Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14555 Views 127 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2008 7:34 AM by ksrunr RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Nov 22, 2008 6:11 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - November

Rich, that's really good news.  I think recovering from an injury makes the next one less devastating because you know with a little work and patience you'll be back on the road.  While I'm a little frustrated with this new kink, I already have a support system in place and have options to get that endorphin fix.  I have a pool running lesson this morning, but will go to the pool an hour earlier to get my planned work accomplished.  I'm going to be careful with wishes, but I envy your snow and xc skiing opportunities.

We have a new dog flying into Philadelphia tomorrow afternoon.  I'm giving serious thought to driving in early for some of  the marathon excitement.  It will be a chilly one this year!  I have an old husband flying in today and yes, I've had lots of opportunities to travel, but I've become a homebody after all the moving we've done during the last 29 years.  I think we've settled in a good place with lots of fun times to be had.  

Hope you all have interesting weekends and holidays planned.  You Canadians should take an extra one and celebrate with us.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    91. Nov 22, 2008 8:35 AM (in response to euphoric)

Helo Euphoric!  I cooked a turkey yesterday and will watch a lot of football this weekend!  Isn't that the essential Thanksgiving experience?:)

Same route as yesterday.  I thought I was running quite a bit faster as HR was 145, but when I finished I was actually 10 sec slower than yesterday.  Now.............what game should I watch first?

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    92. Nov 22, 2008 11:13 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Rich - good news about the heel!

Tigger - prolly a smart decision for your dd.

Euphoric - I understand about the old husband but are talking literally about a new dog or am I missing something.

Today ran my same 10 miles of hills.  Last week avg 7:09 and today 7:03.    Am finally feeling good about the 4 mile race next Thurs and the 1/2 on 12/20.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    93. Nov 23, 2008 7:45 AM (in response to fred-urie)

My wife and I ran a local fiveK this morning.  This is the one they have every month, right near my home and I like to use it to measure my progress.  I had no high expectations for improvement going into it and it worked out pretty much how I thought it would.  I ran 26:44 (8:37's), which is 8 seconds per mile faster than my last one. 

The reason I didn't have high expectations for today is that there is no significant change in my training.  I am running about 20 slow miles per week.  I expect to see changes when I can run longer and my weekly mileage grows.   It is funny that when I used to see people post on the running forums who would run 20 miles a week and then run a slow fiveK and complain about how they wish they were faster, I would think "What do you expect?"  So now I am running 20 miles a week with no speed work too, but I know not to expect to go any faster. 

I think I would see faster times at around 30 mpw, and/or if I did more speed.  But speed is out of the question for me at this stage as the effort needed for just a normal run is still pretty high.   I will also admit to being a bit nervous in the last mile.  Normally I would push through the 3rd mile of a fiveK, but I worry now and start questioning myself if I should run so hard.  I need to get over that, and I imagine I will if I ever am in a race where someone is near me and pushes me.  Today was very bad:  8:35, 8:27, 8:51! :50.  I must remember that I have plenty of time to get back in shape.  I am actually very lucky to be in the condition I'm in right now.   

I sure am proud of my wife though.  She ran 28:23 which was a big PR as she has never been under 30 minutes.  She ran the last tenth very strong.  She goes out a bit fast and we ran the first half mile together.  Still, I think she can get under 27 with a better start.   Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    94. Nov 23, 2008 10:24 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

I have the same problem trying to get DD to slow down at the start and not worry about keeping up with the other runners.  I keep telling her to run her race and let the toher girls go....that they will eventually come back to her....but she will have to learn that herself, just like you and I did Ribs.  My best 5k race (not my PR, but 7 seconds shy of it) was one where I ran the final 4k at 4:55 avg per k, after a 5:30 first k.  Final time was 25:07, and I was really happy that I did not slow down over the final 4k.  I have a couple of other races like that, including a HM where I started at 9:45 per mile and finished with a final 4 miles at 8:35.  You would think those examples would make DD change her ways but...........

Started out cloudy today and ended with heavy blowing snow.  I was on a long easy run, going 2 hrs and 32 min.  Going out felt great.  I turned around at 76 min feeling great.  It stayed that way until the final 5k when my right hip began to feel a bit wonky.  After finishing I stretched it really well and there is no further soreness.  After two weeks at 40 miles this was a breakthrough of sorts.  54 miles running plus about 5 or 6 walking.  Next week will be a bit of a cutback due to business in Vancouver, but should still be over 40.

Aug 14, 2007
    95. Nov 23, 2008 11:02 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Nice racing team Ribz   - I'd guess this time next year Ribs you won't be worrying about your heart.   Keep working so it's natural again.  congrats to the Saint.

Tigger - more snow?

Rest day for me.   Next week will be easy thru Thanksgiving and then 4 mile race.   then Fri and Saturday log some good miles as time for the 1/2 draws near.  My run yesterday was only 7:04 pace but it was in the hills and just had the feeling of strength and not using it all.  Hope this half comes together with that same strength and descent weather.  It could be frigid or scalding hot Dec. 20.   Could be raining, hailing, so we never know till it arrives.

cya tomorrow

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    96. Nov 24, 2008 6:28 AM (in response to ksrunr)

I tried to post Sunday's workout yesterday but kept getting the message this place was down for maintenance.

Not much of an opportunity to get in workout, but managed 20 minutes on a Nordic Track ski machine and 2 miles on the treadmill.

Spareribs, you're doing great.  And a big congrats. to your wife!

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    99. Nov 24, 2008 12:37 PM (in response to fred-urie)

How's this for humility? My boss is a pretty accomplished runner, placing 25/7231 in Philadelphia yesterday. I handed him lunch saying, "I made chilli for the top 25 finishers." He had no idea where he had placed and then asked if I knew his time. 2:35:35.

I'll do 1 hour of pool running this afternoon and I have a PT evaluation tomorrow.

Sounds like Mrs. Ribs deserves some flashy running gear for Christmas.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    100. Nov 24, 2008 2:19 PM (in response to euphoric)

That's an excellent time Euphoric, your boss ran really well. 

Monday

5 miles easy.  I warmed up on the Nordic ski machine for a few minutes before heading out, trying to give me heel every opportunity to stay happy...

Here's one I bet you've never heard.  My in-laws had a homing pigeon show up at their place.  After hanging around a few days and making no attempt to leave, my brother-in-law got the owner's ID from the bird's leg tag.  After a couple of unanswered phone calls, b-i-l left a threatening message and finally got hold of the owner.

The guy says he doesn't own the bird anymore and can't remember who he gave it to.  Being animal lovers, my in-laws are feeding the bird and giving him shelter, but it's obvious the owner has no use for a bird that can't find its way home, the jerk.

Anyway, it seems people race 'em, released all at once from the same site, I guess the object is to see who's bird gets home first...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

Aug 14, 2007
    101. Nov 25, 2008 7:51 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Good Tuesday morning.   Long sleeve shirt felt good running this morning.  Wish I had gloves at the start.   Then the sun came out and it was perfect.    Should get to mid 60's today.   Some fool 'bout ran over me this morning.   He never saw me until I was standing next to him in the middle of an intersection.   He didn't just pause at a stop sign; he rolled thru it to beat the traffic as I was crossing the street.  Looked right thru me.   6.3 leisurely miles this morning.  Running easy to race Thursday morning.

Jim - how's your injury coming along?  Rich - good to see you coming back little by little.

Dec 14, 2007
    102. Nov 25, 2008 1:56 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Things are busy here in Vancouver but last night I managed an hr on the TM with 40 min at 9:30 pace.  This morning I was set up for 90 min, but got a late start due to the TM's being full.  It was raining heavily outdoors so I had no choice but to wait.  I got 25 min into the workout when I inadvertently touched the emergency kill button.  So I quit the workout and will go back for an hour tonight.  It's still raining here, as per usual in this part of the world in the winter.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    103. Nov 25, 2008 2:21 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks a lot fred.  That means a lot to me.  Let me share with all of you why that is.

I believe that in order to recover well it is important to have a positive, highly optimistic vision of ultimate success.  For me this means keeping myself highly focused on running under 7 minutes a mile toward the end of 2009.  Nothing will deter me from this idea and all my work is done to achieve it.  In my corporate work I help executives think and act this way and I have been successful doing that.

I know that once I say, "Well, I might not be able to..." or "I don't think I can..." then I can't put the same kind of enthusiasm into it and I won't have a goal to work toward.  Nothing could be worse than not having any expectations or goals to shoot for.  Right around the time of my surgery a guy on Kick wrote me and said, "You may just have to get used to the fact that you're not going to be able to run 40 miles a week any more."  I was stunned by this comment, as I never thought about limiting myself.  And on Sunday at the race a guy who is older than I am who had had prostate surgery for cancer 4 years ago told me, "And one thing you just have to accept is that no  matter how hard you work, you will never be in the same condition you used to be in."  I said to him, "Well, you can choose to think that way, but I don't."

If next year I am not where I want to be, I will keep working at it, but it does no good to just draw an imaginary line of lesser competency and say I can't do something above this line.  As Henry Ford said, "You believe you can, or you believe you can't.  Either way, you're right."  

3.2 miles easy for me today.  Tomorrow is a day off because I plan to pace my wife in her TG Day Turkey Trot.  This is an 8-miler and since I haven't done more than 5 as of yet I am going to be cautious to see how long I want to run with her.  Spareribs

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    104. Nov 25, 2008 6:43 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Ribs, I believe you are going to keep improving and I think you are going about it the right way. You've been very consistent but have not been rushing things. A much better approach, imo, than going for the quick fix. Nice going on the 5k, btw. Jim

KS, After straining the same muscle again on Saturday I decided to pull out of the marathon. However, I've made a lot of progress since then and am reconsidering. Today was the closest to normal I've felt since the 30k earlier in the month. Good luck to you in your upcoming 4-miler and half marathon.

Hang in there Euphie. I have no doubt you will--and then some. You can't keep a good woman down.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...