Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5042 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2008 5:10 PM by fitmom-5 RSS
suzyq61 Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 10, 2008 7:11 AM

My knee starts to hurt towards the end of a run and then for a few days after that.  Do I need to stop running?

My knee hurts towards the end of a run and sometimes a few days after even though I wear a brace.

• MaryAliceVarga Amateur 27 posts since
    Oct 11, 2008

Hey there!

I am having the same problem! I ran a 10 mile race yesterday and my left knee is pretty sore. My husband, who is an old football player who busted his knees up, looked at them and said the left was definately swollen and that it could be many things- swollen muscle from overuse, torn something, or simply muscle aggitation from not keeping my muscles properly warmed yesterday. Plus I have major foot problems in the process of being corrected. He's no doctor but he does have a point- it could be anything! How long does yours hurt for? Mine never hurts long enough for me to go to a doctor or anything but if yours is getting bad or is steadily reoccuring, have you thought about talking with your doctor?

Keep us posted!

Mary Alice

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

The question is where does it hurt? If it hurts behind the kneecap it is most likely runners knee, aka patellofemoral pain syndrome (the latest term). If on the lateral (outside) side of the knee, iliotibial band syndrome. These are the two most common injuries. Check your shoes - they may be old/worn out/used up, or they may be the wrong shoe for your gait. Here are a couple web sites to check.

Len

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml

http://www.ubsportsmed.buffalo.edu/education/patfem.html

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/pain-management/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100204925&GT1=31035

Len

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Welcome to active.com!  Here is a link you may find helpful:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml

Also, you should listen to your body and if you are having pain you may need to back off for a bit.  See if you can find a non-impact form of cross-training (like swimming, elliptical training, or biking) to help you maintain fitness while your knee heals.  I hope this helps.  Let us know if you have any more questions or comments.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

The web pages posted have symptoms listed that will help you narrow it down.  Plus the doctor will know how to examine the joint to determine the problem, even if it does not seem to be hurting at the time.  The coolrunning site I posted gives you a way to test for runners knee, for example.

Len

Len

• shomeurmail@yahoo.com Amateur 24 posts since
    Nov 10, 2008

This is just amazing.  I also have the same symptoms after my 11 mile run yesterday.  The strange thing is, my right limb (knee and ankle) were the ones giving me a very slight problem towards the end of the run..I iced both my right knee and ankle when I got home after getting this advice from a friend of mine but didn't really do much with the left knee or ankle at all.

Towards the end of yesterday, I start feeling a bit of discomfort coming from the inner part of the left knee which has lessen a lot today.  I guess I should've also iced it along with the right leg.  All I know is that I need to get better arch support for my right foot because of my high arch on this foot.  The left limb has never given me any problems until after yesterday's run.

I'm pretty new to jogging, but becoming serious with it this past 8 weeks has made me run distances I used to just always dream of..

I've been training on my own and the longer distances are starting to scare and intimidate me.  

Evangeline B. Paxton
  • Traxee Amateur 25 posts since
    Nov 9, 2008

Hello everyone!

I am not a new runner, but I do know a little something about this.  In 15+ years, I have only been injured twice; once about 9 years ago with Chrondomalacia (runners knee) and now, with ITB (illiotibial band syndrome).

One of the things that sometimes happens to new runners (and "old" ones too!) is that they increase their mileage too rapidly, which frequently results in injury.  It's a good idea to increase your mileage no more than 10% over the previous week.  Doing otherwise really invites injury and all kinds of problems.  It's so easy when you first start running to get thrilled with the distances you can accomplish, but it's much better to work a solid training program and incorporate distance increases over time...and don't forget the importance of rest days!

You should never be in pain when you run.  One of the things you learn over time is to understand the difference between soreness after a particularly hard workout and real injury.  As someone already said, injury can happen for a lot of reasons - worn out/incorrect shoes, improper gait/stride, poor form,running on canted roads, etc.  If you are injured, employ RICE (Rest {no running}, Ice, Compression and Elevation).  If, after several days, you don't see significant improvement, it's time to see a doctor.  Try to find yourself someone who specializes in running or sports related injury.  It's been my experience that with a lot of "regular" doctors, the prescription is "Stop Running," and we all know that that is NOT an option!

Our bodies are amazing machines, and it's incredible what they can do.  Learn to read the signs.  Repetitive, severe soreness in the same place is a clue that something is amiss. Figuring out what the clues mean (through a form analysis by a professional or a different kind of shoe) can make a huge difference!  Take it from someone who should have known better!

By the way, I had to snicker when you mentioned being kind of afraid of running distance.  When I sustained my injury I was 3+ miles away from my car with no help in site.  I had to hobble that 3 miles in pain with my knee completely locked!  Oh man, it would have been so much better to have taken off a few days after that half marathon!

Happy running!

• sarabiz Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008

You've gotten some really great advice, so I think all I can add is to tell you what I do when my knees start to hurt.

If my knee is swollen, I don't run.  If I ever need to change my gait for any kind of injury, I'll stop running.  If something has been hurting me or I'm starting up again after something has been swollen, then I take an ice bath after my run.  This may be fairly conservative, but after injuring my back (pinched nerve), I've been really careful about preventing injuries.  I was stupid and ran though the pain,  and I couldn't even walk without a limp for three weeks, and it was a few months before I could start running again.

I also find that running with a brace actually changes my gait and increases the chances of injuring myself, but that could just be me.  I have a couple of pairs of compression tights that I wear during the winter, and I find those really help.

• Traxee Amateur 25 posts since
    Nov 9, 2008

That is a really interesting point about the brace changing your gait, and one that I hadn't thought about.  Sounds like it's something to be avoided if possible.  Thanks!

• fitmom-5 Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 18, 2008

Traxee,

I know its been a few weeks sense your post but I need some knee advice. It sounds like you have been through some Knee issues.  I need to know what does runners knee feel like.?????  All I have read is that there is pain around the kneecap. But, what kind of pain??  I have a sharp pain right on top of my kneecap everytime I take a step and sometimes under the kneecap. I dont know what is causing this and it just started hurting out of the blue.  Some swelling under the kneecap.  Very frustrating because I'm not running like I use too. Sounds like you are still running so does runner knee go away with treatment.  Thanks AZ RUN

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...