Skip navigation

5761 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2008 1:17 PM by kmagaleski 1 2 Previous Next
Irish Runner77 Legend 780 posts since
Nov 1, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 29, 2008 9:05 AM

Saturday!

This morning was 5 miles around the Noland Trail at a pretty decent pace. Run felt really strong, averaged 9:32/mile on what is one of the hilliest trails in this area. Slight breeze coming off the water made for a chilly beginning to the run, but by the time I was finished I was more than ready to shed my hat & gloves. Followed up the run with a Slim Fast & a banana...and rewarded myself with a Boston Creme donut.

MCM Finisher 2007, 2008, 2009
CMM Finisher 2008
Goofy Challenge Finisher 2009, 2010
Pittsburgh Marathon Finisher 2009
RnR Seattle Finisher 2009

Richmond Finisher 2009

RnR Las Vegas Finisher 2009

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Nov 29, 2008 10:50 AM (in response to Irish Runner77)
    Re: Saturday!

Did 5 as well, promptly thereafter I had a big turkey sandwich, stuffing, gravy, cranberry relish.  Should be an interesting weigh in on Monday.  Have deliberately stayed away from the scales since Thursday.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,414 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Nov 29, 2008 2:05 PM (in response to dutch omi)

9 miles today, 5/1 run/walk, about 11 minute pace. A good run all around.

Len

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Nov 29, 2008 2:20 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

9 miles is a lot, great job, I haven't done more than 8 since Chicago.  How's the heel holding up?

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    4. Nov 29, 2008 3:16 PM (in response to dutch omi)

Wow, sounds great, Len, if you're doing 9 miles with no problem! Good luck on continued progress!

Your run sounds awesome, Chris! Especially the donut I was going to try to get in a long run since I AM supposed to be training for my BQ marathon But my SIL and her three boys came down from Oklahoma and stayed all day and spent the night last night, so I didn't get out there. Family first. Maybe tomorrow...

I haven't ran more than 10 miles since MCM. Not good.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    5. Nov 29, 2008 5:28 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

Houston's calling, Nita!  Of course, this is just the end of the usually recommended recovery time post MCM, so you really haven't lost anything...............That BQ is YOURS!

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    6. Nov 29, 2008 5:30 PM (in response to Immer treu)

No deer on trail, all waiting in yard as I got home; the dogs were very pleased, and my arms now drag the ground.

• Urbster Legend 760 posts since
    May 27, 2008
    7. Nov 29, 2008 8:43 PM (in response to Irish Runner77)

Impressive Len, it's great to hear all about your progress.   I did 2 hours in the gym, 5k on the treadmill, followed by a 1/2 hours of weights,  9 miles on the bike and ended with another 1/2 of weights.  (Working off the turkey).   Last time I did all that I was shot for 3 days ha!  I aint not Jimmy that's for sure,  but I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Jan 18, 2008
    8. Nov 29, 2008 10:18 PM (in response to dutch omi)

Heel's good Charlotte.  I try to maintain a good "kick" to my stride, which keeps my footplant more midfoot, taking pressure off the heel. It was fine during the run, a little sore a couple hours later, but is OK now.

I just registered for three races, all through Active.Com.

1. $50 + $5.95 processing fee (Philadelphia Distance Run)

2. $25 + $2.94 processing fee (Valley Forge 5-mile)

3. $30 + 1.64 processing fee (Midnight Madness)

Can anybody make sense of the "processing fees"?

Len

• kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    9. Nov 30, 2008 7:38 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Len- Im so glad your running again and feeling well. I saw your post and went and registered for the lone ranger part of the race. I want to run 50 miles or 6 laps. i am so excited and glad I read your post  so I knew registration is open. Im doing the fundraising so I need to rasie 150 dollars. im going to have my sons come with and we will stay at a near hotel and they can pace me a bit. Make it a mini- Philly- vacation. I will see you in July- hopefully I will be able to get in shape by then.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    10. Nov 30, 2008 7:50 AM (in response to kmagaleski)
    marathoner06 wrote:

>                

Len- Im so glad your running again and feeling well. I saw your post and went and registered for the lone ranger part of the race. I want to run 50 miles or 6 laps. i am so excited and glad I read your post so I knew registration is open. Im doing the fundraising so I need to rasie 150 dollars. im going to have my sons come with and we will stay at a near hotel and they can pace me a bit. Make it a mini- Philly- vacation. I will see you in July- hopefully I will be able to get in shape by then.

>                

What is the fundraising for?

|

This place is like home!!!!

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    11. Nov 30, 2008 7:52 AM (in response to lenzlaw)
    lenzlaw wrote:

Heel's good Charlotte.  I try to maintain a good "kick" to my stride, which keeps my footplant more midfoot, taking pressure off the heel. It was fine during the run, a little sore a couple hours later, but is OK now.

I just registered for three races, all through Active.Com.

1. $50 + $5.95 processing fee (Philadelphia Distance Run)

2. $25 + $2.94 processing fee (Valley Forge 5-mile)

3. $30 + 1.64 processing fee (Midnight Madness)

Can anybody make sense of the "processing fees"?

A random number generator?

$30 + $1.64 = 5.47%

$25 + $2.94 = 11.76%

$50 + $5.95 = 11.9%

Local tax rates plus a fixed fee?  The really odd one here is that the $30 race had a smaller fee than the $25 race. 

Either that or the same programmers that run the communities are running the billing system.

`

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
    Jan 18, 2008
    12. Nov 30, 2008 8:24 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

Jimmy,

The run supports Back On My Feet (BOMF), which helps the homeless toward a job and a home through running. This is the 20in24 we talked about last summer. Watch the CNN Heroes show if you get a chance. The founder, Anne Mahlum, was selected as one of the heroes. Her story is on toward the end of the two-hour show. http://www.20in24.com

Kathy,

That's probably a good intro to ultra running, since you have 24 hours to finish. And there's a well-organized aid station every 8.5 miles.

Jerry,

The PDR fee may be higher because Elite Racing is taking a cut. But then the Valley Forge race is about the same percentage. Valley Forge and Midnight Maddness both support causes (the National Park and BOMF) so you would think they'd be the same.

Len

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Nov 30, 2008 8:17 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Of course now when I try to register for a few races it won't let me. . .

freakin' active.com

ERROR:

We're sorry, but an error has occurred while attempting to process your request.

Please wait several minutes and then try one of the following:

• In your browser, click Refresh

• In your browser, click Back, and try again

We apologize for this inconvenience.

I'd email it to Toby but I never get a response from him via email.  I would have felt better though if it would have included the "It's not you, it's us." message.  LOL!

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • kmagaleski Legend 739 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    14. Nov 30, 2008 8:19 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

This is the race Len mentioned way back that we both ran. Its run by the organization called Back on My Feet- for the homeless in Philadelphia. Its a great cause and Philly is simply the best city. The race was very well run last year and I figure this is a great way to encourage myself to train and help others at the same time. I have already set up my web site through active if anyone is interested. i have until July so I dont expect a lot of people to be donating just before the holidays. I am just so excited to be committed to this.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...