Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13068 Views 56 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2009 1:01 AM by runner3041 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • pantherfan018 Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 24, 2008 7:50 AM (in response to ryan_bloom29)
    Re: 26.2 CAR STICKERS

I would. Completeing a marathon is huge accoplishment most people cant do. Im looking to run a marathon soon and i would deffinatly put a sticker on my car.

"What distinguishes those of us at the starting line from those of us on the couch is that we learn through running to take what the days gives us, what our body will allow us, and what our will can tolerate."

- John Bingham, running writer and speaker

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    31. Dec 24, 2008 8:54 AM (in response to DaveVause)
    DaveVause wrote:

A couple of years ago, I was lost...the vehicle in front of me had an oval 26.2 sticker .. I followed it thinking the odds were pretty good that such an unusual sticker would lead me to the event. In addition to following the stickers, I also look for people in cars dressed as runners to find the event, parking, etc.

I follow the stickers too, and I look for people in cars who look like runners.  Everyone drives around kind of slowly, looking for expos, entrances, and parking lots.

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    32. Dec 25, 2008 3:25 AM (in response to Stevemustangred)

Every once in a while, I get asked if my 26.2 is a psalm.  I say "no".

• btraber Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 1, 2008
    33. Dec 25, 2008 5:28 PM (in response to ryan_bloom29)

I don't have one that says 26.2 or 13.1, but I have one that says "Kick Assphalt" and one that says "Sorry I've got to run". I have the Kick Assphalt shirt too and I always get compliments when  wear it.

• jwannarun Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    35. Jan 17, 2009 7:32 PM (in response to ryan_bloom29)

I have run several 5k's and plan on the 10k's this year, but no marathons yet. When I see a 26.2 sticker, I smile and check out the driver. It's all respect. And I think the 5k with the stars around it, denoting participation count is a great idea!

Endure, learn, apply.

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    36. Jan 18, 2009 4:56 AM (in response to jwannarun)

I think it's a stupid idea. Driving a car is diametrically-opposed to running. Why should I respect a bumper sticker of any sort when this gas guzzling, carcinogenic-belching auto is poisoning me because of the driver's laziness? You really want to make a statement worthy of respect? Find more efficient means of transportation: One that does not poison my world. 50% of the cars in metropolitan areas could be eliminated if people were not lazy. Maybe 10-20% out in the country.

Sell your car and purchase a high-quality bicycle.

Paul

• jwannarun Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 21, 2008
    37. Jan 18, 2009 1:20 PM (in response to ryan_bloom29)

While I agree with Imgellin's thoughts that there are a lot of lazy people out there that should participate in more "green" means to get around town, this discussion was merely questioning the sticker itself. I think that Imgellin is judging everyone who drives a vehicle to be lazy, stupid, and ignorant, and I would implore this person to consider this example: I live 25 miles from the town I work, drop off two kids to daycare on the way, live in the Southwest desert where the temps reach 120 in the summer, and we have no bus system. So I drive a car. And I think the 26.2 sticker is still cool. And my respect for the driver of that vehicle stems from the fact that they ran a marathon, not that they chose to drive a gas-guzzler.

Endure, learn, apply.

• running2009 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    38. Jan 19, 2009 7:14 AM (in response to megjmcc)

Hi Meg,

I see you are going to run your first 13.1. THAT IS SO AWESOME. You should be very proud of yourself for being so dedicated to running and being fit. Congradulations

Jen

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    39. Jan 19, 2009 7:45 AM (in response to jwannarun)

So I was driving to work in my admitted '97 German-made gas guzzler one wintery morning when wind chills were hovering in negative numbers and this bright VW Bug pulls up next to me on the highway.  A pretty young woman grins at me and waves, then passes me.  At 53, my male mind thinks....."hey, old man, you still have it".

Then, I see on her rear window an MCM 26.2 sticker identical to the one on my back window....next to a Ironman Tri sticker.

I smile......and respect her athletic achievements.

• Barry11 Legend 332 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    40. Jan 19, 2009 2:41 PM (in response to LMB22)

Don't leave out 2 other important distances:  140.6 and 70.3.  I'd prefer the stickers that go on the inside of the window rather than the outside.  "2.4 - 112 - 26.2" and "1.2 - 56 - 13.1" would also be great, but could be to long.

• lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
    Sep 30, 2008
    41. Jan 22, 2009 4:26 AM (in response to LMB22)

I think that would be a great idea.  Let me know if you start selling those stickers..

Mike on LI

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• Imgellin Legend 498 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    43. Jan 23, 2009 10:00 AM (in response to ryan_bloom29)

It needed to be said.

Paul

• mishka32 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    44. Jan 23, 2009 10:15 AM (in response to mtreed)

I was prepped to run the JFK 50 but got injured.  But when I did day dream about accomplishing that goal I had the idea to take a sharpie to my 26.2 cross it out and write 50 on it!  Maybe next year.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...