Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1349 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2008 1:31 PM by lenzlaw
luca bogoni Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 7, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 7, 2008 6:47 AM

Looking for smaller GPS solutions for a present

Hello,

I have a Garmin 205 and like it quite a bit. I have been wanting to get something similar as a present for my wife. The Garmin itself is too bulky since she has a very minute wrist. I have been looking for a solution that might have a watch like display that allows her to track the information and the actual antenna piece or the "bulky" portion of the GPS communication as a separate device that she could wear, for instance, on her belt or elsewhere.

I really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Luca

• cpa0217 Pro 79 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    1. Nov 7, 2008 10:25 AM (in response to luca bogoni)
    Re: Looking for smaller GPS solutions for a present

I have very tiny wrists.  The problem I found with the smaller GPS devices is that because they are smaller, so are their displays.  I like to be able to glance down during a run to see how I'm doing & that doesn't work well with a tiny display.  As you know, the Garmin has big, easy to read numbers & can give you a lot of important info on one screen.  The one thing I didn't like about my Garmin (I have the 205 also), was that it was banging against my wrist bone & making it sore because it's so big & my wrist is so small.  Just in case you aren't able to find something different that will work for you wife, I'll let you know what I did to solve this problem.  I wear a "sweat band" on my wrist under my Garmin.  It no longer moves around, so my wrist isn't sore anymore.  Plus, the sweat band material feels better than the plastic against my skin.

• Traxee Amateur 25 posts since
    Nov 9, 2008
    3. Nov 9, 2008 1:13 PM (in response to cpa0217)

I LOVE this idea...so ingenious.  I too have been wanting a true (readable) GPS - but they just don't make them to fit smaller wrists.  I want to know what rock Garmin's product managers are hiding under?  HELLOOOO!  Women runners now comprise 51% of the running population.  Can we get a GPS system that fits us?  I the meantime, I'm going to try your method.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Nov 9, 2008 1:31 PM (in response to Traxee)

I think there's a couple limits on size: the electronics, including battery and antenna; and the display. Everyone wants everything displayed in an easily readable size but they want the watch small. Size becomes a real compromise. The 405 comes closer to a traditional watch in size, but it's expensive and the heart rate monitor is extra.

The band is a different story and should be more adjustable perhaps.  I don't know if it's easy to replace.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...