Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16647 Views 150 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2009 10:23 AM by euphoric RSS Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Dec 21, 2008 2:28 PM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: 50 Plus Training and Racing - December

Ok, ok, thanks for asking.  Time 1:29:36 which allowed me a 1st 50-54 ag and 2nd oa masters.  Winning master ran 1:25:31 or so whichis 30 secs faster than I ran last year.  I was struggling at 4 miles and was in the in serious trouble by 9 miles.  Wheels just fell off.  My main nemises ran the relay and I beat him to the half way point but after that he continued to run and I could not keep up with him.   He didn't score in the oa results or I would have moved down a slot.   The oa master winner has unnnatural legs in that they look like a sculptures' rendering.   He is a strong cyclist who my son rides with and I didn't even recognize him till someone told me his name.  If I had run my goal time I easily would have won masters and 2nd oa.   Winnner ran 1:13 and change after running 1:11 in San Antonio a few weeks ago.   Non of the few around here who could have challenged him at all showed up to run.  

The good news is that dw dropped her 1/2 personal best by 10 minutes down to 2:01 and change on a day that started at 66 degrees and 100% humidity.  She's the true athlete in the family!    

Sorry you guys are suffering thru the cold and snow.  Might get down in 30's here tonight as I know Ribz may have been down in the 20's this morning.

Where is Fred?

• Rich in NH Legend 850 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    106. Dec 21, 2008 3:28 PM (in response to ksrunr)

It's cold almost everywhere, eh?

I didn't venture out into today's blizzard other than to deliver a meal.

Sunday,

40 minutes on the ski machine.

Congrats. to Spareribs and ks, maybe not exactly what you wanted to run, but darn good times just the same.  And congrats. to ks' DW on her new PR.

Euph, my heel would be fine if I'd stop running on it long enough for it to heal. Today is day 6 of no running...

Ribs, Riblet's youtube was fun...

Enjoy life, this ain't a rehearsal...

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    107. Dec 21, 2008 7:06 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Now I feel bad because I didn't commiserate with Euphie and her butt.  I have a sore butt too, not in the glute, but where it was before all this heart business.  ham/piriformis? Not enough to incapacitate, but there all the time.  Bringing that trailing leg forward gives me the jab.  And I know from past experience you can never run fast with it.

Annoyed Ks posted. I am sure I had everyone convinced I had run a faster pace than he did yesterday.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    108. Dec 22, 2008 2:52 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Good luck on that pre heart condition butt Ribz!!!!  

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    109. Dec 22, 2008 6:19 AM (in response to ksrunr)

I'll bet the running residents of KS, the state, were happy to see that talented family move.  Nice going!

Ribs, I wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't a slacker, there is a reason for my time off the road.  It's not actually a pain in the butt, but at the point where the tendon connects the hamstring group to pelvis at the ischial tuberosity.  Last year, I ignored the symptoms.  I now have the same issue on the left, but have started physical therapy lots sooner.  Symptoms nagged for a while and then my last bike ride did me in.  Good news is that the right side is completely resolved with no residual symptoms.  I have every reason to believe the same will be true on the left.  It's a pretty typical overuse injury, but I thought I had been doing the right things to prevent this from happening again.

I went to the pool yesterday for a planned 2 hr workout.  Some other friends came just as I was finishing resulting in one more hour.  Half of that time was without  the belt.  Tonight is a 2 hr session including intervals, 3 sets of 1:30, 30 seconds rest, 5 minutes between sets.  I will wear the belt for those!

I have pt this afternoon and hope to get the okay to put the bike on the trainer for some easy pedaling.  I've already cleared space and have the bike and trainer ready to set up inside, much to my husband's dismay.  

I hope JP will check in with an update.

Dec 14, 2007
    110. Dec 22, 2008 10:00 AM (in response to fred-urie)

4.5 on the dirt with my wife.  28 degrees out, but to listen to her you would think it was 40 below.

I still think I can outrun Ks, maybe next race.  I see him trembling now.  Spareribs

Dec 10, 2007
    111. Dec 22, 2008 4:09 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Spareribs, there's no doubt you can outrun ks. You've probably seen on the news a prisoner being led into court in shackles so he can't run? You just need a pair of those shackles... lol

Monday,

Cross trained shoveling snow off my roof, then 3.5 miles on XC skis. Wanted to ski 4, but ran out of daylight.

Euphoric, you'll have the most durable backside in Pa. when this is over. Good luck!

Aug 14, 2007
    112. Dec 23, 2008 6:00 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Shackles eh?   Reminds me of a story I  heard on the radio this week or last.  Seems a husband handcuffed his wife to the bed.  Afterwards he must have called the police as he couldn't find the key.  hmmmmm?

5 ez miles this morning in the light drizzle 45 degree weather with no wind.  I overdressed of course.  Tonight some track work or fartlek depending on the condition of the track.

Have a good day all; stay warm yuse Northerners

Dec 14, 2007
    113. Dec 23, 2008 9:53 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Yes, we had that same drizzle Ks, but up here it was a balmy 36.   5.6 miles easy.

Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    114. Dec 24, 2008 9:28 AM (in response to fred-urie)

4.5 easy at the dirt track.  Beautiful day here, low 50's and sunny.  I will have another 30 mile week this week, my 3rd in a row, and stay there through year-end.  Then 35 a week through January.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    115. Dec 24, 2008 10:44 AM (in response to fred-urie)

It's so warm here I'm not going to tell you about it.  Christmas is suppose to be warmer.  Let's just say if the sun appears I could get a sunburn tomorrow on my run.

Last night warmup cool down 4 X .75 mile and cool down.  6 miles total.  Ran with watch but ignored till the workout over.  Tried to run by feel around 4:45 ea with 400 recovery jog.   4:45, 44, 48, 42

Today called for midweek long run of 11 miles.  Tired at about 7 miles but finised avg 8:10 pace in the hills.

Will run Christmas day as family can't get together until evening because of work schedules.  Daughter and daughter in law both medically employed and they get to work Christmas day.  Both had off Thanksgiving.  First year for us to have a grand daughter (4 y.o) and we get to have her overnight on Christmas eve.  

Merry Christmas ya'll

Aug 14, 2007
    116. Dec 24, 2008 12:07 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Sending holiday greetings to all from our sheet of ice region!

C'mon, Fred.  Please let us know all is well.

Dec 10, 2007
    117. Dec 24, 2008 12:31 PM (in response to euphoric)

Yeah Fred, hope all is well.

Still cross training, 4 miles of skiing both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dec 14, 2007
    118. Dec 24, 2008 5:41 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Good for the prompt Euphie.  For the record, Fred last posted on Dec 11th with an injury on the "hamstring machine".  Fred, check in.

And if you don't want to check in, Merry Christmas anyway.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    119. Dec 26, 2008 2:39 AM (in response to Spareribs823)

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...