Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2459 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2008 5:45 AM by mompt
mompt Rookie 1 posts since
Nov 14, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2008 5:45 AM

A solution to leaking when you run???

There is a new solution out there that has worked for me!  I have to share this because there are so many women out there that have occasional urine leakage and they are just living with it!  A quick background - I am a mother of 3 and a triathlete, runner, hiker, etc.  My excitement to get back to running following my 1st delivery was sidelined by weak pelvic floor muscles. The stretching during 9 months of pregnancy and further stretching and tearing of the muscles of the pelvic floor during delivery can cause your muscles to shut down or work less efficiently. My pelvic floor just didn't bounce back, giving me the sensation that the "bottom might fall out" when I attempted to get back to my workouts following medical clearance at 6 weeks.  I was not willing to settle for the inconvenience of occasionally wetting my pants and not feeling like my old self.  So my research began.  There are 3 very important things I found that I must share:

1. You are not alone. Over 20 million women experience symptoms of incontinence.

2. It isn't a structural change of our bodies, it's a MUSCULAR change. That means you can strengthen it with appropriate exercise, so you shouldn't accept the changes to your body when you have the ability to take back control.

3. You simply have to do more than Kegels to strengthen your pelvic floor muscles. Your pelvic floor is made up of several different muscles interwoven in different directions. The pelvic floor itself not only tightens as if to stop the flow of urine, but it also elevates, drawing up toward our belly button, giving better support to our bowel, bladder, and uterus. These two distinct actions of our pelvic floor muscles, plus the coordinated effort of our lower abdominals, our deep hip rotators, and our lower back muscles, all can lead women back to symptom free running.

So stop laughing about it with your friends and stop accepting it as a natural process of aging or having kids and educate yourself on how you can take control.  There are a lot of great resources on the internet (hab-it.com is one).  If anyone else is having these symptoms, lets talk about it.  For every woman that is willing to talk about it there are 5 with symptoms that are too embarassed.  There really is a solution and its just knowing the right exercises!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...