Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1328 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2006 7:42 AM by Grizdog
bbongiovanni Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 1, 2006 7:46 PM

No headphones??!?!

I'm running the Carlsbad Half-Marathon in two weeks and I just read the "final instructions" for race day...I came across the no-no's section and it says headphones are prohibited!  I have heard this is the case for other races but I was sure to check in the race information ahead of time as music is a must-have for me when it comes to running.  It's not just something that gives me motivation...I have had asthma since I was young and when I take my focus away from my breathing (music blocks out the sound of my breathing) I am more relaxed and find it easier to maintain regular breaths.  Without music, the instant I hear even the slightest wheeze, I tense up and pretty much have to fight back an attack.  I know this all sounds weird but point being, music helps me.  Are they really strict on this no-headphones thing?  I assume they are...but what about hiding one earbud behind earwarmers or something?!  What about an iTunes with an iTrip that transmit music without headphones? It's two weeks till the race and I just now found this out! Needless to say I'm in a bit of a panic having trained the entire time with music...help!!

• Ruhorserider Amateur 58 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Jan 1, 2006 9:12 PM (in response to bbongiovanni)
    Re: No headphones??!?!

I think you have two options: talk to the race officials and explain, as you have here, that it is very important to you.  Your second option is to hide it from them, and hope they dont' see you.  I honestly, find this rule stupid and strange.

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jan 2, 2006 2:15 PM (in response to bbongiovanni)

it's a safety thing so that folks can be aware of what going on around them and behind them.  I've seen people running w/ headphones at most of the races I've done doubt they'll say anything BUT it would be nice if you told them about it.  if you go without the earphone you can always try talking to folks around ya. runners are a friendly bunch for the most part. have fun and good luck

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• Ruhorserider Amateur 58 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jan 5, 2006 12:30 PM (in response to bbongiovanni)

You should probably try running with one earphone now, so that it is not so strange when you have to do it during the race.

• jls8756 Amateur 7 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jan 6, 2006 7:21 AM (in response to bbongiovanni)

I just bought a neat gadget from the Discovery (as in the Discovery Channel) store.  It is a very small FM radio that fits over the back of your ear with an ear piece.  It looks like an old style hearing aid.  It is very light and comfortable to wear.  It was designed for runners, with the specific purpose of having one ear "open" to hear traffic, etc.  The reception is excellent.  The brand name is LobeMan and their web site is LobeMan.com

the best part is it only cost about $15.00

• Lora99 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Jan 9, 2006 8:53 AM (in response to bbongiovanni)

I too am running the Carlsbad Marathon and was mortified when I read the NO HEADPHONES rule, having trained all along w/ my Tunes!  So, my gameplan is to wear my iPOD anyways, and if anyone says anything to me I will yank out an ear bud (or even 2 depending on how crazy they get) -- but I will have the volume set as high as possible so I can still hear it!  I guess another benefit of running bras is you can stash you headphones up by your shoulders!

GOOD LUCK ON SUNDAY!

• Grizdog Pro 177 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jan 12, 2006 7:42 AM (in response to bbongiovanni)

I once seen a person with sunglasses with builded in mp3 player by Oasis.  very sneaky!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...