just back from a grind of a day in PA.  The work wasn't so bad, but I had to rent a car in Baltimore and drive up there the day before and then back to the airport afterwards to catch an evening flight home.  Glad I took the day off from running.

KS and Fred, I won't stand or park in your lane, believe me.

Tigger's daughter will bounce back from that race.  She's doing a lot lately.

Ran 3 easy on Monday, day off yesterday and 3 slow but difficult today; tired I think.  Spareribs

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    80. Nov 20, 2008 6:43 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Tigger, they're making snow on the mountain here today. It's 22 degrees but the ground's bare. REAL skiers don't need no mountain to ski, we go cross country...

Did anyone see the tv show the other day about people with extreme morbid obesity? A middle aged man weighed over 1000 pounds, a 29 year old woman over 900 and a 19 year old boy over 800. They say it's an epidemic, people too fat to be considered for gastric bypass surgery. Yikes!

I'm still taking it easy on my heel, warming up with a Nordic walk, then a few miles of easy running.

Monday - 2 mile walk, 1 mile run

Tuesday - 2 mile walk, 2 mile run

Wednesday - 1 mile walk, 4 mile run

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    81. Nov 20, 2008 5:17 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

I certainly hope any of the rest of you finding yourselves in PA would at least have time for a cup of coffee. 

24 inches of leaves and 4 snowflakes here this morning.  I'm still in the pool and see a doctor this afternoon just to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.   I'm now kept very busy with pool running students I meet with several times a week.  I added two new elements to the work yesterday and can feel every mm of my legs this morning.  I'm still hoping to get one more long ride in before the bike has to go onto the trainer.

Fred, don't mess around in my  lane.

Dec 14, 2007
    82. Nov 20, 2008 7:11 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

No snow again today, but the forecast for the next 7 days is snow or rain. 

I really enjoy XC skiing.  I have a membership here in Smithers.  We ski from late Nov to early May, but there is plenty of snow til June on the trails because they are above 1500 meters.  We have 5k of lit trails out of 50 k total.  Smithers skiers always do well in provincial and national competitions. I suspect one of the European teams may scoop our location for training next year, before the olympics.

Today was 10 min walking warmup (8%) followed by 1:50 easy running, followed by 10 min walking cooldown.  TM always seems to be easier than running outdoors, so probably the equivalent of a 75 min outdoor run.  Today is the last day at the mine this week.  Tomorrow I'll be back in town and on Monday down to Vancouver for 3 days.  Maybe a run or two in Stanley park or on the seawall.

Dec 14, 2007
    83. Nov 20, 2008 11:38 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Euphie, you know I would kill for a dinner date with you.  I was in E. Petersburg, near Lancaster.  Where in PA are you?  I am often in PA but generally in Pittsburgh, too far west for you I imagine.

Another slow and difficult 3 miler today and also now have a mild pain in the right side of the right buttock and just below it, like a twinge.  I don't like the feel of that.  I started back in with core exercises this morning because I believe my not having done them in ages has weakened me.  I sure didn't want to do things like front planks and rip my chest open, so I have been exceedingly cautious, but my light workout today went fine and I will build a good routine now.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    84. Nov 20, 2008 1:24 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

I am a stone's throw away from Lancaster and there is a terrific Thai restaurant there.    On a nice day, it would be no challenge to cycle to Lancaster.  It's hardly a really big challenge to pedal to Baltimore.  I'm in Carlisle, home of the Army War College and trucking hub to the world.

I'm home with a new consult to pt and not finding much humor in "pain in the butt" and "turning the other cheek" jokes.  Ribs, no pain in that area should be ignored at our age.  You get no "degree of difficulty" multiplier for running with pain in that region.  See a pro pronto and nip things in the butt, no, bud. 

Husband called from London and asked, "Would you rather have a cashmere sweater or cycling jersey with a crash dummy on it?"  Dummy that I am, I suggested a box of tea.

Aug 14, 2007
    85. Nov 20, 2008 2:08 PM (in response to euphoric)

Fred, "lane" equals pool equivalent.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    86. Nov 20, 2008 7:26 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Euphoric - Do you get to travel with your hubby?   My wife's been to London a couple times.  Her sister lived over there several years and sang in the Welsh National Opera.

Had to drive several hours to and from a funeral today so just got to run tonight only.  5.75 miles at 7:25 pace.  Not hard, not easy, not cold, not hot.  Felt just perfect.

10 miles of hills in the manana.

Dec 14, 2007
    87. Nov 21, 2008 9:28 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Euphie, PNC Bank bought the Sterling Bank and I was doing some work for them.  I will probably be back there too, and when I do I will drop you a line.  In this last trip it was planned just about to the second to get in and out.

I felt super today, just 3.3 miles and no twinge whatsoever.  Did a mess of core/stretch at the Y afterwards.  Spareribs

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    88. Nov 21, 2008 12:59 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Tigger, the trail I ski is a 10 mile stretch of old railroad bed that's been converted to a recreational trail. In the winter, the local snowmobile club grooms it for their members and it's great for xc skiing. You've always got to be mindful of who you're sharing the trail with though, snowmobilers can be downright dangerous at times. I know the trail well and logged all my miles last year for a total of 199. Great fun.

ks, nice run.

Euphoric, good luck with this latest setback. You're a toughy so you'll be fine, but what a pain...

I think I've got this heel thing under control, 6 miles of easy running today.  It's been cool lately, 24 degrees today.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Dec 14, 2007
    89. Nov 21, 2008 3:40 PM (in response to Rich in NH)

Good to hear the heel is coming around.  I've been skiing for two winters. Classic only.  Maybe skate this winter if I feel confident enough.  I've never counted my miles on skis, but will prolly start this year, as it looks to be the most yet.  However I still plan to put the running miles in....as training for Vancouver HM in May.

Today was an outdoor run just over 9k in just under an hour.  It was -5 when I started but only -2 and starting to snow when I ended.  Interesting thing was that HR was the same today, on an outdoor run at 10 min pace as my run was yesterday on a TM at 11 min pace.  TM was at 1%, which I've been told is equivalent to outdoor running.

DD decided to skip the 1500 meter trial.  She says her legs are trashed.  Next race is a 3000 meter on Nov 29.  

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...