Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14510 Views 127 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2008 7:34 AM by ksrunr RSS 1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next
fred-urie Legend 830 posts since
Dec 17, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2008 9:05 AM

50 Plus Training and Racing - November

Go Euphy.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Nov 1, 2008 10:11 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - November

Go everyone who is racing today!

Back home after two days in Vancouver.  No running for me for the last week.  Right leg is very sore from knee to ankle.  Not sure why, but I think it's related to those power walks on the TM.  I may try a short run on the track this morning.   Meanwhile.........

DD ran 18:31 (New PR) today on a 5k course in Hamilton, to take second

place overall. She was beaten by 7 seconds by a former alumnus and

captain of Guelph XC team, who has moved into post grad studies at

McMaster University.

DD's plan was to go out and hold 3:35 per

k for the race, but she followed the lead girl and they went thru the

first k in 3:31. Knowing she could not sustain that she slowed down and

let the lead girl go, allowing her to build up a lead of a hundred

meters or so. With about a k left she put on a final surge to close the

gap to a few meters, but with about a hundred meters left, the lead girl

did a shoulder check and realized she was in danger of losing her

place, so she put on a sprint to the finish to win by 7 seconds. Jen

feels with slightly better pacing she could have gone 5 to 10 seconds

faster. These last few races are good training to dial in on pace and

feeling for her goal race late this month.

Next up is the OTFA XC championships in two weeks, then the Canadian Jr XC championships on Nov 29.

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    3. Nov 1, 2008 10:39 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Tigger, your DD's doing great. With a little more experience, she'll be tough to beat.

I can't imagine running a marathon at 80+ years old, that's amazing.

Sunday, still taking it easy, so 4 miles of walking today. ks, it's my right achilles that's bothering. I doubt it's the crowned road, I tried running on the opposite side the other day with no better luck.

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    4. Nov 1, 2008 11:11 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Fred - I'd like to see your progression runs.  Tigger - congrats to your daughter.  Have fun at the Whiterock Ribs and Saint.  I have come to admit my bark was much worse than my bite today.  Just flat, tired, and sorry A$$ runner today.  18:41 is just 5 Secs off last years pr on same course but thought I had race in me.   Back to the drawing board.

Let me ask you guys a ?   Are you all stiff in the ankles in the mornings or is it just me?   It has to be the running because it eventually goes away when I take time off.   How do I eliminate the early morning stiffness at a nights rest?

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    5. Nov 1, 2008 4:18 PM (in response to ksrunr)

I decided to write tonight instead of stealing Bob's thunder tomorrow....

Rich, you have got to give that foot a rest and treat the inflammation.  I ignored my hamstring tendon last year and ended up off the road for 6 months with the start of a pelvic fracture.  Stay off that foot, ice it, and take ibuprofen.  I was told to take the ibuprofen for no longer than 2 weeks because it may impair healing after that time. 

Here I sit, healed, one year later.  I woke up with no real plan, but knew my anniversary 5K (2006) was being run this morning.  It was an impossible last year.  I have only worked on staying healthy with most of my time devoted to cycling and pool running.  Not registered, I left the house at about 0730 to run over and watch the race.  Cycling jerseys, my new running uniform, have pockets and I carry sunglasses, key, money, ID, etc. on my runs to wherever.  Arriving with 10 minutes to spare, I paid my fee and lined up deciding to see how it would go and, sorry Fred, just have fun.  All the young ones took off and I found my comfortable pace.  At about the 1K mark I started to pass people.  4K was the next marker I saw and remembered, "If you think you can't, you won't."  (Famous O-50 quote.)  I don't know my official time, but I think it may have been 2 minutes faster than 2006.  I placed 2nd in my age group today.   I then ran home.  Times will be posted on Monday.

I would have had little inclination to do this run today if I hadn't been reading all of your posts here.  I haven't written much lately, but I have been following Rib's recovery and all the successes of this great group of people, including all of the wives and children.  It's always sad to read about injuries, but the wisdom of this group always seems to contribute to a good outcome.

I can't wait to read Bob's good news tomorrow. 

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Nov 1, 2008 6:19 PM (in response to euphoric)

Whoopee for Euphie! I'll bet they'll have a hard time convincing you that cycling doesn't help your running . Very good news.

Tigger, that daughter of yours keeps gettin better and better. That's sub-6 pace she just ran (heck with that "per k" stuff). She should be primed for XC championships. Hope that leg of yours feels better real soon.

Dec 10, 2007
    7. Nov 2, 2008 3:58 PM (in response to Jim24315)

Euphoric, congratulations with your return to racing.

I'm taking it easy on my heel, either days off or walking.  Today I walked 4 miles with sticks.  One of the downsides of taking Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs, is they shut down production of the mucous that protects the lining of your stomach, so I'm not keen on taking the stuff if I can avoid it.  Right now it's rest and ice, that's it.

I watched the NYC marathon today on the computer.  Out of curiousity, I counted Paula Radcliffe's stride rate late in the race.  Her right foot hit the ground 24 times in 15 seconds for a stride rate of 192.

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    8. Nov 3, 2008 2:32 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Good Monday morning!  I was hoping there would be some info on Bob's race to start the day.  I hope you all know I was being facetious with my "stealing thunder" comment.

Rich, I know how difficult it is to rest and resist.  I hope this resolves quickly.

• Jacques Le Strappe Pro 203 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Nov 3, 2008 3:25 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Injuries seem to be a common complaint amongst older runners, or perhaps amongst all runners.  Rich, does that include advil?  I take advile fairly often. 

Euph, congrats on successfully finishing your race.

I woke up this morning and the leg felt pretty good.  I'm not sure what my problem is, but I think it may be nerve related.  I have a generalized soreness that comes from sitting in a chair, but not from laying on the sofa or a bed.  The soreness is located below my hip, along the right back part of my leg, and also occasionally below my knee along the right back part of the muscle.  After walking on it for a few minutes the soreness goes away and I feel fine.  It's coming on 3:30 AM here in Pacifica, and I will try running in an hour or so to see if it will hold up.  I have to do something as I'm already up two lbs from last week.

Dec 10, 2007
    10. Nov 3, 2008 4:07 AM (in response to Jacques Le Strappe)

Tigger, here's a common response when you search the net for NSAID warnings... http://www.aolhealth.com/drugs/ibuprofen?sem=1&ncid=AOLHTH00170000000024&otim=1225713137&spid=28171701

Apparently these medications aren't as harmless as once thought and as you can see, Advil's just another brand name for Ibuprofen. I take what I read on the net with a grain of salt, but still, these warnings are something everyone should be aware of.

Euph, each day my heel's a little less swollen, sore and red. Hopefully I'll be running again in a week or so. I appreciate your concern and you're right, sitting on the sidelines isn't fun at all...

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    11. Nov 3, 2008 4:58 AM (in response to Rich in NH)

Euphoric - the goddess of thunder - good race.

EZ boys on those nagging injuries.

5.75 ez this morning @ 7:50 pace and only 63 degrees.  Felt good.  Tomorrow some 800's at the track.

Congrats to the Saint on her half marathon time.  A good one!

Tell us about your marathon Bob. 

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Nov 3, 2008 3:03 PM (in response to ksrunr)

I am so clueless, I have been posting on the October thread for three days!  Couldn't figure out why no one posted.

I'm back in Chicago this week, nice weather here today, like Dallas.

Tigger, this is great to see her learning pace and tactics. Every one of these races is a lesson in itself, no matter where she finishes.  I hope she is sucking up this experience and seeing how valuable it is.

Euphie, I am so happy for you!  Thanks for writing that.  Let's see some more.  I saw a guy after the half marathon Sunday who ran a 1:26.  He told me it was on far fewer miles than he used to run and it was a 3 minute PR for him.  He said, "it's all that tri training I have been doing in the pool and on the bike."  Well, it's no wonder. You get to cross train, recover from all your runs and not get fatigued or hurt.  Good for him, and for you too.

That lady I posted about, the 80 year old?  She ran a 6:05 and won her AG.  They had her on the Today show.

I never really got sold on the ibuprofen stuff although I have taken it.  Back when I was running in the 70's and 80's we always took aspirin, and I have never seen a reason to change.  For some people it upsets their stomach but it doesn't bother me too much.  My right foot still has lingering soreness from last year.  It bothers me when I wake up in the morning or sit for a long time, but two minutes of walking around and it's fine.

Spareribs

1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...