Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

6719 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2009 2:58 PM by High Performance Fitness
Brett Kahnert Rookie 3 posts since
Nov 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2008 3:48 PM

Heart Rate

I have a low resting heart rate, but when I run (which is 5-6 times a week) my heart rate exceeds the limits on my Polar heart rate monitor.  I can't seem to run slow enough to stay within the limits (143-159 or so) for more than 30% or my run.  What's going on?

• dbrown1177 Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 25, 2008
    1. Dec 9, 2008 6:58 AM (in response to Brett Kahnert)
    Re: Heart Rate

What is your resting heart rate (RHR)? how and when do you measure it?

• dbrown1177 Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 25, 2008
    3. Dec 10, 2008 7:27 AM (in response to Brett Kahnert)

How do you feel when exercising? do you feel like you are working out too hard? I personally do not monitor my HR I go by how I feel.

basically like this:

Can I talk easily? speak complete sentences? - If yes, i am going too easy.

Can I talk in short bursts (a few words a a time) - In zone

Hardly talk - too hard - only keep up for short times while doing speedwork

• GerryM715 Amateur 29 posts since
    Jan 7, 2009
    5. Jan 20, 2009 10:47 AM (in response to Brett Kahnert)

Are you using a treadmill??  Before I got a HRM I was only able to run 8-15minutes, but I was running at an 8min/mil pace.  I couldnt imagine going much slower than I was, I felt like it would be useless, like i was not even working out.

I stuck with it though, and with the help of a treadmill keeping me at that target pace and HR, you become much more comfortable running at slow speeds.  First time I tried longer range running with my HRM I doubled my 'comfortable' running distance.  I was once running a mile, at an 8min pace, now I run 2.5miles at a 10min pace.

So from my experience (everyones diff obviously), just stick with it, the speeds may seem awkward at first if your used to running faster, but you will burn way more calories and feel a whole lot better if you can just set that treadmill and forget about it.

• Eco13 Expert 56 posts since
    Feb 18, 2008
    6. Jan 20, 2009 1:36 PM (in response to Brett Kahnert)

Brett, I have a similar problem, except that my HR is almost ALWAYS too high whether I'm resting or exercising (I take medication to slow it down). The various HR calculator are therefore of limited value to me since I'm usually over the "limits." I agree with run4fun and I just go by how I feel. I do wear a HRM but that's more for keeping an eye on my HR to make sure it doesn't get TOO high. I once participated in a pretty vigorous workout and my HR got up to 203. That was a little too scary for me, so now I keep a better eye on it.

run4fun, I also thank you for the Benson chart. It will come in very handy.

• Ben Nessmith Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 5, 2009
    7. Mar 10, 2009 6:09 PM (in response to Eco13)

just my 2 cents.  I am new to endurance racing and had never monitored my hr before.  However, I was scared to death when I realized it stayed between 175-195 bpm during almost all of my runs and bikes.  My brother is a cardiologist and I called him in a panic.  I am not suggesting this advice is for everyone - but his advise was do not worry about it if you are breathing ok and having no pain or discomfort.  He even laughed and said he gets this question alot.  I only monitor my rate now to not overexert at the start of my runs.  If I stayed at 70% of my max HR I would walk all of my triathalons.

• cswere Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 29, 2008
    8. Apr 30, 2009 11:45 AM (in response to Brett Kahnert)

I find that going by "Perceived Exertion" works pretty well for me. I do use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor when I train, but not all the time.  When I do use my heart rate monitor I end up following it too closely, and that can be a distraction to actaully having a good work out. Lately my heart rate has been higher than I'd like, so I just go by how i feel.  If I feel good and I know my HR is a litle higher than it should be, I just keep going and not worry about it.

• High Performance Fitness Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 11, 2008
    9. May 6, 2009 2:58 PM (in response to Brett Kahnert)

I love RPE, especially for fit or experienced runners.  You may get better results because it makes you more present during your workouts.  Another great thing is the workout log.  Log your speed, distance, intensity (RPE and Hr), and how it felt to you.  Journals will help you to truly see what kinds of things you are doing to your body and why, which will help you weed out any problems.  Good Luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points