Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

10418 Views 43 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2008 11:29 AM by snowcat2 1 2 3 Previous Next
ging1 Amateur 14 posts since
Nov 11, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 12, 2008 5:41 AM

First Time Runners - Post Your Info Here

Hi - I have been reading through the other posts for new runners to try to find some people that I have some things in common with but thought I'd also try starting a new post here.  I'd like to find some people who are starting a running program for the first time so that we can support each other.  I've tried running programs before but NEVER been successful for one reason or the other.  Here's what I'd like to know.

1. What is your overall goal?

2. What training program are you using?

3. How many times per week are you running/walking?

4. Do you train on non-running days? If so, what do you do?

5. Running outside or inside?

6. How are you tracking your progress?

Here's my answers

1. Run a 10K with my two girlfriends (from CA and NC - I live in Chicago)

2. Some random Couch to 10K program I found on Sparkpeople

3. 3 (I'm about to do number 2 in a few minutes)

4. I have not yet but think I'm going to at least 2 days with weights but hoping to get ideas here from your responses.

5. I'm running inside on a treadmill right now.  I know its not the same but it's my only viable option with my work hours.

6. I'm tracking my progress on coolrunning/active.com

Thanks in advance for all your responses! 

my blogs la' Matriarch, My Skinny Garden, Prevention.com

• yellowkayak Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 10, 2008
    1. Nov 12, 2008 6:13 AM (in response to ging1)
    Re: First Time Runners - Post Your Info Here

I just registered for the Disney Princess 1/2.  I am a fast walker and maintain a pace of a 15 minute mile.  I hope that improves before the race.

I plan to do some walking/jogging on a daily basis.  I use an elipical indoors.  Weekends I plan to walk for distance and time.  Also hit the bike trails for some cross training.  Just rode from D.C to Pittsburgh on the bike trail (335 miles) and that made me look for another physical challenge.  My sister-in-law (an everyday walker with a 5K accomplished) and my sister are joining me.  We just hope to finish and have fun and meet some new people.

• MattAdamsDenver Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    2. Nov 12, 2008 9:30 AM (in response to ging1)

I'm trying for the ColderBoulder, which is a 5K on December 7. I haven't run more than a quarter since junior high.

1) My goal right now is to be able to run the whole 5K on the 7th and the 10K in May.  We'll see.

2) My training program I'm making up with a freind who's a distance runner. Since I started from nothing, and I'm severely overweight, it's been baby steps. I started a month ago by running 30 seconds and then walking 5 minutes. As of last night I'm  running 2 minutes and walking 2 minutes for 4 miles every other day, I run the first quarter mile of each mile. The pace is just under 14 minutes a mile. My goal is 11.5, but right now I'm just trying to be able to at least jog the distance.

3) I'm doing the "run" every other night.

4) On my off days I do a recumbant bike for 52 minutes. Every fifth day I take a day off.

5) I'm running on a treadmill now. I've got twin one-year-old boys, so my only time to workout out is after they and my daughter go to sleep at about 10 pm. Going to start going outside before much longer, but I'm kind of embarrased about it. 

6) I'm tracking my progress by writing to my "coach" when I'm done with my workout, so I've got some accountability. Would have quite  a long time ago without her. 

You sound like you're doing great, by the way. Your 10K will be a cakewalk for you !!!!!

• PaulMI Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 19, 2008
    4. Nov 13, 2008 10:58 AM (in response to ging1)

I'm training for the ING half marathon in Miami in January, it will be my second one.  I strated running about 2 years ago, just to get in shape, as I was  inactive for way to long :).  Some how, some way I got hooked.  I always thought running was crazy....it just didnt make any sense to me.  To this day I am not sure I undstand why people do it, all I can say is that I enjoy it.  I think back when I first started and only running a mile at a time, I thought it would take forever.  Now I have to force myself not to run on my rest days.  To answer your questions:

1.  My goal is to run a marathon in 09.

2.  I use the training programs of the Runners world web site.

3.  I usually run 4 -5 times per week.

4.  I do trrain on non-running days, I usually use wieghts and ride the bike.

5.  I prfer running outside, but living in Michigan forces me inside during the winter.  Must say staying motivated is much harder on that treadmill.  Its not the same as running outside, so I put it on a 1% incline.

6.  I track my progress with a written running log.

• JasonRamage Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 28, 2008
    5. Nov 13, 2008 12:24 PM (in response to PaulMI)

I've been weight training for about two years, and just now got into running (my coworkers are all doing it).  Running my first 5K on the 23rd of this month.  I'm shooting for under 27 minutes (my treadmill time yesterday was 27'44").  Doing a Gasparilla 5K in February, then hoping to move up to a 10K, but I figure I have to lower my expectations for time; no way will I hold a 9 minute pace for 10 kms!  And I found what a difference the right pair of running shoes can make.

I don't actually like running, but I like competition!

JR

Jason Ramage
  • ladevotchka Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 13, 2008
    6. Nov 13, 2008 2:43 PM (in response to ging1)

I'm sort of a newbie - i started running last spring but stopped b/c i was traveling all summer and now am trying to get back into it.

1. What is your overall goal? I would at least like to be able to run continuously for 30 minutes and maybe try a 5k race.  I'm trying to build up my endurance. Once i do that, then i want to work on speed.

2. What training program are you using? I'm using the couch to 5k program and i'm now starting week 3. I'm really loving it so far.

3. How many times per week are you running/walking? I run every other day.

4. Do you train on non-running days? If so, what do you do?  I try to, but haven't been as consistent with this as i'd like.  I do pilates usually or circuit weight training (though i prefer to lift weights after my runs).  I may start swimming or biking (i live in a very bike-friendly city).

5. Running outside or inside?  During the week, i run on the treadmill, but the weather has gotten nice and cool (i live in the desert); so to avoid the weekend gym crowds, i run outside around my local park and i'm actually finding that easier than the treadmill (though my knees don't like it as much hahaha).

6. How are you tracking your progress? I use a nike+ ipod that uploads my data onto the nike website.

• karmasnow Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 28, 2008
    7. Nov 13, 2008 4:01 PM (in response to ging1)

ooo, a pseudo-running survey. i'm in!

1. What is your overall goal? well.. i have the lofty aspiration of qualifying for boston 2010.  if i fail, and i'm starting to think i might, i would like to SOMEDAY qualify for the boston marathon.  regardless, i have no doubt that i CAN run a marathon, but whether or not i can run a marathon in 3:40:00.. we'll see. but overall.. i'm not sure i have a goal beyond running a marathon. i just love running. lol, so i guess my goal is to not hurt myself so that i CAN keep running!

2. What training program are you using? i'm not. every time i read an article about a training program, or a better way to run (recently i read about progression runs and went home to my boyfriend and told him about this and then said, "but i already DO THAT.  it seems like common sense to me."), i discover that something i'm already doing has a name. which is kind of cool, as i really like labeling stuff i do. i just.. run. every couple weeks or so, i up my daily runs, and if i'm lazy, i stick to daily five mile runs with hills with a long run or two sprinkled in, and a day (maybe two) of running two or four miles on flat ground.

3. How many times per week are you running/walking? i have a serious issue with compulsive exercise. i run every single day until something hurts so much i KNOW i have to take a day off (which kills me. i'm SUCH an uber-***** on those days) or risk serious injury to my person. even then, i usually wind up running 1-2 super slow, flat, easy miles with my dog. i try to make myself take saturdays off, but almost always come up with a reason why "two miles is ok..". right now, i'm averaging one day off every two weeks, and that's only because a family member enjoys coming to the park with me and my doggie, pablo, and i won't run when they come with me.

4. Do you train on non-running days? If so, what do you do? even on running days, i do 125 or 150 push-ups. i also alternate with about three days of 1000 crunches and three days of 600 crunches.  additionally, i jump rope. i thought the jump rope would be easy, and it continuously kicks my ***. but hey, it burns an insane amount of calories, which rocks my socks. i'm considering taking up bike riding, but i really, really, really hate bicycling. weight training has been suggested, so i might invest in some cheap weights. and i'd love to get back into horseback riding, too, but it is far too expensive where i live.

5. Running outside or inside? outside! outside only! and i am a pavement only kind of girl. i do not trail run. i do not run on grass. i like to run smack in the middle of the road, where it's nice and flat. lucky for me, i live in a small town! lol.

6. How are you tracking your progress? i'm not, really. i keep track of personal bests for my daily five mile run and my ten mile runs, but other than that.. i write my times on the back of my bibs from races.

hooray survey!

insanity without ambition is like a machine gun without bullets.
  • JasonRamage Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 28, 2008
    8. Nov 13, 2008 6:02 PM (in response to ging1)

I didn't actually notice the questions before when I posted, so I'll do that now:

What is your overall goal?

My immediate goal is to outrun my boss who has taken up running alongside a couple of my colleagues.  A few of us are running a 5K next weekend, and I'd love to beat him!  Other than that, I just want to burn off body fat.  I have been weight training for a while now and my body fat is <8%, but there's this little bit around my waist I can't seem to get rid of!

What training program are you using?

I have been getting on a treadmill, setting the pace I want to finish the 5K in and then running until I hit 5K.  I started with a 10 minute pace then increased to 9'13" or so (6.5 setting on the treadmill).  I doubt I'll improve much between now and the 23rd (day of the race).  Other than, no formal training regimen.

How many times per week are you running/walking?

I try to run every other day; I've heard you shouldn't run every single day, which is fine with me.  I don't particularly enjoy running yet.

Do you train on non-running days? If so, what do you do?

I'm at the Y doing weight training  most days.

Running outside or inside?

I like the treadmill because I can see my actual pace.  I used to live in North Carolina and there was a city park with a running track made from recycled rubber tires; that was very comfortable to run on.  Haven't found any of those down here in Clearwater, Florida though. 

How are you tracking your progress?

I just run on the treadmill and try to slowly increase my rate until I hit a good pace that I can sustain for 5K.

Jason Ramage
  • MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    9. Nov 14, 2008 9:35 AM (in response to ging1)

Hello

I have been running for a while, but up until recently I had no specific goal other than to stay in shape.

1. What is your overall goal?   To stay in shape, improve my times, and share experiences with other runners.

2. What training program are you using?   Runners World and Nike++

3. How many times per week are you running/walking?   Between 4 and 5.

4. Do you train on non-running days? If so, what do you do?  I usually weight train M-F, with light cross training mixed in on my off running days.

5. Running outside or inside?  I prefer outside, I am glad Virginia supports outside running almost year round.

6. How are you tracking your progress?  Nike+

Mike

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    11. Nov 15, 2008 10:55 AM (in response to ging1)

Sounds like you are on track with your plan.  I would not be overly concerned with your speed.  You might want to have your knees looked at just to make sure there is not a major problem.  If you are not already, I would suggest running on your treadmill with a slight incline, I believe 1% should be good for starters. 

Bottom line - Stay with your plan.  You will be amazed at the results.  Good Luck!

Mike

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• AWhite79 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 17, 2008
    12. Nov 17, 2008 10:00 PM (in response to ging1)

Hi! I've only recently started running. After complaining at work about not being able to lose any weight, a coworker suggested that I train for a 5k that she was prepping for on December 20th. Like me, she's a beginner. I've always exercised, but it's been very spurratic, and I prefer weight training to cardio. When I was younger, I was competitive in track, but I was a sprinter, so to me, a mile is "long-distance" We actually just found out about another local 5k taking place on Thanksgiving Day, that I think we may participate in as well. We're not quite ready yet, but we think it might be a way to gauge our progress thus far.

1. What is your overall goal? - To be able to run the entire 5k on 12/20 without walking at all. Afterwards, I hope to participate in a couple more 5k's & focus on improving my time during Spring 2009. Then, I would like to move on to a 10k. Ideally, this will help me shed these troublesome 10 pounds I've been toting around these last couple years. They seem permanently affixed to my sides & back!X-(# I'm very task-oriented, so date-driven, event-specific goals seem to be working for me better than some vague hope to be built like Ms. Fitness USA...

2. What training program are you using? -My coworker & I are both following the Couch to 5k plan & using Robert Ullrey's podcasts from itunes, and loving it! I start Day 1 of Week 5 tomorrow. I've found that I'm becoming quite addicted, and will not miss my training for anything. I ran at about 10:00 Friday night in the pouring rain - quite invigorating!

3. How many times per week are you running/walking? - I strive for every other day, but at least 3 days per week

4. Do you train on non-running days? If so, what do you do? - I try to do some strength training at home - push ups, crunches, dumbbell work, etc.

5. Running outside or inside? - Outside - I started on the treadmill, but I was worried about doing all the training on the treadmill and then getting to the actual race & not being able to do it. Running outside seems much more difficult for me, so I've done all my training outside (on the road) for the last 3 weeks.

6. How are you tracking your progress? I guess I'm not really tracking it at all. I've been following the interval schedule for the Couch to 5k religiously, and I have the distances marked in my neighborhood, so I know how far I'm getting in the time allotted. I try to make sure that I get a little farther each day. This week, the running intervals get a little longer, so I'm going to switch my focus to distance rather than time. The Couch to 5k shoots for a 10 min mile, and I'm not running at that pace yet, so if I can only run for 30 min, then I'm afraid I'll fall short at the race. - My brother is in the Army, and is coming home for Christmas. He supposedly has some excruciating boot camp training exercises that will really help my time. Part of my motivation is making sure I'm not too embarrassed when he tries to work with me

Good luck!

Amanda

• I_like_Running Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 12, 2008
    13. Nov 18, 2008 8:56 AM (in response to ging1)
    1. What is your overall goal? To run half marathon next year.

2. What training program are you using? http://halhigdon.com/ -- half marathon for beginners

3. How many times per week are you running/walking? Atleast 5 days a week. On rest day do stretching/strength exercise.

4. Do you train on non-running days? If so, what do you do? Yes, stretching/strength exercise

5. Running outside or inside? Inside.. It is snowy and cold

6. How are you tracking your progress? Active.com - - you can schedule a workout beforehand.. later mark it complete.This rocks !!

• nuclearsquirrel Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 19, 2008
    14. Nov 19, 2008 7:51 AM (in response to ging1)
    1. What is your overall goal? to be able to walk/jog a 5k

1. What training program are you using? the 'spark your way to 5k' training at Sparkpeople.com

1. How many times per week are you running/walking? every other day, and walking on days that I dont try to jog/run

1. Do you train on non-running days? If so, what do you do? walking the treeline several times.  a little over 1/4 mile for each treeline completed.

1. Running outside or inside?outside

1. How are you tracking your progress? Not really tracking progress - just trying to be able to get past 1 minute of running after 4 minutes of walking.  Trying to get that breathing thing down to a mangageable level after the 1 minute.

My husband got the whole family started on running.  He just finished his first half, (San Antonio) and is going to Ft. Worth for the Cowtown.  My daughter, 15, is planning on running the 5k at Cowtown, and maybe!! I can get in there to walk/jog the 5k in February. 

Diane

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...